IGNORED

Rental Car

etcswjoe

Going to visit my Grandkids in Illinois for Thanksgiving and I am considering renting a luxury Car or Minivan to make the 12 hour each way trip a little more comfortable (would ride but my daughter and her boyfriend are going too).

I have never rented a car for pleasure so I have never had to deal with all the diffrent add ons. I have heard that my insurance will cover some damage and that credit cards will cover some items but I am not sure guess I should give them a call.

The other thing is which rental companies do not charge per mile if you leave the area. Enterprise charges $.25 a mile if you are going further than the adjoining states.

Any advice/tips are appriciated.

Edited by etcswjoe

I have had problems with Enterprise in the past.

Be sure you inspect the car before you take it !!!! Any scratchs or dents

on it, Don't take that car. Enterprise likes to nick you for small damage

repairs.

I always go with National since problems with other companies.

The biggest scam is the insurance!! Yes, your own auto insurance should cover things but check with them first to make sure. The car rental companies will insist you need it but it is how they make money!! Also yes, most insurance cards will offer additional coverage depending on what level card you have such as world class, etc.

Myself I usually go with the biggies, Hertz, Avis etc. Budget isn't bad but trust me they are not eally any cheaper of better than the major ones. Same for Dollar...

Ah heck Joe,

With all your money you should just go out and buy a brand new full size car.

Here's a start............

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/05/2013-cadillac-xts-priced-from-44-995/

I would but it is not on sale till this spring.

Talked with my insurance company and I am good there, looks like Hertz has the best deal so far $307 after taxes and fees for the week.

Going to visit my Grandkids in Illinois for Thanksgiving and I am considering renting a luxury Car or Minivan to make the 12 hour each way trip a little more comfortable (would ride but my daughter and boyfriend are going too).

I have never rented a car for pleasure so I have never had to deal with all the diffrent add ons. I have heard that my insurance will cover some damage and that credit cards will cover some items but I am not sure guess I should give them a call.

The other thing is which rental companies do not charge per mile if you leave the area. Enterprise charges $.25 a mile if you are going further than the adjoining states.

Any advice/tips are appriciated.

Perhaps you could leave your boyfriend home just once, then you and your daughter could ride.:Venture::sign just kidding:

When (time frame) you make your resv makes a big difference. Way ahead and its high. The couple of days just before and its high. I check every few days starting a month before and have seen a 300 dollar resv drop to 110. Its all in the timing. But I always get mine at airports. Just and FYI. Most times you can go in an modify a resv to get a better price also.

We will be hiring a car for the first part of our trip next year [landing in NY] and we were told that it costs more to get car at airport???? Is this correct?

You haver to pay a facility fee and an airpot concession fee here, almost 50 bucks cheaper to rent from the same company at their downtown office

2nd that......hopefully he's not a jobless hobo like we have here and expecting Dad to rent the car, buy the fuel and feed him.

He is a good kid, going to school on a scholarship right now taking IT courses. I usally do feed him when we go out but he always pays when its just him and my daughter.