IGNORED

Raining nuts and falling snow

meach

We've had so many nuts this year there have been days where it seems it was raining nuts, gonna have to use a shovel to clean up around the house, don't recall ever having so many especially with the drought we've been having, been a while since any rain. Have to watch out for falling nuts when out riding on windy days. Now the mountains have snow, US441 closed thru the smokies due to snow, early for snow, heck last year not many days all winter below freezing. Crazy weather. And now all this wind has blown over a pretty large oak tree thats been dead a while in the woods out back, guess I'll be out cleaning up the mess, when the nuts stop falling cause the little suckers hurt when they hit you in the head.

Heres a link to some pic of snow on Mt. Leconte up in the Smokies.

http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-posts.html

Edited by meach

I was out riding the other day and as I was going down this country road I went under the branches of a tree that had a few branches came out over the highway.

A nut fell off a branch as I was under it and it came down and hit me in the left cheek..

Man I thought I got shot at first it stung so bad.. Im glad it didnt hit my sunglasses on my left eye, but it was just underneath the glasses when it hit me.. man that stung..I had to pull over and make sure my cheek wasnt cut. The left sife of my face turned all red and began swelling up, and my eye started wattering so much I couldnt see.

Be carefull going under tree limbs that hang over the highway....Ya never know..

Meach, I've been in this house for 11 years, have removed a number of trees over the years, and still have more acorns and nuts on the ground then I've ever seen before. It must be cyclical or a result of the lack of rain this fall or something. It's crazy! I will be renting a large yard vac next week to run across the property to clean this up before any of them take root. One thing is for sure - - the squirrels will be fat and happy this winter!

Time for my full face helmet to come out of the closet.

:rotf:

I live in the woods. A hickory tree filled woods. Due to a leak, I a had part of the roof replaced with metal. Sometimes I think it's opening day of hunting season. At midnight. How do these guys see at night.

I know what you are talking about. My parents, who lived up in Knoxville, many years after I was gone installed some metal awnings over their windows. This large oak tree happened to be over one window near the room I would stay in on visits, while visiting one Fall I was sound asleep and then BANG, then again BANG, I jumped up and didn't realize what it was at first. They eventually covered that awning with carpeting but it would still make a racket, they just got used to it. :)

I sure wish the trees around here would have made a crop this year. Its goona be slim picking for a lot of the wildlife over the winter.

We had the early warmup and the trees started to bloom early and then there was a freeze that wiped out most of the crop from most kinds of trees.

Some of the orchards had a total loss. The oaks and other mast producers did not fare well either.