IGNORED

Intermittent Charging Still

OK folks I want to go to the East TN to camp out next so I need to fix this quick.

Back in March I started out to Norfolk on my bike got about 75 miles away and it stopped charging had the wife bring me the battery out of my other bike so I could get back home. Got back home and the bike was not charging took all the connectors apart cleaned them and the bike was charging just fine went another thousand miles and the bike was fine until I rode it to work one day and it was dead by the time I got to work. Charged the battery at work to get me back home, when I got home it was charging I checked the rectifier and it seemed to be a little out of specs so I replaced it with one Steel Horse Cowboy sent me (thanks again). Well today I pulled my trailer around for about 60 miles and I noticed at the red light I was not charging however when I turned off my driving lights it was charging again got it home and it was still charging but only about 13 volts. I have an extra stator (that Steel Horse Cowboy sent me) but I would like some confirmation before I dig into it. The voltages test fine when I have it loose but its not under load at that point. Thanks all and it sure is nice to be riding again.

Joe

Joe, get in there and check the connection that goes to the Stator.

you WILL find a hell of a mess or dirt and grime in and around the

plug itself. also look inside and some are burnt and mine was full

of crud. when I add my new HO Stator I cut the plugs and soldered the wire together.

If you need pictures as to where is is I can send some to you.

good luck on what you find.

Jeff

Joe, get in there and check the connection that goes to the Stator.

you WILL find a hell of a mess or dirt and grime in and around the

plug itself. also look inside and some are burnt and mine was full

of crud. when I add my new HO Stator I cut the plugs and soldered the wire together.

If you need pictures as to where is is I can send some to you.

good luck on what you find.

Jeff

Had very little crude around the plug and it was only slightly dirty inside I used Cramoline to clean it. It was a pain to get to, I really want to save soldering as a last resort.

Disconnect the stator, start the bike, and then measure the AC voltage from the stator. There should be more than 20VAC at idle and nearly 100VAC at 3000 or more RPM.

Less than 20VAC on any phase indicates a bad stator.

Sorry about your troubles. I just went through a similar situation on my 06 RSV. Replacing the stator is not a fun job.:080402gudl_prv:

Just a check, have you pulled the Connector out of the Rectifyer/Regulator Unit, and checked for Corrsion in the pins.

ALSO: when you have this plug removed, After Cleaning the pins, then use an OHM / Meter ( A good one !!!!! ) And Check Resistance from Each PIN to the other side of the plug, where the Wire is Crimped onto that pin.

-THESE PLUGS ( ie: Connectors ) ARE KNOWN TO GO BAD, DUE TO WATER GETTING INTO THEM !!!!

I remember at least two people who have had to replace or re-build these electrical connectors, !!! Its not a very fun job.

It May, LOOK!!! OK, but until you check it with an Ohm Meter, you cannot really be sure.

OK folks I want to go to the East TN to camp out next so I need to fix this quick.

Back in March I started out to Norfolk on my bike got about 75 miles away and it stopped charging had the wife bring me the battery out of my other bike so I could get back home. Got back home and the bike was not charging took all the connectors apart cleaned them and the bike was charging just fine went another thousand miles and the bike was fine until I rode it to work one day and it was dead by the time I got to work. Charged the battery at work to get me back home, when I got home it was charging I checked the rectifier and it seemed to be a little out of specs so I replaced it with one Steel Horse Cowboy sent me (thanks again). Well today I pulled my trailer around for about 60 miles and I noticed at the red light I was not charging however when I turned off my driving lights it was charging again got it home and it was still charging but only about 13 volts. I have an extra stator (that Steel Horse Cowboy sent me) but I would like some confirmation before I dig into it. The voltages test fine when I have it loose but its not under load at that point. Thanks all and it sure is nice to be riding again.

Joe

This is quite normal.

At idle there is no way the charging system can keep up with the added load of the driving lights and the trailer lights. You will not have full output of the charging circuit till 2500 - 3000 rpm. As long as the voltage comes back up as soon as you get up to speed, it is normal.

This is quite normal.

At idle there is no way the charging system can keep up with the added load of the driving lights and the trailer lights. You will not have full output of the charging circuit till 2500 - 3000 rpm. As long as the voltage comes back up as soon as you get up to speed, it is normal.

It actually drops more at higher RPMS, I decided to go ahead and take off the cover and replace the stator, yeah good luck with that I tried the trick of heating the screws up to melt the loctite but they still do not want to budge. I am to the point were I am willing to pay someone to remove it for me (any takers ?). I also think I am going to order one of the upgrades any suggestions?

I ended up cutting slots in the screw heads with a Dremel and then turning them out with a straight screwdriver. Obviously the screws had to be replaced. I used bolts instead of screws for the replacements.

Joe, cut slots in the heads with a dremel and use an impact driver to remove the screws, the kind you whack with a hammer. Good solid blows will work..no love taps. The proper size replacement bolts are the same ones that hold the handlebars in place. Right size and length.

Yup! Impact and #3 JIS bit!! I was reasonably successful with heat, #3 Phillips and vice grips clamped tightly on screwdriver shaft and healthy wack with hammer before trying to unscrew. gGot all but 1 which needed vice grips on screw head along with heat! Use regular hardened, at least an 8 bolts and loctite when reassembling.

I used a Rick's stator and am back to stock R/R...