IGNORED

I've done it, officially retired, for now.

Midrsv

Thanks to my company downsizing, effective last week, 10/31 I officially joined the ranks of the retired. I always wondered how you knew when you had saved enough to retire. Now I know. At first I was a little pissed but after it set in and I ran through all of the numbers I realized I was ready to retire and should. I've not worked for the last couple of months and I'm really getting used to the time off.

I've been catching up on a few household chores and taking a few weekday rides. I'll probably soon get bored enough that I'll get into something a couple of days a week.

It's sure nice not to have to worry about solving problems every day.

If I can offer a word of advice to those of you still working, SAVE!

Dennis

Takes a bit of time to get used to the idea of NOT working...but once you get through that, you will just love it. May have to make a few adjustments in lifestyle and spending money, but hey...we have done it all during our working life, so just relax and enjoy whats left of your life. Working a few days a week is not a bad idea either.

Greed is what makes people unhappy. Live a simple life and thank god for what you have.

:ice_congrats-vi6886and :wel_ani3Tay: to the club.

I am in a similar position. I was "downsized" out of a job in February, just six months before my 65th birthday. Still haven't been able to regulate my routine the way I should. Can't accustom myself to the time off.

Your advice is well spoken concerning the need to prepare for the unemployment line. :backinmyday: It may come earlier than expected. I wish you well with your new found freedom.

If you get bored... could always get a job as a Walmart greeter!

Now that sounds like a job I think I will be able to enjoy. I am sure you could have some fun doing this job.

Congrats and Enjoy whatever you do.

Brad

I "retired" when I was 52.

I tried running a business for 5 years which was great being my own boss.... but it wasn't going anywhere so I gave up on it when I was 57.

Been totally free since then.

Broke...but free!

Loving every minute of it.

I also retired at 52, learn to live on your retirment and pick up a part time job if you need something to do but don't commit like you need the job to live on. been 10 years now and enjoy the freedom of not having to go to work everyday. I still don't know how I did all the things around the house and worked 7 days a week, try to think about how next week maybe. enjoy it while you can, never know when you or the wife will get sick,

Dennis, I retired 11 years ago, when I was 47. Retirement will keep you busy. My wife never has a honey-do list for me, because the moment she mentions something she would like done...I am on it, and it gets done right then and there. Now I just have to wait 12 more years for my wife to retire.

You will have more time for more riding. Enjoy !:backinmyday:

Since I retired a few years ago I have found that I do not need to fill the entire day every day. I just found things to do that give me a bit of structure and that don't require a "full time" commitment. I became active in my Fleet Reserve Association branch, I belong to and fill time with my STAR chapter, I joined the PGR. I have a number of things that I do around the house that still allow me and the wife to do short notice/spur of the moment trips and rides. I spend a lot of time on the computer (STAR chapter webmaster) keeping up with old friends from my Navy career, and just playing games etc. I've enjoyed retirement and have not let it turn me into a couch potato. Well,....maybe a little bit of a CP :whistling:

Thanks for all of the advice. One thing I've noticed since I stopped working is that I am not very efficient with my time. 30 minute jobs I used to do around the house now take all morning or afternoon. It's hard for me to gen in a rush to do anything now.

I'm getting into a routine. I still get up at the regular time to see my wife off to work and then I run up to the nearby McDonalds to meet my riding buddies for coffee each morning. After that it's time for my mid-morning nap. And then on to lunch. A few chores in the afternoon and then help with dinner. Whew, tires me out thinking about it.

I've got a small business opportunity that I plan to startup after the first of the year that should keep me busy a couple of days a week and provide fun money to keep me out of my 401k.

Dennis

Congratulations even if it wasn't on your terms. I went thru that myself and it sort of makes one wonder "Now What?". In the end it'll all work out. :080402gudl_prv:

Larry

Our company has been doing a lot of changes when it comes to healthcare benefits that keeps on going up every year and retirement benefits. Several of my coworkers who have been with the company for over 20 years had to place an early retirement, because if they stay longer with the company they will actually be loosing some retirement benefits. We have the so cold new and old retirement benefit package and I chose to stay in the old package. The economy is still very volatile. Companies are trying to save money in any shape or form. :whistling:

Our company has been doing a lot of changes when it comes to healthcare benefits that keeps on going up every year and retirement benefits. Several of my coworkers who have been with the company for over 20 years had to place an early retirement, because if they stay longer with the company they will actually be loosing some retirement benefits. We have the so cold new and old retirement benefit package and I chose to stay in the old package. The economy is still very volatile. Companies are trying to save money in any shape or form. :whistling:

Ya I hear ya loud and clear on this. I actually retired twice. . First time when I was 52 from a career as a wrench for the county. Had the time in and if I stayed longer I would of lost some benifits so chose to bail and went to work full time as a wrench for a local golf course. After 8 years there management decided to cut wages by 25%. Just couldn't see doing that so quit. My second job now is providing folks here with products that enhances ownership of the RSV's/RSTD's. I keep busy enough that I don't want anonther career job.

Larry

With your daily routine in place, it is a good idea to add a workout routine three times a week. Perhaps your local gym can be your favorite hangout places in the am.

Now that's a good idea. I'll look into that. It may have to wait until I get my new knee next month.