IGNORED

gps

amr

i'm thinking of getting a gps and i'm looking at the zumo 550,tomtom rider 2 or the garmin nuvi 680 for use on the scooter some and for the wife in her car,about the only time we rider in rain is when we get out and just get caught in it so i could stop and put it in the saddlebag to keep from getting wet.i ride a 07 venture and thinking about the bluetooth for phone and gps when i get one so can you guys share some knowledge

thanks mike

I have the Zumo 550 and I love it. The touch screen is designed to be used with or without bulky motorcycle gloves. It has soooooo many options that I haven't even used them all yet. Plus, it comes with a separate cradle for the car and a car charger. I take mine everywhere.

I have not used the other GPS systems but after reading the option lists of them all, it looks like the Zumo is the best bang for your buck.:2cents:

Guest KitCarson

THE ZUMO!!!!!!! I am the new kid with GPS, thought it was just a gadget, and could be a safety concern........not so!!! These things are great, I ended up the the Zumo 450 which now resides in my truck or jeep, as I have a new bike with a built in GPS.......it has not missed a beat......takes you right to the front door.......tells you where everything is.........and learned a lot about them in the last month or so.....and for the bike.......the Zumo is the best one made. If you just want one for directions.......and or maybe an MP3 player with a cable plugged into the aux of the cassette.....the 450 is just as good as the 550.....and available from Amazon......for less than $500 bucks. The 550 has lots more features........so many...it takes a college degree to figure out all it does.........the screen is easier to see......it is made better, easy to program.......as for using any of them with gloves on.......:whistling:

The only bad thing I could come up with the Zumo is a couple people were having trouble with the little rubber push buttons rotting and falling out...but I suspect these bikes sat outside.......in the weather......in the sun........all the time.....the Zumo is a very good product, and has a no questions asked type of warranty. Kit

I got one 3 months ago and wouldnt leave home without it, not sure how it would mount on your bike yet I have it in the truck But Loveit The garmin is rated #1 world wide not just in USA

The nuva is made by Garmin so if it works on your bike you cannot go wrong, Plus go to costco.com and look to see if they are offering the discount from the online purchase, you can save 100.00 (not bad)

The blue toothe works fine when you connect to your Gps it automaticaly detects your phone nummbers aand displays them on screen pretty nice, the problom will be hearing the speaker phone in the GPS it needs to be kinda quite for me to hear I dont think it would work on my bike , but it Might...Hope this helps.

Blessings,

NanPaw

Zumo 550 - I have this wired into the bike's system and can use my bluetooth phone thru my helmet speakers - with voice commands. It is really nice.

As for all the other features - I use the MP3 player in it, the screen is easy to use with gloves, the planning software is OK (not great, but OK). It is rugged - have dropped it twice on concrete and it hasn't missed a beat.

Spend the extra money and you will not be disappointed.

RR

Zumo 550 is the way to go, mount it on your handle bar with the Moto cradle, hook it up to the battery, to your auxilliary audio input and let it guide you to your destination.

The 550 let you create your own routes, let you exchange routes with fellow riders, has MP3 reader, picture viewer, bluetooth, XM capabilities .

Great unit for bikers.

I have a Nuvi 350 and love it.

Pros:

Small and easy to carry / mount on different vehicles.

MP3 Player - Directions interrupt music at the correct volume.

No Hard Drive (won't shake apart)

Great display, software, ability to speak any words, even custom entered.

Cons:

No Bluetooth if you want phone etc (available on 360)

2 GB SD card Max (can swap cards for more or 360 has 4GB max)

Not Waterproof (Ziplock & Rubber band cure that when needed)

I'm thinking seriously about a GPS, and am wondering about the hookup. For the audio hookup, do you plug it into the jack next to the cassette player or can I hard wire it somewhere? I have had no experience with the Venture audio other than FM through the speakers and have even less experience with GPS technology. Is the Zumo a good starting point? Or will I be overwhelmed?