IGNORED

think i insulted a seller

oldgoat

I agree that old goat should get a rider and not a fixer, and i'm sure that we will find something when he's ready to pull the trigger.

On the flip side, that voyager trike kit is where the money is at in that purchase.... Just look around and you will see that he's not asking too much for the the pair.

Let me know when your ready james, and we will find you a rider.

Mike

Until I saw the pics and condition of the bike I found myself in an unusual place on this board. Pretty much in total disagreement with everyone. Why should he go down in price? Again, before I saw that it was a pile.

You couldn't get my 86 for $3000 without the training wheel kit.

:soapbox:

And me being me when I have something up for sale I set a fair price so why should I go down in price? In the spirit of the haggle I may "toss in a little something" or (and) drop a token amount if you bargain your way there. I'm also the guy that has left an insulting offer standing in my driveway. Went back into the house with him standing there. Like when the guy offered me $500 for my 80 GS 1100. For crying out loud, I had spent $200 having the seat recovered, and for the work done that was a steal. 36 MM flat slides, all new tires, brakes, chain and sprockets, yada yada yada. Turn key and go. Wanted $1200. Would have taken $1150 and tossed in a Givi tail trunk with quick release.

I don't mind that I still have it. Next year I will start taking it to local car and bike shows. My 33 year old daily rider.

How many of you are going to drop below what you actually want when you sell?

Have to look for a getting off the soap box icon.:whistling:

Heh ... I can think of many reasons to fall foul of the conventional wisdom on this board ... but this isn't really one of them.

You do make good points though. None of us likes insulting offers, or folk wasting our time yet I look at Craigslist and see wholly unrealistic prices set. Folk are very proud of their motorcycles, so proud they can't sell them. Ebay is even worse sometimes ... especially for parts and it's always the part I want :)

It's a pain when you set a fair price and someone offers you an insulting amount, yet most folk don't really have much of an idea what their bike is worth .... Only what they paid, and how long ago.

I paid $1400 for mine. Realistically and knowing what I know now, it was a parts bike worth maybe $800. The seller had wanted $2000. I don't regret buying it, but I did do the guy a big favour.

In this instance offering $2600 against an asking price of $3000 isn't really a low-ball offer. It's a starting point and if both play by the rules the buyer gets a small discount and the seller nearly gets his asking price.

That's how it is supposed to work :)

I recently sold my 89 ( no tryke kit ) for $2800.00. No questions asked.

Everything on it was working!! Ready to ride. !!! (All service work, up to date )

If this unit you are looking at needs. considerable amount of " Obvious " work, you

can be assured it needs a lot more work that is NOT Obvious !!!

If its been sitting a long time, your looking at a weeks work, new tires, new battery,

fluid changes ( all of them ) and most likley it needs new Front Fork Springs.

Frankly, I would say, find something that is " On the Road " running, and is up to

date on maintenance. ( And, at least has a new set of tires, and battery )

I-- would not go over $1800 on that thing, and --- well you get my point

It is nice to know the value of something. But the only thing that really matters is how much someone is willing to pay. A rock from Mercury (a gaseous planet) might be worth millions but only if you can find someone who will buy it.

Mike