IGNORED

What is my body doing to me?

KarlS

Yesterday around 1:00pm I felt a slight pain in my right elbow, by 4:00pm it hurt like hell just to move it, by 7:00pm it was swelled up three times it's normal size and could hardly move it. 10:00pm it was swelled up, won't bend and turning purple. Called a friend of my Daughters Mother to see if my Daughter could spend the night so I could go to ER. Got to Er and set and set and set until they finally got me in and took x-rays. I have an infection in the fluid sack of my right elbow, pumped me full of antibiotics (after blowing out a vein in my left arm) and gave me a script for more antibiodics and sent me home at 5:00am. Called my family doctor and he said they should of drawn some of the fluid out to see what kind of infection I have, so he's waiting for the hospital report to see if anything else needs to be done. Now I hurt like hell, can't sleep, can not hardly use my right arm and drinking wine with my left hand with the hope the wine will let me sleep. If this is a sign of old age, I vote NO. :backinmyday:

FYI..

A few antibiotics — such as metronidazole (Flagyl), tinidazole (Tindamax) and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim) — should not be mixed with alcohol because this may result in a more severe reaction.

Drinking any amount of alcohol with these medications can result in side effects such as flushing, headache, nausea and vomiting, and rapid heart rate.

Keep in mind that some cold medicines and mouthwashes also contain alcohol. So check the label and avoid such products while taking these antibiotics.

Although alcohol doesn't reduce the effectiveness of most antibiotics, it can reduce your energy and delay how quickly you recover from illness. So, it's a good idea to avoid alcohol until you finish your antibiotics and are feeling better.

:080402gudl_prv:

Until you get better I can drink the alcohal for you...

Just be glad it didn't blow up.

I feel for ya Karl. I really do. It was 8 months ago when I damaged the membrane in my elbow. You got off easy. It sucks, and it's painful as all get out.

If you aren't the quesy type.... read this thread. I'm not EVEN going to show you the pics.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66817

It was still about 6 months and I was still having trouble using my arm the was I used to. Takes a long time for that to heal up so don't push it.

Can't blame ya for having a sip or two but I got to agree, probably not a good time if your doing meds.

Take care.

Mike

FYI..

A few antibiotics — such as metronidazole (Flagyl), tinidazole (Tindamax) and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim) — should not be mixed with alcohol because this may result in a more severe reaction.

Drinking any amount of alcohol with these medications can result in side effects such as flushing, headache, nausea and vomiting, and rapid heart rate.

Keep in mind that some cold medicines and mouthwashes also contain alcohol. So check the label and avoid such products while taking these antibiotics.

Although alcohol doesn't reduce the effectiveness of most antibiotics, it can reduce your energy and delay how quickly you recover from illness. So, it's a good idea to avoid alcohol until you finish your antibiotics and are feeling better.

:080402gudl_prv:

Until you get better I can drink the alcohal for you...

I did read the warning and there was no mention of no achohol. I'm just so tired and want to sleep. Thanks for the heads up, I'm done drinking anyway.

KarlS...first, the number one problem is that you are between bikes. Go out and buy a bike, and your body will heal itself, so that you can ride.

Second, Eck is 100 % correct in that you should not be drinking any alcohol. Period.

Third...I have been through two operations on my Right elbow (area, and one on my left elbow (area). All three operations were what is called a Lateral Epicondyl Release. This is similar to the common phrase...tennis elbow...except I don't plat tennis. In all three operations they has to detach my lateral epicondyl ligament from the bone...scrape the bone surface down past the surface to get at the pulp of the bone, and then reattach the ligament to the bone. In the long run, the operations are successful, but I ended up with RSD, Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, which leaves a permanent swelling of the hands and lower arms. Hurts...but most importantly it does NOT preclude me from riding my bikes.

Listen to "your" doctor. Stop drinking the wine. Buy a bike, and get better.

Miles:detective:

Edited by Miles