IGNORED

centerstand mounting w calif. emissions

Hey, fellas.

Today I built the bracketry to mount a first gen stand as per Freebird's excellent tech article. I have, however, run into something Freebird never encountered, and he suggested I post here to find out what to do.

As you can see, the charcoal cannister has to come off to make room for the stand. Seems like connecting the 2 hoses together is probably the way to go, but I'm afraid it will change the way it runs. The cannister is vented to air, so should I put a tee down there?

Any suggestions to keep me from messing things up would be appreciated!

I guess nobody has had to deal with the charcoal canister when mounting a centerstand. Well, now I have. Not sure how much interest there is, but here goes. The bracket bolts to the same frame tab the canister bolts to. There was almost enough room. I only had to modify my bracket a little. I drilled out and tapped the welded in nuts on the charcoal canister to accept the 3/8 stand mounting bolts. Then I needed to relieve the bracket arm on one side. Now I have a stand, and the emissions system on the RSV remains unmolested.

I have torn my share of emissions junk off of cars a long time ago. One of those ended up biting me when they changed the laws in Pima county. Now they test motorcycles in Maricopa county (Phoenix) and I'm afraid we will follow suit down here. Otherwise we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

I have torn my share of emissions junk off of cars a long time ago. One of those ended up biting me when they changed the laws in Pima county. Now they test motorcycles in Maricopa county (Phoenix) and I'm afraid we will follow suit down here. Otherwise we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

Sorry I didn't respond to your post, but it's kinda tuff when in the hospital on a Kindle Fire. I put a Rivco stand on my '99 last year and never even remember seeing that canister...and it's a Ca bike. Maybe like Don said a PO removed it?? I did have to move a smog valve? mounted to the inside of the frame to the outside that was a PITA.