IGNORED

Long Distance Motorcycling

twigg

As many of you are aware, I have a 1986 Venture Royale.

I use it for personal daily transport (yeah, it goes to Walmart), for pleasure rides with my wife on the back, and for Long Distance Riding.

I am not alone in this, not even on this Forum where there are several contributors who do the same or similar.

It occurred to me that there must also be many who think "Mad sods! Catch me doing that!", and others who actually like the idea but are not sure what is involved.

LD Riding is not for everyone but there may be some wondering what it is like, and how they can dip their toes in the water.

If there is any interest I would be very happy to write a series of articles describing what is involved .... the bike, the planning, the execution and other stuff folk are interested in.

If that would be welcomed, please reply below and if the articles are to be useful, then some idea of the concerns that need to be addressed would be helpful.

LD Riding isn't just about Certificates and Rallies, sometimes it is just that two-week vacation you are planning, and want to acheive in an enjoyable way rather that a painful one.

i have done a couple of long distance runs i never had time to plan just ran no awards no certificates no honor mentions recognition of any sort and dont care for it but if you write it i will read it especially any part that tell you (ME) what TOOLS to Take for the last minute people like ME who always forget something 500 mi. on the side of the road man i FORGOT the TOOLS what a Dummy I AM :whistling::confused24:

Oh, I am so interested in reading it, I have a Venture too and a BMW, I can take any bike for a long distance ride.

Apart from the normal nerves and fear of traveling solo, I need to know what to do, how to plan, prepare, take, etc.

At my young age of 63, I'm just waiting for the opportunity to take my first long distance trip, say California?

Rudy:fingers-crossed-emo

Willing, able and ready.

Thank you so much

i have done a couple of long distance runs i never had time to plan just ran no awards no certificates no honor mentions recognition of any sort and dont care for it but if you write it i will read it especially any part that tell you (ME) what TOOLS to Take for the last minute people like ME who always forget something 500 mi. on the side of the road man i FORGOT the TOOLS what a Dummy I AM :whistling::confused24:

Tools are problematic.

I take a decent kit and have never used it .... However, I am quite convinced that when I do need it I will not have what I need, or it will be safer to call AMA .. etc :)

I have a very good puncture repair kit and don't even go past the end of the driveway without it.

You'll get a different opinion from everyone you ask about toolkits.

I personally don't worry that much with a tool kit just keep up/with the maintenance. If something is going to break that I haven't taken care of already more than likely I won't have the tools or equipment to fix it. I do carry a good plug kit and compressor along with CO2 cartridges, fuses,tape etc. not much. Usually every time the wife and I get out it's 300-500 miles per day the norm for us. Last year the wife went to the beach for 2 weeks, I took off on the bike. A friend and I did a 10-10ths ride 10,000 miles in 10 days had a great time. It wasn't that hard if you like riding, we rode 500 miles out eat a good meal 500 miles home for 10 days straight. We rode no particular direction just tried to run around 500 miles each direction.

We both started on fresh tires and oil changes checked tire pressure every day, even done a oil change.

I enjoyed the first of your articles that I read. If you are persuaded to offer some more, I would consider it time well spent to read them. :happy34:

You never know, once the drywall and insulation are finished, there might be time for other things. :big-grin-emoticon:

I have a 1/4 inch drive socket set from Sears and a 6" extention and the set has a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter that I can use with my socket heads I carry. I can pretty much do anything that I would do on the road with these. I also carry a very compact set of jumper cables. I have very seldom ever had to use them with my bike but they have come in handy to help out other bikers. These all fit neatly in the bottom of my saddle bag and take up very little room.

I carry every tool that I have used on the bike. even a grease gun for the trailer grease jukes. air compressor, tire plugs, and two LED flashlights, for those hard to see area's. But I also write down all the bike shops on my route, or what's close by, including Hospitals. I never use small county roads, and I don't ride the super slab, & I always carry more food and water then I need.

I'm sure interested! I'm new to the Venture, but not new to riding. However, all my riding has been short, sport touring type, one day out and back at most.

I'd be interested in knowing what you take and how you pack it. Do you have a way of carrying drinks and snacks within easy reach? Is it even necessary?

I'm sure interested! I'm new to the Venture, but not new to riding. However, all my riding has been short, sport touring type, one day out and back at most.

I'd be interested in knowing what you take and how you pack it. Do you have a way of carrying drinks and snacks within easy reach? Is it even necessary?

I carry a plastic bag, with magnets on each corner, Its attached the the gas tank, with, a few sandwiches in it, a small cooler with 6 sodas on the back seat ( easy to reach)

I have not done any long distance riding yet might be going out to the east coast next summer my biggest concern and question is how do you keep your bottom side comfortable and cool for that long

I use a sheep skin seat cover, it adds a little cushion and helps to keep your bottom side from sweating. A backrest is also great for helping to support your back.

Twigg, I am all in favor of the offering of more LD info. Once you know me, then you know I am way into that stuff. Been an IBA member since 1984. To save you on a lot of additional writing, most of the info can be found at the IronButt Association website. Riders and readers can go to www.ironbutt.com to find one heck of a lot of info, including rides and rallies in their areas, so they can get started in this.

A suggestion might be to have a seminar (I volunteer to help in any way) at the International Rally, wherein we speak specifically about LD riding, all that it entails. Just like the annual IBA gathering in Denver, there are classes and seminars to assist the newer riders, or re-align the brains of the older LD riders.

The next step would be to offer a VR/RSTD members LD ride. I have hosted endurance rallies for many years, so I have experience to offer if other are willing to participate.

As for tools on the ride, as one member has already said...the best tool is preventive maintenance...making certain that the bike is ready to ride 30,000 miles in the next 230 days...even if you are only going for a 500 mile ride. If you prepare your bike for a 1000 mile ride, that may not be enough. You bike should be...battle ready...to withstand the possibility of riding 5000 miles, rather than the 1000 you planned. So many times I have seen riders show up at the start of an event, with tires that are more than 1/2 worn out, and their reasoning is that there is enough thread left to do this ride, and get them home. By the time they get home, the tires should be wasted. That...is stupid. You don't need to always start with a brand new fresh set of tires, but...be smart about it, and have more than enough tire still on the bike, after you get home, that the bike is still safe to ride.

I carry a very small amount of tools with me. It is always on my mind, when packing, but I always have my bikes in excellent mechanical condition, ready to ride from Coast to Coast on a moments notice, and if I need to change oil or tires when on the road, due to a ride that is longer than expected, I am prepared for that occurence.

So, Twigg...and compatriots, bring on the LD stuff. Either get your info from the IronButt website, or from Twigg here. Let's do a seminar class at the International Rally, and maybe plan a LD ride for the VR/RSTD membership.

I use a sheep skin seat cover, it adds a little cushion and helps to keep your bottom side from sweating. A backrest is also great for helping to support your back.

If you dont have a back rest or even care to have one, carry one of those elastic back support belts, used by workers. They are available at most hardware stores, come in a variaty of styles, including a cool mesh materia, that breaths (for hot days). You will be pleased at the difference it makes. I have an old back injury from falling 25 feet, to a oncrete floor, when a scaffold I was on, toppled over and some days I just can't ride without it.

I have not done any long distance riding yet might be going out to the east coast next summer my biggest concern and question is how do you keep your bottom side comfortable and cool for that long

A good back rest. I have also wasted tons of money on diffrent seats, memory foam/gel pads, sheep skin and the one that worked a miricle for me is the Air hawk cusion

Seems like the interest is there, and plenty of people are making great suggestions.

I'll get on it and I will write the thing in a series of "bite-sized" chunks, giving folk time to reflect upon each part.

I am not the last word in LD Riding. I can tell it from my perspective, and add in conventional wisdom, but others here can flesh things out from their own perspective which should give a more complete picture.