IGNORED

think i insulted a seller

oldgoat

i was checking out motorcycles on craigs list came accross a 1986 yamaha venture with a voyager kit. painted to match the bike. asking price 3 grand. has starter problems? bike will start but the starter hesitates? missing the yamaha piece that goes around the windshield? not a big problem. so i was thinking bike might need a starter clutch? so i shot him an offer of $2600. he sent me an email saying i must be nuts. the kit alone sells for $2500 or more alone? and at the price of $3000 he would be giving the bike away as it is. but needs to sell. sure hope it was noone here. if it is im sorry if i insulted you with my offer.

i was checking out motorcycles on craigs list came accross a 1986 yamaha venture with a voyager kit. painted to match the bike. asking price 3 grand. has starter problems? bike will start but the starter hesitates? missing the yamaha piece that goes around the windshield? not a big problem. so i was thinking bike might need a starter clutch? so i shot him an offer of $2600. he sent me an email saying i must be nuts. the kit alone sells for $2500 or more alone? and at the price of $3000 he would be giving the bike away as it is. but needs to sell. sure hope it was noone here. if it is im sorry if i insulted you with my offer.

He was pissed at that offer?

Why did he not simply compromise at $2800, or tell you the price was firm but he'd take $2950?

Guest scarylarry

He will get over it is all.....You set a price and you better expect some haggling over it unless they are fool...

Your offer was not insulting by the least and most or I would have offer 2500 and work my way up...

Remember you can go up just not down when making offers

People are funny sometimes.

We've all likely been offered less than we think something is worth at one time or another. There's no need to be offended by it,....just politely reject the offer, and move on with life.

I'm kinda going through this right now selling this ol' GMC Motorhome.

Sometimes the buyer gets kinda pushy with a lowball offer, explaining why I should take it, which I give due consideration, but if a seller is confident that they can get significantly more, they should politely stick to their guns, and if a buyer thinks that it's worth significantly less, then they should do the same.

The concept is really pretty simple.:cool10:

Personally, I think 3k for a bike that old is too much money. But that's me. As for the Voyager kit, you could not give me one of those things. They just make a bike look stupid. That's why they are so cheap to begin with. But the guy should have taken the offer. Some poeple want new prices for stuff that's outdated. He's just out of touch with reality. You did nothing wrong.

Thats one of the advantages of a site like this . It gives you a clear perspective of the cost of bikes at their respective ages. Mileage, accesories and such help us to determine in a practical manner the price of our bikes. Too many times people with a connection to other owners have an unrealistic idea of the value of their bikes...... that is until it sits on E-Bay or craigslist for weeks on end without so much as a nibble.

I get upset when someone that I do not know takes my first offer without at least making an effort to talk it down.

When selling to friends I start out with my best price, which is usually pretty good. When listing something I leave haggle room.

When Buying, I am hoping that friends are giving me their best price up front and I make little effort to negotiate. I never offer the asking price for something that I am buying from strangers.

I like to think that everyone on a site like this can be considered a friend. I have bought things from members here and never made any real effort to talk the price down.

Maybe I'm just to nice for my own good.......:whistling:

I wouldn't think of offering the asking price of anything I bought used or afor a new vehicle either Boat car Bike etc. My father would roll over in his grave and then come back to haunt me. he never paid list and everything was some kind of a three way deal with something else thrown in.

It isn't like you offered him dimes on a dollar, you made a reasonable offer which he was free to decline or accept.

he sent me an email saying i must be nuts. the kit alone sells for $2500 or more alone? and at the price of $3000 he would be giving the bike away as it is. but needs to sell.

Email him back and tell him SOLD! you'll be happy to give $500 for just the bike and he can keep the Voyager Kit.

An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

That sure looks to be pretty much on the rough side.

Looks like it has been stored outside and uncovered.

Paint is shot.

There are parts missing.

That's just what can be seen from the 4 pics.

Not sure what "ignition was replaced because the ignition bolts where broke off in the frame." means.

Also check your states codes. there have been threads about the voyager kit not being a legal motorcycle in all states, because it has 4 wheels.

I think your original offer was fair. Wait till near the end of the month and make the same offer again. Even better is to go look at it, point out every flaw, then make the cash offer.

I have had many sellers try to hit me with the reasoning that their price is what it will be worth once I fix it up.

im with you on this playboy. the vstar is sounding much better.

would rather have something i can turn the key hit the switch and go.

just though prices would go down with winter comming on? cheapest vstar i found in the 1000cc size was $3600. i have time to wait. mike eusa1 might be my chance to locate one for me when im realy ready. he,s not that far from me. just though i gave this guy a good offer for a bike with a kit on it for some one with bad knees but i got the left knee fixed and with more time should be good to go come next spring. that,s why i love this site. with the info i gained here. i though i gave him a better offer then any one else would on this site.

Until I saw the pics and condition of the bike I found myself in an unusual place on this board. Pretty much in total disagreement with everyone. Why should he go down in price? Again, before I saw that it was a pile.

You couldn't get my 86 for $3000 without the training wheel kit.

:soapbox:

And me being me when I have something up for sale I set a fair price so why should I go down in price? In the spirit of the haggle I may "toss in a little something" or (and) drop a token amount if you bargain your way there. I'm also the guy that has left an insulting offer standing in my driveway. Went back into the house with him standing there. Like when the guy offered me $500 for my 80 GS 1100. For crying out loud, I had spent $200 having the seat recovered, and for the work done that was a steal. 36 MM flat slides, all new tires, brakes, chain and sprockets, yada yada yada. Turn key and go. Wanted $1200. Would have taken $1150 and tossed in a Givi tail trunk with quick release.

I don't mind that I still have it. Next year I will start taking it to local car and bike shows. My 33 year old daily rider.

How many of you are going to drop below what you actually want when you sell?

Have to look for a getting off the soap box icon.:whistling:

Whe I sell something I price competitive with other items of the same condition. I am willing to work on the price to a certain extent. Last big ticket item was a car. I was asking $3250. A guy shows up and offers me $1500. I looked at him and told him he was an idiot, locked up the car and went into the house. Two weeks later he called, made a reasonable offer that I would have took originally and told him no. Somebody else is looking at it for more (nobody was), he ended up giving me $3100 for the car.