IGNORED

bled the clutch

i bled the clutch 2 months ago then again 1 month ago because the fluid was murky brown i thought maybe i didnt get all of the old break fluid out so i bled it again untill i got clear fluid dumped the old fluid and bed them again since i had clear fluid coming out i kept adding clear fluid until i went through the whole big bottle to make sure i flushed it good. i just took the cover off and the fluid looks like i never changed it any ideas what could be yes it has i think to be the original hoses

Altrhoug the clutch pumps a finite amount of reservoir fluid into the line to activate the clutch, the fluid doesn't go very far, so I would think any contamination was coming from inside the piston area or the immediate hose off the reservoir. Have you pulled the guts of the master and insured a healthy condition?

You could also pull the hose there, at both ends, run a length of line down it and tie a small cloth in the middle to act as a scrubber for the inner walls. (compressed air wil blow the line through or tie one end to a small nail and let gravity do the job.)

i guess i wanted confirmation on what i thought it might be which is all of the above slave is leaking about 2 drops a day not a big loss old lines and seals the line looks great on the outside no rot or cracking i will take apart and clean blow air through it wont know about the slave till i get it off but ordering a new one next month so i will keep flushing fresh fluid for now

Hey Paul,

With brake fluid being hygroscopic, (it draws water to itself) the fluid is actually pulling the moisture into the clutch slave thru the leaking seal. The reason the fluid turns brown is because the moisture boils when the clutch lever is engaged, and the result is carbon deposits which turn the fluid brown. Another substance that has carbon deposits in it is called "lapping compound". It is VERY abrasive, as is the brown brake fluid. The slave is toast! You will continue to fight this loosing battle until the contaminated fluid takes out the Master Cylinder completely, or finishes off the slave. If I were going to change out the slave, I would also rebuild the master cylinder as well.

I personally bleed my brakes and clutch lines yearly, because a bottle of brake fluid is a LOT cheaper than a clutch slave, or master cylinder. Just my thoughts, for what they are worth.:confused24:

Earl