IGNORED

08 RSTD Heated Grips ??

GeorgeS

I need to install Heated Grips on my 08 RSTD ..

Am looking for suggestions as to what aftermarket parts are reccomended by

anybody here. What have you used? do they work ? are you satisfied with

whatever types you have installed.

Open to comments :detective::detective:

I need to install Heated Grips on my 08 RSTD ..

Am looking for suggestions as to what aftermarket parts are reccomended by

anybody here. What have you used? do they work ? are you satisfied with

whatever types you have installed.

Open to comments :detective::detective:

I fitted Oxford Heaterz (Hot Grips) to my 1st Gen. I have previously fitted them to other bikes and would recommend them to anyone.

Heat Demons are highly recommended. They install internally inside the actual handlebars. This keeps them protected from the weather and helps to increase the longevity. They have a very nice Led display that come with them. They retail for $150.

I might add that all of the heated grips that i have used have left something to be desired. They have no way of warming the back sides of our hands where they are prone to get the coldest due to the wind hitting them. My personal prefference for cold weather hand comfort is one of two options. 1st preference is the heated gloves that I have. They are Gerbing brand and have heat elements all the way to the fingertips and around the backside of the hand as well. They dont get as warm as heated grips do but they do abetter job of warming the whole hand as opposed to just the palm. My 2nd preference is heated grips with handlbar muffs. Handlbar muffs with heated grips work great at blocking/deflecting the wind and keeping your entire hand warm. There are a few drawbacks to this. Handlebar muffs can be a pain getting hands into and they can also block your mirrors. The second drawback is that the source of heat is still the handlebar grips; thus making the palms of ours hands warmer than the rest of your hand. This doesnt seem like a big deal unless your heated grips are not warm enough at the liw setting and to hot at the high setting. I had a Buell with heated grips that had this problem. Low was not warm enough but high was HOT!

Edited by 09RSTD

Heat Demons are highly recommended. They install internally inside the actual handlebars. This keeps them protected fromthe weather and helps to increase the longevity. They have a very nice Led display that come with them. They retail for $150.

There are some potential problems here.

We have balance weights inside the handlebars which would have to be removed or reduced in size. The version that goes under the grips has few advantages over cheaper alternates.

They are horribly expensive for a couple of tube heaters and a controller, but on the plus side they look good and I like that controller. You get to keep your own grips and some would prefer that.

I don't know how well the throttle side heater would work given that the grip is insulated from the bars by the throttle tube. The Oxfords have been around for ever. They have three heat settings. The lowest is pleasantly warm and the highest would burn your hand except when it is very cold.

The Oxfords restrict you to the Oxford grip, but I got mine for $60, the grip was fine on my VFR, and it's fine on the VR.

So you have choices :)