IGNORED

I'm wired and lit up and registered to be that way

Snaggletooth

I started that thread a while back on "The things you find" and it just kept going the farther I got into the New/Used HF Tag-Along I bought a while back.

The PO had to be one creative bugger to get the kit as far as he did. But then he did get rid of it before going anywhere and I got a pretty good idea of why he did now.

The wiring..... geesh! I think he used a drill and razor wire to fish the harness through the frame. I couldn't go 2 feet of wire without finding a chewed up or broken wire patched with ScotchLocks with the bare ends hanging out inside the frame. In the end I had to replace the entire trailer harness and considering the mods to the taillight housings he did, I broke down and bought the HF LED kit and installed it. At least the LEO's won't be shaking my tree for a license plate light being out. That sucker lights up with the LED's.

But after installing the new harness, shielded with harness wrap, and soldering and shrink wrapping every connection from the 5/4 converter all the way to the tail lights I'm sure it will serve me well for quite a while. Still need to tuck in some rubber grommets where the harness goes through the frame but that's a quick fix.

Got the 5/4 wire converter tucked in by the frame under the seat. Piece of cake hooking that up.

I hooked the side markers and rear tails to the marker lights on my switch panel. That way I can kick the lights on all the way around without the key in the bike.

Had one moment there where I was ready to panic because the four ways weren't working until I remembered I hadn't hooked up the brake light wire yet. Whew!

I don't like loose wires on my bike so I added a plug holder on the rear light bar for easy access. Nice clean connection.

I got the rubber hose installed on the rear spring bolts.

New zerks are in.

Coupler has been bent back to the original shape and washers installed. One handed hookup now.

Siliconed in the frame plugs, or at least three of them. Missing one so that search is on.

Cleaned off the Vaseline that HF uses off the wheel bearings and packed them with High Temp and set the bearings.

Got my Nebraska trailer plate mounted. Note the size of that thing. I never noticed the bike plates here before but that sucker is gonna cause some serious drag. Suppose I should mount another plate on the other side so it don't lean. :crackup:

Going to make some mini mudflaps for the trailer tires. Need somewhere to mount some of those lil chrome nekked ladies. Well, looking at that pic maybe I won't need mudflaps with that big ol plate hanging there.

My friend (The Piper) that pinstriped my helmet last year stopped by and was eyeballing the trailer. I know what he's thinking......He was grinning.

So I miss anything?

I'm going to have to go out and drag it around now and check out. Looks like it's gonna rain. Guess I'll find out how water proof it is.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Very professional looking there Mike! One thing about the licence plate, you are going to find out it is very easy to bend where it is. If you haven't already done so, replace that plastic holder with a metal one before it breaks and you lose your plate. Don't ask how I know about that, but thanks to Mother I got it back! You may want to consider relocating it to the center of the trailer mounted directly to the bottom half of the clam shell. You can buy a LED licence plate light from Auto Zone that mounts directly on the licence bolts...

If you haven't already done so, replace that plastic holder with a metal one before it breaks and you lose your plate. Don't ask how I know about that, but thanks to Mother I got it back! You may want to consider relocating it to the center of the trailer mounted directly to the bottom half of the clam shell. You can buy a LED licence plate light from Auto Zone that mounts directly on the licence bolts...

The PO had a metal plate hanger already mounted. I don't know if that was the OEM one from HF or not but it looks a lot tougher than the plastic one that came with the HF LED kit. That one is in the trash already.

Will be looking into your idea for sure. Thanks.

Mike

In the pic of the coupler hooked up to the hitch ball----

It looks like there are no spacers (washers) installed between the tongue and the coupler. The tongue is a little narrower than the coupler, resulting in the coupler being somewhat distorted when the attaching bolts and nuts are tightened. Most of us have installed a washer or two on each side of each bolt (between the tongue and coupler) to avoid bending the coupler. I think someone reported having trouble with the latching mechanism balking at being engaged because of the distortion.

In the pic of the coupler hooked up to the hitch ball----

It looks like there are no spacers (washers) installed between the tongue and the coupler. The tongue is a little narrower than the coupler, resulting in the coupler being somewhat distorted when the attaching bolts and nuts are tightened. Most of us have installed a washer or two on each side of each bolt (between the tongue and coupler) to avoid bending the coupler. I think someone reported having trouble with the latching mechanism balking at being engaged because of the distortion.

Yep, they're in there. In that pic the bike is laying on the side stand so it look a lil off.

The day I went to pick up the trailer I couldn't get the coupler to drop over the ball. Period! I had to remove the coupler and spread it a bit to get it hooked up. The PO didn't install any washers so it was crimped in pretty good. The latch will become pinched when the coupler is tightened down without the washers. Won't move at all without a pry bar. Drops like it should now.

I got it home and checked the coupler and latch and it was fine. Installed a washer on each side and it works like a charm now. One handed hook up now.

The PO created a lot of problems for himself putting the kit together. I can see why he never pulled it and traded it off. If I wasn't familiar with some of the issuse brought up by HF owners here I probably would have passed on this one myself. Glad I didn't.

Mike

I mounted my plate, using the bottom bolts holes, to the center of the frame. It sits above the frame instead of below it. I used LED license plate bolts to illuminate it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Chrome-Stainless-Steel-White-LED-License-Plate-Frame-Bolts-Lighted-Fastener-/290780536396?hash=item43b3dede4c&item=290780536396&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Lookin good.

Now you just need to add a high mounted center brake light.

I like this one from Super Bright LEDs.

I spotted this converter on ebay to make a center brake light work correctly on a 4 wire trailer. It looks like it uses a similar schematic to one that I posted a while back. This one is only rated for 2.5A, so it is for LED only. If I were building it I would use components with a higher amp rating, you are only talking pennies more.

Fortunately for me I live in a state that does not register or plate trailers under 3,000 GVW.

But the flip side is I always worry about trying to splain that to a LEO while traveling.

Edited by Flyinfool