IGNORED

Hi low off switch for heated gear.

I'm wiring up my heated vest and I am installing a hi low off switch. Anyone know what type of switch I should get? Spdt or dpdt? I would prefer one that I only need to wire in a single power source so it should have a built in resistor if there is such a thing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

While toggle switches are often preferred, for this I would choose a rotary, no chance that it gets "bumped" to an unwanted mode...

If 13 Amps will cover ya, here's one...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Power-First-Rotary-Switch-Maintained/dp/B002A2Y1A6]Power First 2VLR8 Rotary Switch,Maintained,SP3T,13/6.5A: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/211yrQAJ8QL.@@AMEPARAM@@211yrQAJ8QL[/ame]

I've been looking into the first gear heat troller. It would be much easier and looks like a great switch. I would probably go with the dual so I could control 2 things. Does anyone have one of these? How does it work? Does anyone have a cheaper type? I don't really want to spend over 100 dollars for some wire and switches. Thanks

Guest tx2sturgis
I've been looking into the first gear heat troller. It would be much easier and looks like a great switch. I would probably go with the dual so I could control 2 things. Does anyone have one of these? How does it work? Does anyone have a cheaper type? I don't really want to spend over 100 dollars for some wire and switches. Thanks

Those variable controllers have more in there than just wire and switches.

They nearly all use PWM (pulse width modulation) to vary the amount of wattage that the heated gear or device will consume. This involves some electronic components, usually MOSFETS and some other fancy sounding parts.

The controller varies the 'duty cycle' by continuously switching the 12V source on and off hundreds of times per second, depending on where the control is set, to change the amount of heat generated.

It would be nice if they only cost $20, but sadly, they usually cost around $50 to $120 or more, depending on features and capacity.

I have a variable controller on my heated grips on 2 bikes, plus the variable controller for my heated vest. With a variable contoller, you can dial in the exact amount of heat you need. A 2 position switch is normally at 50% or 100%...not a very good solution.

I think the controllers are WELL WORTH THE MONEY. And thats my final answer. :happy34: