IGNORED

Laptop/internet question.

Venturous Randy

Linda has lost the ability to get on the internet with her laptop. It was working fine using her wireless and she moved from one room to another and now it will not work. Her wireless still works fine for mine and it even shows a connection on hers, but it will not come up. Even setting beside the wireless router, it will not do anything. I have even reset it to work in the wired configuration, but it still will not come up.

I have gone into the internet connection and set the homepage on yahoo and other pages and it still will not do anything. Any suggestions?:confused24:

RandyA

Try this:

Check for a "physical switch" on the side of the laptop. Sometimes that gets turned off by mistake.

If that is in the correct position then:

1. START

2. RUN

- or press Windows Key + R

3. Type ncpa.cpl

4. See if Wireless Connection is listed, if it is, make sure it is not disabled.

If it is disabled, then you can enable it by right-clicking on it and selecting "enable".

Next check to see if Windows wireless service running, if not turn it on:

1. START

2. RUN

- or press Windows Key + R

3. Type services.msc

4. Scroll down and check to make sure Wireless Service is not stopped and/or disabled.

I am not sure how this service would be listed as in XP it is called "Wireless Zero Configuration" and in Windows 7, it is referred to as "WLan AutoConfig"

Also, below is a link to a troubleshooting guide you can access from a different computer.

http://www.ifitjams.com/connect.htm

my sons laptop is doing the same thing wont bring up the internet on wireless or by ethiernet cable no swtch for wireless its a Toshiba :confused24:

Her's is a Toshiba also.

When you use the troubleshoot option, it shows that there is a connection all the way to the computer. I will try all this when I can.

RandyA

Our Toshiba is bad about that. It is the "physical" switch and actual DIP switch on the side of the laptop. You pick the machine up, dont realize it and move the switch to the off or whatever postition. DIP switch, not to be confused with DIP $hit. Both can cause a simular problem. :rotf::080402gudl_prv:

Is there a key in the keyboard in the top row that looks like a tower giving out signals? Try clicking on it..:confused24:

I tried that and it did not do anything. On my Compaq laptop, that button is always lit up white or orange and white is wireless. Her's does not have a light that I have seen. I will check on the "dip" switch when I can.

RandyA

quick question.....have you tried to see if anything else can get out thru your router? Maybe the router needs a reboot or a config refresh.

Brian

Yes, as I noted, her wireless works fine on my computer. Also, I did the unplug, wait for 20 seconds thing on the router and rebooted her computer and no change. I hope it is the switch. I will check it when I get to go see her.

RandyA

If it shows that it is connected then the switch is not turned off. Sometimes Microsoft will put out a new driver for different pieces of hardware and sometimes they do not work as planned. If she recently got updates this COULD be the problem. You can "roll back" the driver if there is a new one. To do this you would go to "device manager" and then "devices" and find the wireless adapter in the list of hardware. Right click on it and go to "properties". Look for the button that says "roll back driver" or some such.. I'm doing this from memory so you may have to look around a little.. I've run across this a number of times..

You might want to try a restore on the computer. Go to the control panel and coose the restore option.There should be some dates listed that you can restore the system to. Then choose a date that has a restore point before you started having trouble. This will reset the computer to the settings before the trouble started.

Hello: If your laptop works fine, then that rules out the router. You mentioned the laptop will not work on the internet even if it is "hardwired" to the router? Is that correct?

Yes, this is correct. Even if I use the ethernet cable, it will not go on the internet. I have not been able to get back to check it out as she has been working.

RandyA

It appears that the issues with accessing the internet are limited to the one laptop. I would suspect the NIC or motherboard or browser is having issues.

Your tests so far seem to be using a browser.

A couple of test without the browser:

go START > RUN> CMD

This will bring up a DOS window.

type "ipconfig"

This will bring up the ip information for the laptop. Using the functioning computer, do the same. Compare the two sets of numbers....all should be the same except the last number of the IP Address (192.168.0.???)

the IP address on the laptop needs to be consistent with the network or it cannot reach outside the router.

Next:

type "ping www.google.com"

you should receive 4 responses... or 4 failures.

This is a simple test to see if you are reaching outside your home.

Hope this helps!

Dave

OK, I have tried everything noted here and still no go. On the last entry that wes made, I did go into the proxy and turned it off and the only difference was it went from about two seconds in telling me that "Internet Explorer cannot display this page" to about ten seconds in telling me.

It is also telling me that I am already connected to the internet and I am using the Google default.

I also took her computer to my house and it is doing the same thing. I am now back at her house and my laptop is working fine on her internet.

I do appreciate all the suggestions and it is so frustrating in me being so computer challenged.

RandyA

OK, I have tried everything noted here and still no go. On the last entry that wes made, I did go into the proxy and turned it off and the only difference was it went from about two seconds in telling me that "Internet Explorer cannot display this page" to about ten seconds in telling me.

It is also telling me that I am already connected to the internet and I am using the Google default.

I also took her computer to my house and it is doing the same thing. I am now back at her house and my laptop is working fine on her internet.

I do appreciate all the suggestions and it is so frustrating in me being so computer challenged.

RandyA

Ok I got my sons laptop working venturous I had to restore back past the last critical update a friend of mine who use to work for microsoft called a friend of hers who still works there they looked everything over and the last critical update messed up the wireless and ethernet she said try that and you should do it

It sounds to me like your Internet Explorer browser is corrupted. Use another computer and download a free Firefox or Google Chrome browser on a thumb drive. Install it on your computer and use it to access the internet.

I had to do this in Brasil a couple of years ago when my IE got screwed and restore would not fix it. Good luck.

Another thing I want to add is I cannot get into the restore mode. Setting both mine and her computer side by side and trying to go into the recovery/restore mode, mine will bring up earlier dates and past restore points. When I try to do the same thing on her's it will not do anything when I click on it, no matter how much time I give it.

I even tried this when bringing up the computer in safe mode.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Catalyst control centre is a unified driver for video etc on your laptop.

I am suspecting that your network drivers are corrupt.

i would remove them in the Device manager, Network devices. Remove everything in the network devices area by right clicking on and uninstalling it, then reboot your machine. it should detect your networking devices an reinstall a fresh copy of your network drivers.

Before you remove any devices please ensure theat you check your settings and if youre not set to DHCP make note of what your settings are so you can reset it up properly. But I would try a dhcp setup after the reinstall before inserting your old numbers.

Brian