IGNORED

Avon Tire question

Guest HdHtr

This is not a question of whether an Avon is a good tire or how good their customer service is or warranty or how long they last or how they handle. I like the way Avon's handle on my 91 VR.

I am on my 6th or 7th SET of Avon Venom's in the last 5 years. And frankly it could be the 8th. I have lost track.

I have yet to get more than 5000 miles out of either a front or rear tire before the sidewalls have cracked extensively and usually I get more in the range of 1000 to 3000 miles. All of the tires were mfg'd within 6 to 9 months of mounting.

Understand that I maintain the tire pressure per the techs at Avon, bike has been garaged, I do not wash the tires with anything but rain water, I haven't washed my rims in 10 or so years. I use no chemicals or products on the rims or tires. I put the tires on and ride. The bike did sit for a few months after I had a hip and knee replaced but otherwise I try to get out and ride (ie: exercise the tires ...) when ever I can.

I have found the Avon reps (and I have been through 2 different companies that rep for Avon here in the states) agreeable and out of all the Avon's I have had, I have only paid for one (1) set and mounting twice. Good for Avon. Whoopie.

The bike has a touch over 200,000 miles on it. No problems that would affect it's ride or tire wear or condition. Period.

Once again after a short time on this set I am experiencing rather extreme sidewall cracking. So here is my question:

Has any one actually heard of or experienced a sidewall blowing out as a result of this type of cracking (not related to age rot) or is this just cosmetic?

I am getting tired of putting tires on this thing every 3000 miles.

Unless the tires are brand new, they all will have some hairline cracks in the sidewalls.

It's a matter of degree. The sun will cause the surface the weather. I just looked at all our tires, and all of them except the rear on the VR (which is new) have some superficial cracks in the sidewall ...

It's a different matter if the Avon Rep agreed that the cracks were more serious than that.

Other than the cracks I mentioned, the only time I have seen seriously damaged sidewalls have been on tires that have been on a bike, or car, for many years. They don't just crack with age, they harden and the structure loses much of its strength.

Did the Rep give any explanation why so many tires cracked to the point they needed warranty replacement?

Guest scarylarry

I don't have a answer for your questions, I have friend in Az. that has the same problem as you..

I thought maybe the climate but we eliminated cause some folks in the Tenn. area had the same issue..

I'm on my 3rd set may be 4th and I never had a problem...

I do know the guy in Az. cracks was large enough to put a coin in...

The reps have never given any explanation other than it is an isolated incident (no matter how many they deal with on a yearly basis) and returns for all problems covered under warranty and issues such as this comprise less than 1% of the tires sold. They have promised to get back to me after they inspect the returned tires. That is one thing they have never done. All the tires have been brand new when mounted and within 6 to 9 months of mfg date. This is not weather checking or age rot.

Myself I am hoping it is cosmetic and not functionally affecting the tire. I myself have never heard of a sidewall failing on a Venom and know riders who have ridden the tire down to nothing after the cracking started with no ill effects.

It does make me nervous though ...

I'm on my 3rd set may be 4th and I never had a problem...

I do know the guy in Az. cracks was large enough to put a coin in...

Thanks ... I was living in NC for the majority of the time I've been dealing with the Avon tire issues. I've had some major cracking on these but never big enough to put a coin in the crack!

SteveD, Avon has a very long history of having cracks on the sidewalls of their tires. It is well documented, and Avon lost a lot of riders due to this issue. I know that I switched brands.

However, I have never heard of a structural blowout or tire failure due to the sidewall cracking. If it were as severe as...being able to put a coin head in it...then the tire must be replaced immediately...and I would question the rider that allowed a tire to be on their bike that long, that someone could come along and insert a coin head into a sidewall crack.

Avon has done a lot to overcome that issue, but...they never regarded it as a "problem", other than losing customers over it.

You may want to try Dunlop, as there has not been a history of any kind of sidewall cracking on the E 3's.

BTW, you reference that you run the air pressure that Avon reps say you should. What is the tire pressure that they "say" you should run????

Miles

Guest scarylarry
SteveD, Avon has a very long history of having cracks on the sidewalls of their tires. It is well documented, and Avon lost a lot of riders due to this issue. I know that I switched brands.

However, I have never heard of a structural blowout or tire failure due to the sidewall cracking. If it were as severe as...being able to put a coin head in it...then the tire must be replaced immediately...and I would question the rider that allowed a tire to be on their bike that long, that someone could come along and insert a coin head into a sidewall crack.

Avon has done a lot to overcome that issue, but...they never regarded it as a "problem", other than losing customers over it.

You may want to try Dunlop, as there has not been a history of any kind of sidewall cracking on the E 3's.

BTW, you reference that you run the air pressure that Avon reps say you should. What is the tire pressure that they "say" you should run????

Miles

Tire had less 3k miles on it and was installed that year they was replace right away....

As I said he went thru 3 sets and follow the air pressure as recommended, cause that was my first thought and question was it to low or to high...

I have had a couple of sets of touring elites, prefer Pirelli's (no front tire for mine anymore) and found the Avons great ... You just need to mount the Avon's and put 30K miles on them the first week you have them.

Avon Fitments For Yamaha

XVZ 1300 T D Venture Royal (1986 - 1993)

Front Tyres

» Venom AM41

Size 120/90-18 71H

2.5 bar (40psi) solo 42-psi two up.

Rear tyres

» Venom AM42

Size 140/90B16 77H

2.9 bar (44psi) solo 46-psi two up.

This is right out of one of their emails to me back in 2008. This changed later to 46 front, 48 rear. The tires have always held air like I'd expect, check every week, nothing unusual in that regard.

I have searched the internet and although I can find many posts on different sites on sidewall cracking I have not been able to confirm any blow outs.

Guest scarylarry

After looking closer at the picture it don't appear to be as deep and made out but still now what I would want..

http://home.comcast.net/~tankerhank//pwpimages/.__640_480_002_sm.jpg

After looking closer at the picture it don't appear to be as deep and made out but still now what I would want..

http://home.comcast.net/~tankerhank//pwpimages/.__640_480_002_sm.jpg

Those cracks are way more severe than anything I was referring to.

You have anything in the garage that is cranking out ozone? Furnace/ac blower, other motors, welding etc.

NO. Nothing. These tires spend less than 3 or 4 months on the bike before being replaced.

So why does anybody continue to purchace these tires ??

Dunlop E-3, !! Problem solved, expect 15 to 20K on the rears, and

maby more on the front.

George you are right, unequivocally right. But, please note that I have only bought one set of Avon's. Last replacement they would of 'reimbursed' me for any type of tire I wanted to get. Problem with that is I did not trust them to reimburse me. There are still outstanding bills to shops for labor for R&R that Avon did not pay. So I just had them send me another set. I figured that if only 1% of all the tires have problems and not all problems are sidewall cracking ... I had to luck out and get a good tire.

Just didn't work out, I am still in the 1% ... no cracks about colors now.

Next set I "buy" will most likely be Micheline or Dunlops. But I would like to get some 'time' on a set of Avons one of these days!!

FWIW I have had zero problems with Bridgestone Spitfire IIs

They can carry the weight, they are fine on pressures and they are one of the cheapest tires out there.

They track fairly well ... I had an issue with the amount of jumping about the front did on concrete joints. It wasn't the tires and the Superbrace completely cured it.

I don't try to wear out the edges of my tires. If I wanted to do that I'd buy a sports bike. I don't hang around either but I do respect wet roads.

I guess I am a fairly average rider who sometimes rides further than average :)

The Bridgestones are fine. There may be others that folk prefer but they will all cost more.

found the Avons great ... You just need to mount the Avon's and put 30K miles on them the first week you have them.

SteveD, your suggestion that a rider put 30k miles on the tires in the first "week" may seem a bit difficult to do, but...putting 30k miles on in the first month is not that far of a stretch. I know...ask me how.

Miles...30,681 miles in 30 days...as per the IBA website.:)

OK. I take it that no one that's read the posts here has ever actually known of a Avon blowing the sidewall out from this cracking. Like I said, I have never heard of it actually happening and although Avon has replaced a lot of tires for this reason, on mine they've never really admitted that it was a dangerous situation.

Still makes me nervous though.

SteveD, your suggestion that a rider put 30k miles on the tires in the first "week" may seem a bit difficult to do, but...putting 30k miles on in the first month is not that far of a stretch. I know...ask me how.

Miles...30,681 miles in 30 days...as per the IBA website.:)

This was far from a suggestion Miles. Sorta a tongue in cheek thing.

Look. I want to stress again this is not a pick on Avon thread. I am happy for those who have had great results with these tires. Avon tells me time and again that warranty claims for all reasons, not just sidewall cracking, on their tires amounts to only 1% of their product they sell. I believe them ...

Me, I love the way they handle and I've had a lot of Avon tires.

Avon has treated me nice.

What I want to know is has anyone ever actually experienced first or even 2nd hand a Avon blowing the sidewall as a result of the cracking.

Look. I want to stress again this is not a pick on Avon thread. I am happy for those who have had great results with these tires. Avon tells me time and again that warranty claims for all reasons, not just sidewall cracking, on their tires amounts to only 1% of their product they sell. I believe them ...

Me, I love the way they handle and I've had a lot of Avon tires.

Avon has treated me nice.

What I want to know is has anyone ever actually experienced first or even 2nd hand a Avon blowing the sidewall as a result of the cracking.

You may find this interesting:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636925

Yes, I have seen that write up and in looking around Avon is not the only radial tire that has experienced a sort of spontaneous delamination. Nice looking sidewall though. Be interesting to find out if a sidewall problem caused the tire to peel off like that.

I cannot find any instance where an Avon bias tire tossed chunks of tread off or anything related to a sidewall issue. I have known of and seen a few metzlers toss chunks about and have huge bubbles between the casing and tread. Just no Avon's.

Understand that I will be replacing both of these tires ASAP, just gotta get some $$$ in before that can be done.

Just returned from a 4,000 mile trip. Took a look at the Avon Venom Am42 on the front of our trike. It has 8,000 miles on it and no cracks. Tire started with 11/32" tread depth, and still 9/32" at tire center. That's 1/32" wear every 4,000 miles. I like it!

Yes, I have seen that write up and in looking around Avon is not the only radial tire that has experienced a sort of spontaneous delamination. Nice looking sidewall though. Be interesting to find out if a sidewall problem caused the tire to peel off like that.

I cannot find any instance where an Avon bias tire tossed chunks of tread off or anything related to a sidewall issue. I have known of and seen a few metzlers toss chunks about and have huge bubbles between the casing and tread. Just no Avon's.

Understand that I will be replacing both of these tires ASAP, just gotta get some $$$ in before that can be done.

Sometimes these things remain unsolved. If it were a widespread issue we would all know about it and Avon would have fixed it by now.

Switch brand, and if the problem disappears then the answer is that there is something unusual about your specific combination that didn't suit the Avon (or something changed). If it happens with another brand then you have a problem to solve .... maybe something to do with the bike.

It's not really a case of being down on Avon, simply exploring what the issue might be, I agree, by the way, Avon do seem to have been very fair.

Usually when things like this occur it has been experienced by lots of people and there are known solutions. This is a puzzle and folk do like to get their teeth into a good puzzle. It's not about blame.