IGNORED

After market radio problems

SapperJM

All, I'm differing to the vast knowledge of you guys.

I've got a 2007 RSTD with a Hoppe Quadzillza fairing and every radio that I've mounted has cut out after a short time. The latest Kenwood has lasted the longest at just under a year. But they all start out the same, first the radio light will cut out but the unit still plays fine then after awhile the unit starts to cut out and restart itself, next it'll cut out and not work until I restart the bike. That's usually the point were I replace the thing but this one has now cut out completely. I may have a blown fuse and I'll look at it when I change to a taller windshield for the winter, probably this weekend.

Now my questions are does anyone have any experience with an after market radio with a remote that can take the vibrations of a motorcycle, and would adding amps help with anything other than sound quality?

Also has anyone used a Harley radio on a metric bike?

Thanks in advance.

On my 900 Kawasaki I had a reckless motorcycle fairing. It was for a HD. Anyways I tried 3 different "car" radios in it. None survived. I started with a Pyle marine type PLCD15MR Problem I had was the slot in the fairing I had to "shave" off some of the heat sink off the top rear of the radio. I lasted a few weeks and something insid shook loose and no more worky worky. Also no warrenty as I had modified it. I still have to old unit and can measure it it up you decide to go that route. I'm pretty sure you will need some sort of bracket on the back side to help support. So then I tried 2 different Sony or something from Wal-Mart. Suposedly were ATV/off road types. I forget what went south on the first, but the second only worked a week. What I ended up doing was using a small "credit card" sized radio, and added an amp. Would something like this work for you? I used a radio like this. And than I used a simular looking amp to the link already posted. However it was not remote. Actually this unit looks pretty good. FM/has an SD card slot/USB and aux input. I made a cover plate out of thin alum where the radio went and then took the face plate off the amp unit and drilled holes etc and mounted it where radio use to be. http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n360/gemma_ward123/IMG_4643_.jpg

Thanks Guys that's why I asked, I was running out of ideas. Bumble Bee, I have tried a marine radio actually all of them were marine radios except this last one which lasted the longest and one other i was thinking just like you on the waves.

djh3-that looks promising one thing I forgot to mention is an aux port. I'd like to be able to play my IPOD and get FM anything else is a plus.

Guest tx2sturgis

Take a look at the Shark Products:

http://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/

I have not personally tried these, but if I were going to replace things on my bike, this is where I would start.

[ame]

[/ame]

By the way, the HD touring bike radios are built to use the factory controls built-in to the handgrip control housings. I dont know if that can be adapted for use on another type of bike. There might be a way to adapt the Road Tech riser-mount radio, but its not gonna be cheap OR easy to do.

http://www.speedsupplies.com/accessorylistingdetailpurch.asp?item=39494

Edited by tx2sturgis

Sapper-the first link I think it was is an Amp. It had SD card slot, was capable of FM (who listens to AM anyways) and Aux port and USB. I had the little radio deal on mine, it is AM/FM has a clock and an AUX in and headset out port. The Amp you would simply wire into your existing speakers. I bought mine it came with some chicy 2" speakers that are still in the garage somewhere. Only glitch I see with one like this is the antenna. Its attached to the back of the unit. The little credit card radio uses just a wire your suposed to tape on the inside of the faring. I made a socket so I could hook a car antenna to it. If you go with this type make sure you get a DC power cord. I picked this one over the one I had in the link because this one actually has a read out for what channel your on. The remote I would put a piece of velcro on the rubber on the tank and one on remote and stick it to it on trips or when you want.

http://www.pennybuying.com/pbuying/nEO_IMG_F978B-1.jpg

I bought and installed in a tank bag, the Jensen MODEL JHD910 marine, industrial application radio. AM / FM weather channel. So far so good, seems to be a very good radio.

How long it will last, ??? don't know yet. But they are expensive, so I'm assuming is pretty good quality. So far I am happy with its performance.

Guest tx2sturgis
Thanks for the input. I'm gonna try the SHark system for sure and I'll post the results!!!

Better yet, make a short video of the install and post a link to it on youtube!

:happy34:

• 3 weeks later...

Well My computer's been acting up a bit lately. But I went out to start tearing into the bike and guess what the wire connector to my fuse had slipped off. So I changed the windshield and went riding. No Shark system needed but I do have plans for a softail that'll include one in the future.

Thanks guys