IGNORED

how do you remove saddlebags 88 Venture

Ok so I have searched for tips to rmove saddlebags, but I have not found any. I need to replace the rear brake pads and I can't figure out what all I need to remove to get the bag off? Any tips or suggestions????

I find it easier to take them both off with the centerpiece still connected- all as an assembly. Following the owner manual procedure is far more work as far as I'm concerned.

8 bolts and associated wiring unclippiage and they should come right off.

I find it easier to take them both off with the centerpiece still connected- all as an assembly. Following the owner manual procedure is far more work as far as I'm concerned.

8 bolts and associated wiring unclippiage and they should come right off.

Not sure what you mean, but am interested. Can you explain a bit more.

I removed then both at the same time also.

There are four bolts that hold each saddlebag to the frame. Remove them and the bags are free.

Next twist and remove the turn signal sockets from the housing just above the exhausts.

Slide the bags back and off the rear of the bike. You have to carefully flex them outward a little bit and they'll come off.

Put them back on by reversing the process. Pay attention to the rubber grommets coming off and back on.

Dave

• 8 years later...

Hi All,  I've had 4 Ventures and have never needed to remove the bags to change the brake pads... You can remove the caliper from in front of the right side bag and replace the pads right there.  Also, I've never had to remove the bags to remove the rear tire either, just the exhaust and caliper... comes right out the right side, down & back... while on center stand or small bike lift.

I have removed them one at a time and as a pair. Time wise I find little difference and therefore I prefer to remove them as separate units as they are less awkward to handle this way specially if you only need to remove one side. you do not need to remove all the chrome  or the signal light either.

STEP 1:  From inside the box

1. remove the 4 big screws (2 on the upper inside wall and 2 on the bottom)
  2. remove the nut at the back of the box which secures the reflector (one in each box)

STEP 2: From outside the box

1. remove the four small screws that hold the center piece of the pumper to the end pieces (2 screws on each end) also (the end pieces do not need to be removed from the box)
  2. From underneath twist out the turn signal bulb holders The box is now ready to lift off.

Even though the brake pads can be reached without removing the box for the few minutes it takes to remove the one saddlebag it gives you handier access to the caliper.

Edited by saddlebum