The doesn't work. If the bike runs a while the tach moves to about 1000 RPMs, but doesn't respond with engine speed changes. I have removed the gauge and it moves freely. Any thoughts.

Mine does something similar.

It is sluggish to get going at all. When I have been running a while it generally behaves.

It probably needs a good clean, but honestly ... I just ignore it. I don't need a tach to tell me anything much, and I'll get to it next time the front is open.

The bike is an 89. I just bought and it does run bad at idle and under light throttle. When I ride it is very sluggish at low engine speed as the rpms rise response and power greatly increase. The tach only goes to 1000 after about 10 minutes of ridding, but never any higher. When I shut it down it drops back to zero. I have removed the tach and it moves freely no binding at all. Is there an easy way to check the TCI, also where is it mounted?

Thanks again :confused24:

Now not to get off topic here but I would first get a can of Seafoam and run it through the tank a few times to solve the sluggishness and try to get it firing on all cylinders.

Next can you get your hands on another tachometer to test against? Also check the tech section on how to properly connect the tachometer. You never know what the last guy did so you kind of start from scratch and recheck everything. Including if it is firring on all cylinders.

Seafoam wont help him if the ignition module is dead.

To get to it, you need to remove the front fairing and the air box, search for TCI relocation here for instructions and more info..

I am betting you have a dead or failing TCI. tach messing up is one of the first signs of it and it is very common on these bikes. I would also look at the "aftermarket TCI" threads as that is where you will need to go. Unless you are dead set on a stock one, I bought about 5 of them and threw them all in the trash before I bought the ingitech aftermarket replacement.