IGNORED

Does not want me to wear any other patch while on a chapter ride

YamaDuck

I belong to a lot of motorcycle organizations. My jacket and vest have a mixture of all these organizations on them. I view these patches as a billboard showing what organizations I belong to or support.

One of my STAR chapter President's has told me his position on patches is when we are on a chapter ride he does not want anyone to wear any patch other than STAR and chapter patches.

My jacket I wear all the time has a VentureRider patch on the back. He does not think I should wear that where people can see it on a chapter ride. I think this is ridiculous. This reminds me of what we have been fighting as Yamaha riders when other clubs say you have to ride this type of motorcycle if you want to ride with us.

STAR says you can ride anything you like. My President says you can ride any ride you like but when you are on a chapter ride you can not wear any other patch.

Does this make any since to any of you?:confused24:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:scratchchin:I tend to agree with the president of the club....that's why i have three vests..:Laugh:

Just like perfumes...wear the one, the person you are going out with, likes.:confused24:

Or like sports teams...similar uniform so you don't get confused with members of the other team..:scratchchin:

Just my opinion....and i am right 50 percent of the times.:banana:

:7_6_3[1]::Venture::bikersmilie::moped::twing:

I'm not a club member to any other than this lively bunch of nuts but I'd call BS on that. Then again, I'm not a big fan of being told what I can ride or wear.

I had a director at my company tell me I could not have a PGR support patch on my own wind breaker while on store property. He didn't care much for my answer to that comment very much and the patch remains to this day.

I think your guy has his head too close to the tailpipe myself. You're being treated like a prospect.

My :2cents:

Mike

You will also find that you can not be an officer of star groups unless you ride a star product!

Ask your president to find out anything he can about chapter#307 of Illinois

Or call Allan Cease ?

Mike/ past vp and charter founding member of 307 Illinois

:225:

I thought Yamaha riders were above the attitude that you must wear this or you can not ride.

I am not saying if you are a H.O.G. member you show up wearing a STAR Club vest or if you are a STAR club member you show up wearing another clubs vest.

I have one jacket, it has a VentureRider patch on it. VentureRiders is a Forum where we get together and ride and most of us own Ventures. We are not a club per say but a bunch of Yamaha owners that get together occasionally to ride and eat.

He was so opposed to me wearing my jacket with my VentureRider patch on it to a STAR charity event he wanted me to wear one of his jackets which I refused.

My motorcycle club clothing have patches and pins of all the organizations I belong to. I have never had any other club or organization I ride with have a problem with what I wear. I thought STAR was above that and I believe they are it is just the new President of one of our local chapter. The old President did not have a problem with it.:puzzled:

So STAR must has copied some other stiff noised motorcycle clubs by-laws. I told them if they did not like it I would gladly leave the chapter. I have also been to 3 STAR Days with my VentureRider jacket and not one person said anything about it.

It's no different than having a copy of the bible, everyone can read something different and push it to their own ways.

I have life long friends that met through the star club.

And for that, i am thankfull, however untill the director is gone, i will stay gone, that guy is nuts!! And still owes my club $2600.00 and is a thief.

I am not a member of the Star Riders because there is not one near Lexington, Ky. I belong to a masonic Riders Assn and We can wear any patch or pin that is tasteful ion the front of our vests. The back is for the Riders Assn Patches which is a 4 piece patch. We don't tell you what you must ride or wear. The only rule is at least 500cc Street legal motorcycle.

If I was a member of Star Riders and they would not let me wear a masonic Square and Compass Patch or a American Flag on my vest I would wear it anyway and tell them to try to remove it.

Jim bell

Edited by guns_usn_20
because I can't spell

Either just get another jacket and don't put any patches on it to use to ride when riding a chapter ride or...

Ride naked! :Bunny:

Seriously, if you got a jacket and didn't put a single patch on it, would they make you put a STAR patch on it?

To me, STAR, at least that chapter, is getting that "attitude" that makes me stay away from a certain brand of motorcycle. Screw the attitude, ride and dress like you want to. Why do people get so freaking caught up in this stuff!!!!

Another thing that makes THIS family the best!!

Totally bogus, and I have been invited to ride with those Harley guys, the leathernecks ( and I am ARMY proud ) , a local Honda group. . . and I agree your patches are a roadmap of who you are. It's about camaraderie and sharing a common interest, as long as the group rides for a good purpose and they are not a bunch of idiots, I'll ride with them. If they are evil or don't want I will ride on on my own . . .

STAR doesn't want you wearing the patches of another bike association on a "STAR vest". There is no requirement for you to have or wear a "STAR vest".

There is also no STAR Touring restriction on wearing other vests or patches on rides. It's possible there is something in the chapter bylaws, but unlikely. Check the bylaws to be sure.

I'd take the position that a jacket with a VR patch on the back is not a STAR vest. Unless there is something in the bylaws restricting riding apparel your president is trying to enforce his preference, not a rule. Tell him to let it go, if he doesn't go over his head.

Remember that STAR is the Yamaha sponsored riding association. There used to be a requirement that chapter presidents own a Yamaha motorcycle, but now that can be waived. There is no requirement for the other chapter officers to own any specific motorcycle.

At the next chapter meeting Make a motion that members be allowed to wear other clubs patches while on club sanctioned rides. If you get another member to second the motion, it can come to a vote. If you have seeded the meeting with members who support your position and the vote goes your way the president has little he can do about it.

Is it worth it to cause friction within the group to wear the other patches?

Who will get to decide which patches are acceptable and which are offensive?

not saying you are right just saying how to get it allowed, or if the vote goes against you prohibited

Al

STAR patch placement guidelines state

"No other club patches may be worn on the chapter vest without prior approval from the International Chapter Coordinator."

I have a PGR patch on my vest, no issues.

Meet with Alan Cease frequently - he supports PGR activities.

Had a Chapter member with a "support your local Hells Angels" patch on his vest, we did ask for that to be removed.

I see *NO* issues with a VR patch.

Cmon down to our Chapter #347- you'll be most welcomed..

BRAND requirements -- the only requirement - is:

"...chapter president must own a Yamaha street product..."

Can be a sport bike, cruiser, street licensed quad or sidebyside, whatever...and

President can ride whatever they like - just gotta own a Yamaha...

STAR patch placement guidelines state

"No other club patches may be worn on the chapter vest without prior approval from the International Chapter Coordinator."

Does that make us a club? I thought this was a Forum. Not that it matters but that's why I don't join clubs, not very good with rules.

I suppose a lot has to do with how anal retentive the person in charge is. One of the clubs I belong to around here is the Gold Wing Road Riders Association. I don't have a Goldwing, Valkyrie or even a Honda product, so I'm an "Associate" member. There's never been a problem with me wearing other club patches or other regalia. In fact, at a "bike night" at a nearby A&W with the chapter, someone asked me what the letters GWRRA on my patch stood for as I waited in line behind the chapter president for a root beer. I told him then I tipped the Yamaha cap I was wearing and said "Brought to you by Yamaha". The pres. had himself a good laugh along with other members and that was that. No one was offended and no one has asked me to stop wearing the hat to to get rid of any patches. The chapters aim is to promote the club, safe riding and fun on a motorcycle whether or not you ride their brand. It was, in part, because of this attitude of the members that I joined the club. We have a lot of fun, do some nice charitable work and get to show off our bikes at these "bike nights".

To me, that's the best way to run a club. Make people feel welcome and want to join. As it is, several members of another club I belong to also joined the GWRRA chapter for the same reasons and one of them even bought a Goldwing after being around them for a while.

I agree one has to obey club rules and go along with the leadership's requirements, but being silly about enforcement is a good way to shrink a club's membership down to nothing.

Whew. That was a lot of talking! I'll just shut up now.

Andy

Totally bogus, .... as long as the group rides for a good purpose and they are not a bunch of idiots, I'll ride with them. If they are evil or don't want I will ride on on my own . . .

I agree with this statement by "dacheedah"... I will ride where I can and with whom I can... but I won't ride with someone that has that much ego to tell me I have to wear something in particular if that is not a part of a well understood club requirement. Of course, I don't have a "club" patch on my "kit" anywhere... but I do wear patches that have meaning to me and convey what message I wish to convey. The only "colors" I wear on my jacket or vest promote riding, patriotism, THE USA... and JESUS CHRIST. If that offends someone, then they sure don't want me riding with them at all! Fortunately I ride with a patriotic bunch of "Free Riders"... but I probably wouldn't wear one club's patch on another club's event just out of respect. Not allowing a VENTURERIDERS.ORG patch??? Well that's just STUPID in most cases. And we all now what F. Gump says about that! I guess you need to find out the "heart" of a group when or before you join it. Most people want to "hang" with "like minded" people...

I had intended to seek out a "STAR" group... but now am not so sure! :(