IGNORED

need some help on fork springs...

robclark63

just tore down my 88 venture forks to replace seals and it seems someone has replaced them with progressive springs because they do not have the stock look...nor do they have all of the yamaha parts after the top fork plug...

when I disassembled the top for plug these springs did not have any spacer, washer or plug between the spring and top cap...

Now I need some senior advice for what to do...

Can I make a spacer and washer...the spring is just riding on the top plug...Thanks everyone in advance.

:fingers-crossed-emo:confused24:

Rob,

Absolutely you can, you can take a small piece of heavy wall PVC pipe (3/4 or 1" will work) and cut 2 pieces at 3/4 to an inch long, depending on how much spring pressure you want in the forks and a washer to size and install them in. If you have any questions my # is in my profile and I can walk you right through it.

Sounds awesome...I thought that is what could be done. Thanks a ton...with those springs does that change the amount of oil i put in??

Yeah it does Rob, with the springs out and the forks completely collapsed, the oil level needs to be 5 1/2" from the top of the tube. I usually just take a combination square and adjust it to the 5 1/2" mark and when the fluid just touches the end of the square I'm good.

I have almost always cut the spacers at 3/4 of an inch with good results. I am going to try and cut a set at 1" on my '86 to see the difference in the ride.

Squidley ( and those that 'could' cap the tubes with a 1" extra spacer), I have to hand it to ya for even attempting the thought. I don't have enough sand in my pockets! It was an outright tussle to get the cap down on the 1/2" but then it leaned so far over on the sidestand that I had to 'jerk it' to get her upright when seated... very uncomfortable feelng. But them at 120 pounds I doubt I need THAT much preload anyway and she rides real nice without one.

Here are the directions from Progressive for the install of their springs. Maybe this will help you along.

But, I'm going to throw this in the pile. The oil being 5.5 inches from the top of the tubes, with the forks collasped, without the springs is a guideline, not a rule you have to live by.

The 5.5" will work fine but there has been a lot of comments on the stiffness of the springs when first installed. Sounds like you are probably past that point.

I've had my Progressives in for several years and have played with different preloads and oil weights, 5 & 10 wt. and oil levels in the forks. The 5.5" is pretty much the max level because of the porting in the inner tube for the air system. Any level higher than that might allow oil into the air collars and into the air lines. Makes a mess to clean out and can effect the operation of the C.L.A.S.S. system. Been into that myself. As mentioned in the instructions also that the forks can still operate properly and safely at lower levels.

Currently I'm running mine at 6.5" below the top. I feel I've gained a bit of softer ride due to the added air in the forks. Air will compress, oil... not so much.

I bought a Foil Oil tool from MotionPro and makes adustments, higher or lower much simpler to do on the bike without the mess. Set the gauge for the depth up want and add or subtract with the plunger. Not needed. but real handy if you do a lot of forks.

But that's just my thoughts on it. It works for me.

Mike

I would like to say THANKS to everyone that posted up information!! I cut the spacers to 1 inch and threw a washer in the mix. I put 10 W oil in to approximately 5.5 inches down and everything reassembled very nicely.

Thanks to Freebirds post in the archives it made the job that much easier:)

I even got out tonight and ran 50 miles and everything was that much better...I hope it all stays that way.

Thanks again and have a great Sunday.:cool10: