IGNORED

Looking at a 99 RSV

It appears to be pretty clean. It has about 65K miles. New upgraded stator put in within last 5000 miles. Needs a rear tire. Clutch rebuilt at same time stator was done. I am wondering what else I should be looking for with the miles it has on it. I am sure I will change all the fluids. Probably get the valves checked/adjusted. I also know there were some rear shock problems. Is this something I shoudl plan on changing, or just ride until it is needed? Anybody know approximately the cost of having the dealer do the valves? The price is $4799/OBO. Is that a good price and if not, what should I be trying to get it for?

Thanks for any advice.

Zak

that's a good question im not sure about the 99 RSV but others will chime in that are more knowledgeable on this and welcome to the form this place has a great bunch of nut cases here hope you will fit in + its the best 12 bucks i ever spent

There really weren't a lot of things to watch for on the '99 as opposed to later years. Check the bottom of the trunk to make sure it is not cracked. Yamaha released a "fix" for a problem where it wasn't well supported and some started cracking.

There were some problems with the antenna's on the '99 models. They changed the design the following year.

Otherwise, just the typical things for these bikes. Ride it to make sure that there is not a whine too loud for you to live with. That is not specific to the '99 though.

I think alot of the watch points have been touched. I didnt know about the trunks. Rear shock, clutch basket whine. Maybe look at the mount bracket for lowers to see if its cracked, and of course check out the sound system. Jake Wilson had commander II Michelins on sale earlier this month. Happy hunting.

Hello Zsiska;

Got my 99 new in Oct of 2000 and think it's one of the best bike's on the road. Have 112k on it now and have addressed all the issue's brought up. Being the first yr. of the 2nd gen., I had a number of problems that were all taking care of by the warranty. One of them was the antenna's which I fianally confronted in 2003, and they replaced the 99's with 2003 antenna's, (bad design). I kept a good amount of air in my rear shock, so it lasted about 70k when everybody else's went much earlier, but they redesined it. But I was passed the warranty and had to pay for this; but put it on myself to save a few bucks. I just took bike in for some work of which one problem was a leaky valve cover, and this is how bullet proof this engine is, the last time I had the valve's checked, it had 15k on it, and they were fine, that was over 90k miles ago. Getting ready to change the clutch again, do it myself, easy fix. Not sure what they get price wise with this low mileage, but sounds pretty fair, good luck in your desision and hope you don't have to spend any extra bucks. :mo money:

Lots of good advise here, personally, unless it's pretty spotless and shows VERY well, $4K is about a realistic price. The 65K isn't a big deal, if it's been maintained well. I would want to see receipts either for the owner buying oil and such, or a dealer invoice if it was performed by a dealer.

The stator replacement I would want to know who did it. I am fairly good at doing them, having 6 under my belt. I still had some issues with leaks around the wires and I'm anal on cleaning all the surfaces. What I'm driving to is making sure it was done properly. The valve job is a reasonable size job, and at 65K it's about time to check them. If your handy, it's just time, but if your a bit apprehensive then a dealer is the best bet.

Thanks for the responses. I am feeling a little more comfortable about possibly buying a bike with 65K miles now. I do have one question after reading the responses. Why do the clutches need replacing so often? I think about the one in my Concours that has about 60K miles and teh clutch is like brand new. Different kind of clutch maybe?

Thanks for the responses. I am feeling a little more comfortable about possibly buying a bike with 65K miles now. I do have one question after reading the responses. Why do the clutches need replacing so often? I think about the one in my Concours that has about 60K miles and teh clutch is like brand new. Different kind of clutch maybe?

For some reason (Easier pull? Lower cost?), Yamaha put on a rather weak clutch spring and the last friction disk is only a half disk. What can happen is that after a while, the clutch may slip when suddenly hitting the throttle in 4th or 5th gear, especially if revs are low and the engine is relatively cold. If you keep doing that, the clutch disks will eventually wear down faster and the slip will occur more often and even in the lower gears. Skydoc17 sells a kit with a stronger spring and a full disk to replace the half disk and this will solve the problem and last for a long, long time. The increase in pressure on the clutch pull is minor and you won't even notice after a day or so. I also found that the kit really smoothed out the clutch action and got rid of a ltitle "grab" that mine had at the end of the clutch travel when leaving from a stop. It's a very easy job to do and you don't even have to drain the oil as long as you leave the bike on its sidestand. In my case, I decided to order all new clutch friction disks as well and basically give myself an all new clutch. It was well worth the money and I highly recommend it.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies. I have decided to buy Bumblebees. bike. meeting him next Saturday. even with the high miles, I feel confident that I am getting a well cared fir ride that will last me another 70k miles.

You should do just fine with that bike, he's taken good care of it from what I can see. It was a good price too....and theres not another one like it

:)

apart from minor maint. you should get more than another 70k try 170k it will last as long as you take care of it and put good parts and oil in it maint. is the key to the longevity of any thing mech. also 12 bucks will get you months of free internet mechanics good friends and some good coffee and food :confused24::whistling:

My '99 has 90K miles now, and no major issues at all. It got a new clutch kit at 40K, a new ignition at 70K, and just had a nice little tune up last week to replace the valve cover gaskets which had a very small leak, coolant flush, plugs, fuel filter, fluids and filters. The plugs were OK, but as long as you're in there that deep, it pays to replace them. The bike has never had a valve adjustment and shows no signs of needing one, and only one carb tune at this year's North GA maintenance day, which also showed that no adjustments were needed. This 4-banger engine is really an amazing piece of engineering, and with regular maintenance should last forever.

I think you will really love yours. Congrats!