IGNORED

You go where you look. A pictoral.

royalstarjac

Well, I have had my pics taken by Killboy and Slayer129. Cool service, BUT, had they not been there taking this guys pic, he probably would not have been looking at the camera. Of course he may also have been going to fast for the curve. Only he knows for sure. When riding the Dragon or any other twisty road, you can't be looking off to the side, you have to keep your eyes on the road!

WOW that sucks. You could sort of tell it wasnt going to be good when the bike was leaned and next pic it was straight up. Also the question of the extra gear comes to mind as a factor. Part of my reasoning for staying off the Dragon last week with the wife. Hope the guy is doing OK.

Personally, I think he was paying way too much attention to the camera and not enough to the road. I just did the Dragon last month. Did the Moonshiner 28 the next day pulling a trailor, so I don't know what the extra gear has anything to do with it. As the title of this thread says, you go where you look. He was looking at the camera on the left, he went left, not right, and straight into a really nice Vette. Hope the photo op was worth it.

Notice the skid marks on the apex of the turn heading to the other lane?

Definitely too interested in the photo op rather than watching where he was going. From the lean going into the corner he would hav been better off trying to make the curve rather than hitting the brake (didn't skid).

I too feel sorry for the Vette driver. Nice car and didn't take much to take the fender off !

Notice the skid marks on the apex of the turn heading to the other lane?

Definitely too interested in the photo op rather than watching where he was going. From the lean going into the corner he would hav been better off trying to make the curve rather than hitting the brake (didn't skid).

I too feel sorry for the Vette driver. Nice car and didn't take much to take the fender off !

Don't think he hit the brake untill he was already standing almost straight up. Must have let off the throttle.

Corvette took a solid hit as the tire came off the bike. He must have been going a pretty good clip.

Brad

I can see that he:

First looked at the camera,,,, mistake

Second he looked at the car,,,,, ok, but,,,,

Third, he kept looking at the car,,,,, baaad mistake.

I might have it all wrong, hard to figure once it's all over, but had he glanced at the car, realized his predicament and then right away looked to where he wanted to go, he might just have made it.

I was doing the same corner as he was once, all right it wasn't as sharp, but it laid out the wrong way and I was not watching where I was to be going, I was adjusting my intercom instead. When I looked up I was on the wrong side of the line with a cage coming at me. All that came to me was: if you want to go right,,,,, look right and push right. Well I did just that,,, hard,,,, and the boys and girls following me breathed a sigh of relief, the bike just popped over the line and the cage and I missed. Maybe it was an Angel, they do help out, I know that,,,, it sure worked for me.

I can see that he:

First looked at the camera,,,, mistake

Second he looked at the car,,,,, ok, but,,,,

Third, he kept looking at the car,,,,, baaad mistake.

I might have it all wrong, hard to figure once it's all over, but had he glanced at the car, realized his predicament and then right away looked to where he wanted to go, he might just have made it.

I was doing the same corner as he was once, all right it wasn't as sharp, but it laid out the wrong way and I was not watching where I was to be going, I was adjusting my intercom instead. When I looked up I was on the wrong side of the line with a cage coming at me. All that came to me was: if you want to go right,,,,, look right and push right. Well I did just that,,, hard,,,, and the boys and girls following me breathed a sigh of relief, the bike just popped over the line and the cage and I missed. Maybe it was an Angel, they do help out, I know that,,,, it sure worked for me.

I agree with you 100% Carl!!

It's amazing how easily we can get caught up in our own vanity, huh. Glad he wasn't hurt any worse than it sounds cause he took a heckuva ride. I'm also guessing the 'vette driver pinched a BIG chunk out of the seat too. But at least it was an OLD, WORN OUT 'vette, an '01 with 111,000 miles. Killboys f-i-l, who runs the tailofthedragon website, is constantly on the cops "targeting" 129, but in reality accidents like these are what helps them in justifying it. Like the old saying goes, "it's all fun and games 'til somebody gets hurt". I freely admit that I've "over-ridden" it, and realized it every time. The thing that scares/concerns me more than cages are the crotch-rocketeers that seem to want to play mirror tag with you. 5 or 6 years ago I actually brushed elbows with one coming up out of a curve, and I ain't lying, it scared the crap outta me! :shock3:

Here's a post by the driver of the Vette, and he says the rider may have injured his wrist.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...he-dragon.html

Wow a hard lesson and lucky rider

the comments in one of these threads are saying the left behind fork oil from this crash caused another biker to lose it and get hurt bad..

Who is responsible for that kind of cleanup after a wreck? wrecker service?

Seems like it would be important on that stretch of road

Wow a hard lesson and lucky rider

the comments in one of these threads are saying the left behind fork oil from this crash caused another biker to lose it and get hurt bad..

Who is responsible for that kind of cleanup after a wreck? wrecker service?

Seems like it would be important on that stretch of road

Usually the wrecker service on small fluids like this and with larger messes DOTD and DEQ if it involves a certain amount of hazmat.