Greetings all,

I came into a beautiful 98 Royal Star. It looks like it started life out as a standard because it has quad exhausts. Not only that but it appears to be BUB 4x4 exhausts.

The bike came with the deluxe backrest, seats and soft bags.

If anyone out there has them I was wondering what the pipe measurements are [OD/ID]

I think it would look really awesome with FOUR tailgunner mufflers.

Attached are a couple of pics. I have already sent some inquires out to BUB.

Excuse the poor quality.

That is a good looking old bike. I had a set of Bub slip-on mufflers on my '04 Midnite Venture, and had the tip measurements but I can't find them now. I loved the sound and the looks, but the chrome blistered and peeled off the billet tips. They replaced the first set under warranty, and repeatedly assured me that they had stopped chroming the billet. I put the new set on and they peeled faster than the first set did. I contacted them the second time and they basically told me to p!&$ off, they weren't going to honor their warranty. Not long after my issues with them they started anodizing the tips black. If you can get all the chrome peeled off you can buff/polish out the tips, or have them anodized or powder coated. Am I right in guessing that it sounds pretty good with the 4-into-4 setup?

Yes, it looks like they weren't chromed like mine were. Those tips look exactly like mine did, and they should have 2 stainless steel pop rivets holding each of them in. Looking at them from the rear, the rivets on the right side pipes should be at 6:00 and 9:00, and on the left side at 6:00 and 3:00. The tips were a really snug fit into the muffler bodies too, as they also held the baffles in place, I remember having to spray some WD-40 in between the tips and muffler bodies to get them out. When you get the tips off then you can slip the baffles out. If they haven't been removed for a while then the packing material around the baffles is probably long gone, mine sounded much better without it anyway.

the tips are alumium and they have always had the caps peels off, bub has replaced most sets, but seems like they never did any thing to fix it. i have a 01 royal and have the bub header pipes which is 1 7/8" od and 1 3/4" id in the 4x2 setup. i had samson fishtails on them for several years(i sold the bub mufflers out of the set, didn't want to deal with them) but now have barons nasty boys on it. i got the bub pipes because they are the biggest id of any pipes made, the stock pipes are 7/8"id on the 4x4s where they go into the mufflers on the 96-01 royals and 1 18" on the stock venture pipes. you can hear mine running with the bubs pipes and sampsom fishtails on youtube by typing in tazmocycle in the search box. they are a lot louder now with the nasty boys, than with the sampsons. you can sand off the tips and polish them with mother's polish till they look like chrome if you want to spend the time and elbow grease to do it. nobody makes the 4x4 setup for the 96-01 royals anymore, some come up for sale some times but you can use any pipes off of or for the ventures or 05 up tour deluxes, just have to make hangers for the back of mufflers or get the framing for the hard bags for the ventures. if you look at the youtube recording of tazmocycle you'll see where i have put the venture bags and framing on my blvd. i see you have a lot of billet chrome parts added to your bike, i do have several new parts for your bike if you don't have them or want to add them to it. i have the differential plug cover and the rear axle bolt covers and many something else, will have to look. hope you enjoy your ride, i have for the last 11 years and 75,000 miles, i'm hoping to get it re painted this winter and add a few more engine parts and a v-max rearend to it (11% lower gear ratio) for when i tow my trailer behind it.

Thanks for the info. My previous ride was an extrememly modified 85 VMAX. I have always loved the old 80's muscle cruisers. I loved that bike but it wasn't the most comfortable ride after 150+ miles. I traded it straight up for the 98 RS. It came with all the attached chrome jewelry. The only thing I was going to do to it was to add tailgunner mufflers, a batwing fairing,some hard bags, and come up with some kind of a cover for the rear pumpkin.

After tooling around with a 160+ HP V-Max, I think I can relax at a lopey 75hp on the RS. I have a pristine set of 35mm carbs, a set of FCR's and a vmax custom mild cam if things get too pokey.

i have a 96, 97 and 01 royal star, 03 venture trike, 86 venture and 01 &06 v-star 1100s. i have always wanted a v-max! have rode several friends and the NEW one at star days last year. i love drag racing! did 9 years of street racing back in the 80s. raced my 01 venture in 04 at a harley drag day and was running 7thousanths of a secs behind 2 screaming eagle v-rod. won a $100 gift cert. after outrunning a friend's 05 royal star td. they took a pic of my bike and me in front of the sign with the time and speed but they told me later it didn't come out clear, i think they didn't want anybody see my times because i was 5th in all!!LOL!! there are several mods you can do to these motors to get the hp up and their not that costly. you can go to delphiforums.com and look up "royal star v-4 rocks" thats a forum that several of us started back several yrs ago when there wasn't much imfo on these bike. there's some good imfo on the start abd web page on differant mods to do. most of us wander between all these differant forums for more imfo to help us out. some have put the v-max cams and the 32mm carbs off the venture into their bikes for more power. i have the dyna tech 3000, rejetted 28mm carbs and opened up the airbox and it has enough power to do what i want. i do have a rearend with the v-max gears in it to put in it for when i tow my trailer behind it. i hgope to re-paint it this winter at's showing it age after 11 yrs and 75,000 miles.

The update from Bub is they might have made a custom version for this bike. In which case it's an ultra rare set. I might just purchase a stock set and have them modified for the tailgunners. I'm not going to cut up a unique system.

at the time i cut up and made a 4x2 set, there wasn't much supply around for these bikes, as yamaha stopped making them in 01 and when they came back out in 05 with the tour deluxe it'was on the same order as the venture. some of the part will cross over but there's a lots of differance in the frame and motor.