IGNORED

got a weird noise coming

i have a noise coming from the back end maybe from the final drive sounds like im dragging something metal on the ground at first i thought it was my mud flap dragging from riding 2 up but that is to high off the ground it does not make the noise when leaning right for right curbs only does this when leaning left or hitting bumps in the road on the center stand in neutral spinning the wheel there is one spot i feel where the wheel rubs something on my 84 any ideas what it could be before i start tearing things apart to repair i would like to make sure i have all the parts i need so i can do this in one day early morning tear apart late morning early after noon fix late after noon put together and ride im using my 84 as a daily rider until the 99 RSTD is running. :confused24:

Have you ever had the rear wheel off and inspected the hub fingers? Is the pig oil level good? couple of things it could be, but removal of the wheel will shed some light on it a bit better....get it over here to MD and we'll figure it out

:thumbsup2:

ok i rode to work this morning and no noises that is good for now so i know i cant ride 2 up until i get this fixed as for having the wheel off nope never not in the 3 months iv owned it been to busy riding i have over 20 years of riding to make up for :confused24: just done the basics changed fluids and replaced front tire i have new plugs for it just have not changed them yet today i will be taking the cage home along with trailer to load up the 99 RSTD and will be dropping it off at Tazmocycles house to have the carbs worked on while im in Atlanta. i did get to ride the 84 on the first day of the sweet 16 crusin the coast so that was fun now to shut it down and give lots of tlc to the 84. Squidly i will definitely try to make the MD day on the 27th to have all those 1st gen experts in one place at one time :fingers-crossed-emo i cant go wrong just broke oh wait im already broke :whistling: until my BP claim settelment comes in :cool10::cool10:

Squidley i will definitely try to make the MD day on the 27th to have all those 1st gen experts in one place at one time

I hope you can make it, we can get you a lot of education while your here even if you dont have either one of your bikes with you. The 1st gen and RSTD wheels are pretty much identical so they have the same hub set up.

I hope you can make it, we can get you a lot of education while your here even if you dont have either one of your bikes with you. The 1st gen and RSTD wheels are pretty much identical so they have the same hub set up.

How identical are they?

The RSTD has a 15" Rear.

Will it fit an '86 VR?

How identical are they?

The RSTD has a 15" Rear.

Will it fit an '86 VR?

The splines are identical and how they fit into the rear end, the fingers that fit into the hubs are the same style also. The difference is the wheel design, it very well may fit from 1 bike to the other

:confused24:

The splines are identical and how they fit into the rear end, the fingers that fit into the hubs are the same style also. The difference is the wheel design, it very well may fit from 1 bike to the other

:confused24:

Hmmmm!

That might be a potential route to a car tire on a 1st Gen.