IGNORED

Old, bad coil from 2nd gen

GeorgeS

Going to try this again.

Anybody have an old , bad, removed, ignition coil from a 2nd gen laying around ??

If you replaced a coil, could you pull the plug wire out of the " old " ignition coil, and take a photo, or let me know, if the plug wire can be " Re-Installed " after you pull out the old one ??

ie: is there a pointed SCREW inside the hole the same as on the 1st Gen Ignition coils ???

I'm trying to figure out if I can replace the plug wire on these coils, but do not want to destroy a good one in the process. :detective:

Any help here, appreciated, thanks.

Edited by GeorgeS

Anybody have a Bad, Removed, throwaway, 2nd Gen Ignition coil laying around.

Need to pull out the plug wire, and get a look at whats down inside the hole after the

wire is pulled out. ( or whatever it takes to get it out )

Thanks

George,

I am almost positive that the G2 coil is a molded unit, 1 piece. I dont think there is any way you can screw a plug wire cap onto the body. I have coils on this '99 I have in pieces, but I dont know that any of them are bad. I can send you some pics of them if that would help you at all?

Well I was looking closely at the coils on my new 08. The wire is standard solid core copper.

Looking closely where the Wire Enters the Hole on the Coil assembly, there appears to be Clear Sealastic Sealant.

SO, I'm wondering, IF, they simply Screwed the wire into the hole with and Applied SEALANT, to hold it in place.

IF so, then I should be able to replace the wire with a different type of plug wire. ( ie: shielded wire, I'm working on reduceing Ignition noise in my radios. )

So, if I could get a ---- " known " --- " BAD "----- Coil, and just Yank out the wire, and see if there is a Pointed, Threaded , Screw, in there, just like on the old 1st Gen coils.

IF So, then I can replace the wires,

If this makes sence. But would cost me $50 bucks to tear apart a good coil to find out, so looking for a bad one someplace, I figure sombody might have one laying around, that has been replaced,

anyway, thanks, will keep looking,

hi george

i found a old coil ( for a 2'nd gen ) from a set i bought from pinwall cycles about 5 years ago. i had bought them as spares. so tommorow i'll take it apart and find out how the wire is fixed to the coil. will let you know, should have a answer for you by noon c.s.t.

reguards

don c.

hi george

well got bad news for ya. the 2'nd gen coil wires are part of the coil. can not be removed like the 1'st gens. (the wire is part of the coil and the whole assambly is slid in the case & then sealed.) look at the bottom of the coil you will see that it's sealed with an epoxie type sealeant to make it water proof. hope this answers your question.

reguards

don c.

hi george

well got bad news for ya. the 2'nd gen coil wires are part of the coil. can not be removed like the 1'st gens. (the wire is part of the coil and the whole assambly is slid in the case & then sealed.) look at the bottom of the coil you will see that it's sealed with an epoxie type sealeant to make it water proof. hope this answers your question.

reguards

don c.

Thanks much !!! , Well it was an idea while it lasted.

OK, so I guess the next obvious, approach would be to use 1st Gen Coils !! I still have 3 extra's laying around , would only have to get one more.

So next obvious question would be, are the 1st gen coils, compatiable, with the TCI units on the 2nd gen bikes ??? Hmmmmm

I guess will start researching the Input Impedance of the Primary Winding's of the Two coils, ( 1st gen, verse's the 2ndgen coils )

Try to determine if the old coils can saftly be used on the 2nd gen bikes.

1st Gen coil... 3 Ohm primary, 13K Ohm secondary.

will pull the seat, tank, and whatever, soon, and get to the primary wireing and see what the readings are.

Raining here today ( the 85 day drought in Seattle is over )

At this point, my problem is, Only one Cylinder is causeing Popping Ignition noise in the AM radio. But, its pretty bad.