so you mean no one is right???, the audio guy said top left to bottom right, which makes a 4 inch speaker, 5 1/2 inch:doh::confused24:

I disagree with the audio guy.. center to center of mounting hole pattern top to bottom and side to side is the only way.

Measuring top left to bottom right does not make sence to me at all.. how would one know they have a 6 x 9 speaker measuing this way?

I disagree with all of you. 4" is the diameter of the woofer. The holes will be slightly more. Here is an example. This is of a Pioneer but it is the standard. I have used these same Pioneer speakers as well as the Polks and they all had the same measurements in regards to the stud locations for mounting. They also matched the stock Clarion speakers.

Guest scarylarry
I disagree with all of you. 4" is the diameter of the woofer. The holes will be slightly more. Here is an example. This is of a Pioneer but it is the standard. I have used these same Pioneer speakers as well as the Polks and they all had the same measurements in regards to the stud locations for mounting. They also matched the stock Clarion speakers.

Like a TV corner to corner of the screen not the cabinet or side to side

This is correct.

To ensure they will fit you need two measurements. The "size" of the speaker is the diameter of the cone, the dimensions of the hole pattern tells you if it will fit the location.

The good news is that those hole patterns are generally standard sizes, so most 4" round speakers should fit. Speaker depth can sometimes be an issue as well.