IGNORED

Ignition Coil Question

GeorgeS

Ok, we all know that on 1st Gen coils, you can eaisly remove the plug wire from the coil, and the spark plug cap.

On the 2nd gen coils. the plug wire appears to " NOT " be removable, ( or replaceable ) from the coil end, of the plug wire.

SO-- I was looking at my right front Ignition Coil on my 08, yesterday, and where the plug wire go's into the Coil, it appears as if there is a " Sealant " applied around the wire where it mounts into the coil.

What I am getting at here, is I would like to replace the Plug Wires, with some type of " Shielded Spark Plug Wires " . Anyway, so I am wondering if maby I Could remove , and replace the wires from these coils.

Does anybody, have a Used ( ie: removed and replaced coil ) laying around in their garage.

If So, any chance I could get you to take the old coil, and pull " out " the plug wire, and take some close Ups, of what the hole looks like, and what is inside the hole after you pull out ( ie: remove ) the old plug wire.

I hope this all makes some sence, any way thanks to anybody who might be able to accomplish this,

I'm working on " Reduceing " Ignition Noise on the AM radio I have installed on my RSTD. And installing Shielded Plug wires might be of some help.

----------------------------------

Next Qustion : ??? Just curious, has anybody, Installed the 1st Gen Ignition Coils, on a 2nd Gen Bike ????

this would obviously solve the plug wire problem, if the coils will work on the 2nd gen bike .

I make this point, because it very easy to replace wires on the 1st gen coils, and lots of them avialable, I allready have two of them,

and would only have to find 2 more to do the job, if this is possible. ??

--------------------

Edited by GeorgeS

George, you could do that...or...simply contact J&M corp and buy one of their filters from them. It does a very good job of filtering all coil and wiring noise on a bike, to allow the radio to be static free.

Miles:detective:

George, you could do that...or...simply contact J&M corp and buy one of their filters from them. It does a very good job of filtering all coil and wiring noise on a bike, to allow the radio to be static free.

Miles:detective:

Yes, a filter in the 12 V dc supply to the radio helps a lot. I allready have one installed. It helped considerably. I even added, 4 12 Voltage Regulator Chips, onto the Filter Unit. ( right at the input 12V to the Radio )

However, static is, being radiated from the spark plugs, gets into the radio thru the antenna. Its comeing into the radio, on the received signal.

I wrapped the plug caps, and most of the Ignition wires with tin foil tape, and that helped considerably. My Improved Antenna, also helped considerably. I have eliminated about 85 percent of the noise allready, but still have some. This is why I think maby Shielded, commercial, resistence, plug wires might also help.

My Icom IC-7000 Ham radio has built in Noise Filtering, and almost completly eliminates the noise, when useing that radio. But I use only Single Side Band ( SSB ) with that radio. Noise less of a problem with that mode of operation.

But, AM mode, for AM broadcast band, is very prone to Ignition noise, much harder to cure.

At this point, it sounds like just One spark plug is causeing most of it. Best way to get rid of Ignition noise, is to eliminate it at its source.

Will get it figured out, one way or the other, sooner or later, as they say. !! :(:(

Yes, a filter in the 12 V dc supply to the radio helps a lot. I allready have one installed. It helped considerably. I even added, 4 12 Voltage Regulator Chips, onto the Filter Unit. ( right at the input 12V to the Radio )

However, static is, being radiated from the spark plugs, gets into the radio thru the antenna. Its comeing into the radio, on the received signal.

I wrapped the plug caps, and most of the Ignition wires with tin foil tape, and that helped considerably. My Improved Antenna, also helped considerably. I have eliminated about 85 percent of the noise allready, but still have some. This is why I think maby Shielded, commercial, resistence, plug wires might also help.

My Icom IC-7000 Ham radio has built in Noise Filtering, and almost completly eliminates the noise, when useing that radio. But I use only Single Side Band ( SSB ) with that radio. Noise less of a problem with that mode of operation.

But, AM mode, for AM broadcast band, is very prone to Ignition noise, much harder to cure.

At this point, it sounds like just One spark plug is causeing most of it. Best way to get rid of Ignition noise, is to eliminate it at its source.

Will get it figured out, one way or the other, sooner or later, as they say. !! :(:(

You could try resistor plugs or resistor caps or both, to change the spark freq.

The, Stock plugs, are allready Resistor plugs. and the Caps are allready Resistor Caps.

Stock wires on Ventures however, are NOT, Resistor wire, they are solid core copper plug wires.

Thats why I'm considering changing the Wires to Shielded, Resistor Type Wires .

There is Avialable, Shielded, Resistor Core Plug wires, for High performance engines.

The only problem, is determining if I can change the wires on the 2nd gen coils.

thats why I'm asking if sombody has a junk coil, and can remove the wire, to see exactly how its mounted,

I don't want to destroy one of my good coils to see if it can be done, at this time.

The, Stock plugs, are allready Resistor plugs. and the Caps are allready Resistor Caps.

Stock wires on Ventures however, are NOT, Resistor wire, they are solid core copper plug wires.

Thats why I'm considering changing the Wires to Shielded, Resistor Type Wires .

There is Avialable, Shielded, Resistor Core Plug wires, for High performance engines.

The only problem, is determining if I can change the wires on the 2nd gen coils.

thats why I'm asking if sombody has a junk coil, and can remove the wire, to see exactly how its mounted,

I don't want to destroy one of my good coils to see if it can be done, at this time.

If the bike is specc'd for copper-core wires there can be problems changing to non-copper.

You might want to check that carefully.

But sometimes, you will get better results, with resistor wire, and Non Resistor Plugs.

( which are avialable ) Ignition noise on radio's is always a hit or miss problem in trying to eliminate. On some vehicals its fairly easy, to eliminate, on others it can be almost impossible.

At this point I've got about 85 percent of it eliminated, so getting close.