Hi new to your site and am looking for some information from the experts here. I am going to look at a 1987 Venture Royal on Sunday and hoped that someone would be kind enough to tell me what some of the known issues or problems are related to that model, things to look for etc. Any help is appreciated........

Hummmm:scratchchin: The air suspension only adjusts with the key on the acc position. If it doesn't work come back and the wizards on here will walk you through the fix. The dreaded 2nd gear issue is not a problem on anything after 1986. Check the bottom of the trunk for stress cracking also check the adjustable backrest for the passenger seat where it attachés to the trunk. It "could" be broke there. Again not a big deal to fix if your handy at all. Ask when the last time the "Drive Pins" in the rear end were greased. This should usually be done when replacing the tires. Ask if the carbs have ever had the diaphragms replaced. Put it on the center stand and check to see how tight the steering is. Again its not the end of the world to fix if too sloppy. If your handy with tools and like to tinker you can fix about anything yourself on these bikes. Plus there are alot of knowledgeable people on this site that will help you through it. BUT sometimes it takes awhile to sort through the :rotfl:. One of my friends had a yellow 87 it sure was pretty.:D:wel_ani4Tay:

OK so I didn't but the 87.....I bought an 88 instead. The 87 was in too bad a shape for me. Would have had to put another thousand or so into it. The 88 is nice has all the needed accessories, intercom headsets, owners manual, etc. Some cracks in the plastics that I can repair. The biggest issue is it will run, but wont take any fuel or it will stall. Also some popping from the right side cylinders at an idle......

I hope you did not pass up a perfect running 87 for a 88 that probably needs a valve shim job and a carb rebuild.

It sounds like you need at least new diaphragms for the carbs, that 's $100.00 for 4 pieces of thin rubber. plus a couple of hours to install them. Then you need to sync the carbs and hopefully that will solve the problems. I would also have the valves adjusted if the Previous owner cant remember when he last had them done. You could have exhaust or intake valves not closing all the way which would also cause that same problem.

if you are handy, only a couple hundred in parts and it's good as new IF nothing serious is wrong. did you get a really good deal on it?

The guy with the 87 wanted 900.00 and it needed quite a lot of work, and parts to get it in good running shape. I gave 950.00 for the 88. I am not worried about fixing things as I work at a motorcycle dealer (not Yamaha) so I have all the necessary equipment at my disposal....

I suggest also swapping out the regulator and Stator for upgrades. i used the Regulator from a FJR1300 and a Ricks Motorsports hot Shot. The Regulator on the ventures is a old design that puts a 100% load on the stator at all times. the newer type from the FJR's does not. coupled with a hot shot stator you will eliminate any future charging problems or power problems.

Certainly open up the top and check the valves, I would also pull the pumpkin and lube the spines on the shaft drive, I'll bet that was never done.

You also might be really lucky and a can of seafoam in the tank and let to sit in the carbs will clear everything up. but I'll bet the carb diaphragms need replacement.

These bikes will run on 3 cylinders perfectly. They also run on two surprisingly well. I limped my 83 home running only on 2 when I was 60 miles from home. The ECM will corrode around the diodes and cause a failure.