IGNORED

Another bad fuel pump

Went out tonight to start my bike, pulled the choke, turned the ingnition on....no fuel pump clicking. Pushed the starter switch anyway, fired right up but low idle rpm's with choke on....not good. Tried to give a little throttle....died :think:. Recycled the ignition no clicking, no starting. Put the cover back on her and got in the Tahoe and went to work a very unhappy soul.:( I think a new fuel pump is coming. I think it has been intermittent for a few weeks now though. Never died or left me stranded but I would notice the pump not clicking after being parked for a day or more. I think when I tried starting the bike maybe the pump made connection then and I could'nt here it over the starter/engine turning over and she would ignite. I still have warranty till November, but I don't know if I should take it in. My luck, is when I get it there, it will work just fine and I will be out my bike for a week. Are you guy's having good luck with your after market $45.00 pumps? If so, I will just go buy one of those and be done with it. Thanks, Carl

Take in in while under warranty.

You can get the Mr Gasket $45 pump but the dealer will replace the Mitzibushi $300 pump for free.

My 2009 RSV (43k miles) almost left me stranded in the boonies Sunday.

It acted like it simply ran out of gas. I drifted to a side road.

Tried to start several times. Would fire then die.

I started to set it for gravity feed but instead gave the pump a couple of good taps.

It fired and ran strong. I changed my ride plans and headed back home.

The next morning I turned the key 4 times before the pump cut in.

So, last night I dropped it by the shop. They will check it out and most likely replace the pump. BUT it is intermittent,,, so I hope they DO replace it.

I got a mountain trip coming up in a couple of weeks.

But, I did stop by an AutoZone yesterday and yes they do stock the Mr.Gasket ($47) 42S pump, on the shelf. If for some reason my shop does not replace my pump, I may buy one of these and hope I don't need it (?).

Mike G in SC

Mike you mention "setting pump for gravity feed". What/how do you do pray tell? I'm leaving on a mountian trip next week and was thinking about just replacing the fuel filter for good measure. Currently 15500 miles.

BUY that pump and keep it in your trunk for a spare . there small enough to store away.

I have two OEM's that I got from PINWALL way back when and keep one in the garage and one in my trunk just in case. think I got them for $29.00 each. all tested great.

Have fun on your trip and ride safe!

Jeff

Mike you mention "setting pump for gravity feed". What/how do you do pray tell? I'm leaving on a mountian trip next week and was thinking about just replacing the fuel filter for good measure. Currently 15500 miles.

Dion,

Below is a cut & paste of a cut & paste from 2009. That was on my RSTD. Will be the same for a RSV.

I got lucky the other day by tapping the pump, that got me home. But it's really nice to know about setting up for Gravity Feed.

Mike G in SC

Like Jim said, Gravity Feed. I found my 2009 post about it(below). I ran for a week, almost 1000 miles until the dealer could get one in.

Mine went at about 50k. If you get stuck, like Wizard said, you can re-route the fuel line to the carbs. in 15 minutes. Remove the seat, remove the rear tank bolt, lift the rear of the tank for access to the carb port. Pull the line off the top of the filter and re-route it to the carbs. (obviously you have to pull the line that came from the bottom of the pump to the carb.)

Make sure you have a good needle nose pliers for the clamps. Oh, and a flashlight incase it happens at night. You should also open the left side cover and disconnect the electrical connection to the pump so it won't try to poop out any remaining gas.

If you think you may do this for a while, buy a small cheap inline filter and a couple of inches of gas line and put it inline close to the fuel cutoff valve.

You are good for lot's of miles this way. Might have issues if you let the tank get too low.

Ah, and don't smoke while you are doing this!

BUT,,,, now thinking about it, you could simply carry a 3' length of gas line (same size as comes off the pitcock). Maybe even put a small inline filter in it. Then, if you need to do the Gravity Feed thing you would simply run this line from the tank to the carb port. You would still have to lift the back of the tank to do it. So, then you would not have to pull the line off the filter/pump area. But do remember to open the left side cover and disconnect the pump.

That is a bunch cheaper than carrying a spare pump and a lot less complicated too.

I think I will head to Autozone for a few feet of gas line.

Mike G in SC

Edited by Mike G in SC

ODDLY HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH A YAMAHA VIRAGO LAST YEAR. REBUILT CARB'S BUT THE PUMP KEPT OVER POWERING THE FLOATs . Disconnected the pump and went to gravity feed and the bike ran great up to 80mph when it started to get fuel starved . Slow down to 70 and all was good. Oddly enough I could accelerate past 80 for a few minutes before it would drain the bowls. I know its off the subject but i still have the pump in the garage . and the secondary tank was under seat like the the venture.