IGNORED

Carb swap compatibility

Thinking hard about buying Dmnordin's rebuilt carb set, which is from an 86 1300. Anyone know if it is the same setup as on the 85 1200 I have? I think it is, but hate to drop the $$$ and have a nice set of carbs I can't use.

Thx to any and all that answer. I do appreciate you guys/gals.

Kevin

Thinking hard about buying Dmnordin's rebuilt carb set, which is from an 86 1300. Anyone know if it is the same setup as on the 85 1200 I have? I think it is, but hate to drop the $$$ and have a nice set of carbs I can't use.

Thx to any and all that answer. I do appreciate you guys/gals.

Kevin

They are different.

That said, they are carbs that will fit and there is no reason why they couldn't be jetted to work well with the earlier model.

The 1300 carbs have to deliver more fuel ... and more air to go with it so that the mixture is correct. I think the differences are quite small, but there are others here who will correct this.

The VMax's always used the same carbs that are on an MKII with different jetting. Vmax's never had a block other than a 1200cc.

You will see a minimal difference in the mains and one air jet. Venturi's went from 34mm to 35mm. Mains went from 117.5 to 125's in 1986. For comparison VMax's had up to 152.5 mains at one point.

The carbs should be fine on a 1200.

Gary

You should have good success with the carbs. In 2008 I was heading to Boise, ID for a rally and my carbs started leaking. I still had the original carbs that were on that engine, I swapped the carb set out and it all worked great. It wasn't until I got back that I realized that the second carb set was the smaller diameter used on the 1200s.

Good Luck!

Dave