IGNORED

Back from Goose Bay/Happy Valley

Miles

I have returned...or so the saying goes. The guy I was riding with, and I...returned home last night, after 15 days and 14 nights on the road, from Western Washington State to Goose Bay/Happy Valley, Newfoundland. The round trip was slightly under 10,000 miles. I rode my 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere', and he rode my old...his new...2005 BMW R1200GS.

No problems were had by anyone, and we had decent weather, no accidents, no tickets, and very few bed bugs at all the motels.

All in all, it was a good trip. Next trip, down to Bolivia, to ride the Death Highway. We are leaving on January 2nd, 2013. Anyone want to join us ????

Miles

10,000 miles? how about a Super Tenere report? i was interested in one. pics, luggage, abs, fuel mileage, farkles, etc...pleeeaaassse.

If you are really interested in one...mine will be available for sale after I return from Bolivia. That will be the first week of February. It will be well broken in, but...extremely well maintained, and well accessorized.

As for luggage...almost everything on this bike is from Touratech. Since I am only 70 miles from their headquaters, it is easy to go...buy...and ride home. Yes, the bike does have ABS, and it is excellent. Fuel mileage is always dependent on many factors, but...having said that, I averaged 42 mpg on this last trip. Farkels...I do not add as much *&%&&* as most IBA riders do, but I always use my trusty Garmin Zumo 550, my Valentine One, and my Roady2 Satellite radio. I have no need for multiple GPS units, or multiple detectors and scanners, or multiple radios. If you buy the best quality the first time, and install it correctly, it will last as long as the bike.

Pictures, yes they are coming. Give me a little time to download, and I will send you some.

I will be selling this bike (in case you wanted to ask) to make room for a different adventure bike next Spring. Smaller engine, more versatile.

Miles

Sounds like the s 10 isn't filling the bill.

Okay, I can accept that as a possibility. I like the S10, and it is better off road than the R12GS, but...having experienced smaller engines in dualsport bikes, I think I will go with either a Vstrom 650, or a BMW F800GS. I have already been through all of Honda's dualsport lineup from Europe, such as the Africa Twin 750, and the Varadero 1000. I even tried the newest Transalp 700. Selling this S10 next year will have given me a full year on the bike, and about 35,000 miles on it by then, and...after having already had the R12GS, my experience has taught me that one does not need a big cc engine for doing serious offroad riding. It is nice to have the dualsport bigger engine for getting from point A to point B, meaning, from home to where the asphalt ends, but getting from point B to point C, from where the asphalt ends to around the top of the world and back to where the asphalt starts again, I prefer to use a 650cc to 800cc engine. They are much more utilitarian on the dirt/gravel, than a big cc engine is.

I am leaning very strong toward the Vstrom 650, and I love all the aftermarket accessories available, and that I can run it on tiger piss, rather than having to use premium fuel. Parts are available all over the world, the bike is light, ergonomically perfect for me, and cheap to operate compared to the F800GS.

I know dealers in my area would trade me straight across for my used S10, with 35K on it, for a new Vstrom 650...if I wanted to do that, but I usually have a rider waiting in the wings that wants one of my bikes, so I feel somewhat obligated to sell it to them, rather than trade it in. I did trade one in last year, and felt like *&^%^& when I found out that some wannabe poopy-head bought my former bike, and he had no idea of all the things done to it that made that bike special. I even offered to buy the bike back from the guy, after the dealer got me in touch with him, as I didn't want the bike treated like a piece of *&%&*. He would not sell it to me. My fault. I will try to not let that happen again.

Miles

I'm kinda surprised that the s 10 is better on dirt than the gs. I agree 100 percent that the smaller cc bike is better off road. My 1150 gs is a great bike until I get into some extreme off road situations then it is way to heavy. I tried to buy a v storm 650 before I bought the gs but the dealer wouldn't come off list price. I have my doubts that the v storm would be very good off road but I think it is a nice medium weight bike.

ive been looking to get into this market. ive researched the bajesus out of the s10, 1200gs,1150gs. but i found an interesting writeup on the tiger xc. ive tried to follow some forum stuff on the weestrom, but, i havnt really found any "real" reviews on them. my riding would be 70/30. i have the blonde, a cr500. the cr just isnt cuttin it. too wild! im tall, 6'4, so i think the wee is out, but the gs has high seat heights. i dunno. input please.....maybe 990 adventure. light, tall, good farkles. cant find a ktm dealer near me.

I agree that it is a surprise to most that the S10 would be better offroad than the GS. The one advantage that the GS has is the best suspension system in the world. The GS suspension is very comfy offroad...to a point. But when riding at speed, and a bit agressively, the S10 does better offroad...in my opinion. I know of a 100 BMW riders that would disagree with my opinion, and that is why my heasd is not buried up BMW's rearend. I like most all brands of bikes, and am not relegated to having a tatoo of only one brand on my butt.

Hey, I loved the R12GS. Very good bike, but I got tired of the weight when offroad. The S10 just feels lighter. As for alternatives, the Triumph Explorer is getting great reviews, and I have looked at them, but...personally...and maybe it is only me...but I will not own an offorad or dualsport bike again that is more than 2 cylinders. Having three or more cyclinders offroad is too whiny for me, and not enough bottomend torque.

But given your height, you may love the Triumph...or the S10...or the GS.

Miles