IGNORED

What are the weak links

Hi, I am a newbie and hope you can help me with a question. I am looking to buy a 2007 Venture and would like to know the problem areas and what to look for when I go to buy it. I have owned more Yamahas than any others and know their dependabilty, but every bike has their weak points.

Thanks in advanvce!

The biggest problem you will find with a 2007 is that they are not a 1st Gen!:stickpoke:

Beyond that I think there was a recall on them .....something about the heads not properly tightened at the factory????????:confused24:

Welcome to the site! I'm sure someone who actually knows what they are talking about will chime in!

Most things can be fixed...but not the fact that it's not a 1st Gen!

Trader is correct. The 2007 model was the only one affected and it had to do with the head bolts not being tightened properly. You should verify if it has been taken in for the recall. Otherwise, there is not much that is too bad. Check the rear shock and try to determine if there are any leaks. That is a known problem for most all years. Some complain of a loud gearbox whine. All have some whine due to the design of the straight cut gears but some have a whine that some find intolerable. Otherwise, they are pretty much bullet proof bikes.

The RSV is a pretty solid bike. I don't know that they have any real weak spots. That said there are a couple of things to look for. Some have had excessive noise issues, whine, from the gear train. Some have had issues with the audio system. make sure this is working. Some 2007 models had coolant seepage due to loose head bolts. Should be cured by now but look for signs anyway. Then just watch for all the normal stuff on a used bike.

Welcome to the forum. The Venture is a great bike and you will enjoy it.

Mike

If you go to Forum/Second Gen and Royal Star Technical Library - READ ONLY!

you'll see "Known problems and things to look for". There you'll see "A list of known problems on the Second Gen Venture "

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1067

Never mind the comments from the aged 1st genner's.... the list of problems is far more extensive than those for 2nd gen's.:rasberry:

The biggest problem you will find with a 2007 is that they are not a 1st Gen!:stickpoke:

Beyond that I think there was a recall on them .....something about the heads not properly tightened at the factory????????:confused24:

Welcome to the site! I'm sure someone who actually knows what they are talking about will chime in!

Most things can be fixed...but not the fact that it's not a 1st Gen!

Heads not torqued right? That ain't good! Maybe I should be looking for a 1st Gen!

Trader is correct. The 2007 model was the only one affected and it had to do with the head bolts not being tightened properly. You should verify if it has been taken in for the recall. Otherwise, there is not much that is too bad. Check the rear shock and try to determine if there are any leaks. That is a known problem for most all years. Some complain of a loud gearbox whine. All have some whine due to the design of the straight cut gears but some have a whine that some find intolerable. Otherwise, they are pretty much bullet proof bikes.

Thanks for the heads up and will check about the recall. Glad to know about shocks but how to check them? I never had air shocks. The whine shouldn't be any louder than a GW .

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up and will check about the recall. Glad to know about shocks but how to check them? I never had air shocks. The whine shouldn't be any louder than a GW .

Thanks

Do NOT buy the bike without test riding it, and do not just dismiss the possibility of the engine noise problem - as stated earlier, SOME of these bikes have such a loud scream that the owners never quit wailing about it! I personally believe that many of the fairly recent low-mileage bikes that are being re-sold may be specifically because of a loud engine whine. So ride it and know for sure if you find that particular bike objectionable to you.

The recall only affected the early 2007 production run - just have any Yamaha shop check the serial number to see if it is included - if it is, they should also have a record of if the service bulletin was ever performed for that bike.

The shock is either good or bad - no in between. The problem is never the air - even bad shocks still hold air just fine. The problem is loss of the damping oil. The check is to simply get down on the ground and inspect the bottom shock mount - it should be 100% TOTALLY dry. This means NO old oily dirt layers or anything - dry road dirt is fine, of course, but NO crusty oily covering on the shock mounts or bottom of of the boot.

There are a couple of vent lines near the shock on the left side, but they NEVER get any oil residue on the shock, so do not let anyone BS you on that - if there is ANY SIGN OF OIL on the bottom of the shock, you are looking at about a $700 repair.

Very common for the clutch on this bike to start slipping by 40,000 miles - not a problem at all, and not an abused bike. The fix is simply an $80 upgraded spring from PCW Racing - takes only 30 minutes and no skill at all to replace it.

Most scheduled maintenance on this bike is not too bad, but the valves are supposed to be adjusted at 27,700 miles, and that is a BIG job - typically about $600. So if the miles are anything over 27,000, ask for proof that it has been done or use it to knock off more $$ from the selling price.

Lastly, make sure the bike does NOT have Brickstone tires on it - you will find lots about that here in older posts, but suffice it to say it will handle like a fat pig on three legs at low speed with the stock Brickstone tires. The fix is simply any other tire.

There is a lot more that we could tell you, but nothing to worry about when looking to buy one. Good luck,

Goose

V7 Goose and others, this is all great information! It does seem like I see more 07s for sale than others. Yes I always test ride one before I buy one. I'll sure check the shocks and the valve adjustments. 27,700 is a long time between adjustments which is a good thing! I've always done them myself but it must be a big job to pay $600!

It's amazing that it don't like Brickstones! lol. I am running them on both my bikes now with 200 battleax on the rears and handle like a dream and I've gotten longer wear than others I've tried.

Thanks guys! :)

Dare I say it...cassette player!!!:starz:

Haha, Yeah that blows my mind!! I looked at a new one at the dealers and couldn't help but chuckle and said 'do they still make cassette tapes?" lol And what's up with the carbs?? 2012 and carbs- no FI? I don't understand that- even Harleys had it as early as 1999 and I think they most all are FI. My local dealer thinks a lot of them cause they sure ain't cheap! :shock3: