IGNORED

inputs on the venture's, likes and do not likes

gamberch

hey everyone I am looking for a new bike for next summer and the venture is really looking good from all of the research I have done on this bike. I am thinking about getting one between 06-08. Can you guys put in some inputs on the bike. EXAMPLES: Like is it smoothing riding. Plenty of power for 2 people. how well it steers. Does it have high rpms at highway speed like 75mph. Stuff like that, And things you like about the bike and things you don't like about the bike. Thanks

I have a 2008 Venture. It is super comfortable for both rider and passenger. I have a 32 inch in-seam, and leg position is excellent. Some put on highway pegs. I do not see the need. I have ridden two up (total 400+ lbs) plus full luggage, and the bike handles beautifully, pulling up even the steepest highway hills at 70+ mph in 5th gear. With stock pipes, it is certainly not loud. At highway speeds, I can still hear my tunes on the headset in my open-face helmet. I rode a Honda ST1100 before the Venture. The Venture is not quite as nimble through the twisties, but it's still fun, and can hold its own with anything in its class. The unit between the seat and the handlebars can make a big difference here.

It is a large, heavy bike, so it takes PRACTICE to become adept at slow speeds in the parking lot and on those pesky U-turns.

I love mine!

I had an '06 Midnight for 3 years.

Looks and style

Comfort

Power

Customizability

Support from all the members here

Warranty

DISLIKES:

Handling (can be greatly improved with leveling links)

Clutch Basket Whine

Black is a b***ch to keep clean LOL

(but I love the black)

Why did I get a Wing?

Trailer towing ability

Additional power

Superior Handling

I love mine, people do a bunch of complaining about a few things it doesn't have and it does handle a little tough at parking lot speeds. They seem to want to complain about it having a cassette deck and I am not sure why. The cassette is hidden and doesn't harm anything. One thing it doesn't have if you buy a brand new one is the $26,000 price tag that the bikes that have a cd player and anti lock brakes have. They are dependable and will run forever. I had a Goldwing and it was a great bike but I love my Venture more and is more comfortable.

I agree with every-ones opinions posted here about the Venture!!

I just bought a 2012 also BLACK and it is a great bike!!Keeping clean is a pain!

Mine cost around $20,000 can and the Harley of same comparison value would have cost $30,000+++++++.

Has no problem towing my homemade trailer with wife aboard.

Doesn't really take that long to get used to bike but does depend on experience!

Just my opinion! Good luch with YOUR choice

after all is said and done it IS YOUR CHOICE!

It does have that pesky cassette, but just plug in an mp3 player and install a ram mount and that takes care of that. Low speed handling sucks. I switched tires to E3's (130) in the front and dropped the front 3/4" by pushing the fork tubes up in the triple tree. Handles like a dream. No issues. Comfort level is VERY high. I did 1065 miles in 19 3/4 hours this summer. No problem. Just put 1700 miles on last week running the Dragon and other roads down into Georgia. Customize it to make it your own and never look back.

Guest scarylarry

My 09 has had very few issues, rear valve cover gasket leak."warranty" front head light burn out simple fix...

All and all I'm very happy with mine runs great on the interstate, I would not even consider a new one though since the price has increase so much...

I have a Kaw Voyager and I can say the rear seat is not as comfortable for the rider and when you add a back rest it makes it worst, but a great solo bike or a very small frame person for the rear...

The next bike I will own will be Victory they also come with a 5 yr warranty but you will be hard press to find a late model use one, they are out there but not as plenty as a RSV or other brands but then again they haven't been around as long...

Guest scarylarry

I believe the engine is the same and yes there different seats the late models I think 07 up came with a pillow top seat and you will know the difference quick or I did...

If you get a older model be sure you know the history on it as when and was the valves done and bewary of real low mileage ones, they tend to have carb issues if they have not been ran much or gas was treated..

All come with a cass player though.......Yippp Yeeeee

No difference at all expect for the colors. Even as far back as the introduction in 1999. They changed the antenna design after the first year and there have been two or three different seats and that's it.

Well there is a bit of a power difference from the early intro models isn't there? I believe they detuned the engine a bit the first two years then increased power by 2002. or was the the First royal star?:confused24:

No difference at all expect for the colors. Even as far back as the introduction in 1999. They changed the antenna design after the first year and there have been two or three different seats and that's it.

Are you guys able to install a newer pillow top seat from 07 and up ventures on a older second gen models.

Well there is a bit of a power difference from the early intro models isn't there? I believe they detuned the engine a bit the first two years then increased power by 2002. or was the the First royal star?:confused24:

No power difference from 1999 til present. The older Royal Stars did have less HP.

Are you guys able to install a newer pillow top seat from 07 and up ventures on a older second gen models.

Yes, they mount exactly the same.

I have an 03 Midnight Venture with 130,000 miles on it and have been coast to coast pulling a trailer.... It's the best "Geezer Glide" out there... I have owned GWs and Harleys and the RSV is the best bike I've owned... All I've ever done to the motor is adjust the valves at 50,000 miles and I had a coil go bad in Texas... It always seems to be the right rear coil that goes... The replacement was back ordered so the Ind. Bike shop I went to put in a used V-Star coil and it's still in there... been about 5 years now....

I had the rear shock and ignition changed under warranty just before it ran out...

Clutch... I feel the clutch is weak by design... Some guys use the stock pressure plate with a stiffer than stock spring and add a 1/2 plate or something like that to upgrade it... I spent a few extra bucks and upgraded to a Barnett pressure plate which is like an automotive pressure plate with 6 springs... It has a little harder pull on the lever but you don't even notice it after a week... I think it was money well spent after 80,000 trouble free miles... The stock clutch was slipping in 3rd under full acceleration when I got it in 05 with only 10,000 miles on it... I don't know if it was abused or not but some here have had slippage on low mileage bikes...

The Stator... The factory stator is barely adequate to run the bike with lame-ass 30 watt sealed beam passing lamps... if you want to run better lights and some other accessories and/or heated gear you will want to upgrade the stator to an aftermarket higher output stator... I'm on my 3rd stator... I run 55 watt H3 passing lamps to give me a fighting chance with critters at night here in Maine and elsewhere....

Tires... Most RSVs seem to come with Bridgestones which just about everybody agrees are junk... I didn't know how bad the 'Stones were until I switched to Dunlop 404s... I LIKED the 404s when they were $60 - $70... They handle well and were cheap... Some here will bash the 404s and love Avons... I did not like the Avons on wet roads and heard too many horror stories about Metzlers on RSVs... They were my favorite tires before my RSV... Now I run what I call the high millage combo... A Kumho 165/80- 15 car tire on the rear and a Dunlop 404 REAR MC tire on front... Rear tire on front requires you to mount it opposite the arrow... This combo gives me about 20,000 miles between tire changes... I'm on my 3rd Car tire and will get another when this one wears out... It's a heavy bike and eats up tires pretty fast...

I don't have ANY problems with slow speed handling like some have mentioned... But I'm a big guy and have been riding for over 40 years... I tried the optional smaller front tire but didn't like it... felt like I had to do more correcting in the curves than with the stock sized tire...

well that's my 2 cents worth... Some will disagree with my assessments but it's MY story and I'm sticking to it....

• 3 weeks later...
The more I ride it the more I like it.

Mike

+100 on that.

Smooth ride and more than enough power for my riding needs.

Dislikes: Not enough LED light accessories available out there.

Guest tx2sturgis

Has no problem towing my homemade trailer with wife aboard.

I've seen a picture of a little old lady riding in a chair on a trailer behind a bike...sure wish I could come up with a link to it.

:doh: