IGNORED

1996 Royal Star Carbs what years can swap

Hello Im completly new at this here street bike experience, I bought a 1996 Royal star. Not Realising that two of the carbs had striped fuel mixture screws holes, now Im searching and looking around on Ebay and so on for a used set of carbs. New each carb at Yamaha is almost $600 I cant not aford that at all. Im hoping that you guys might be able to tell me what years and models may be swaped onto my bike. I tried the local Yaamaha Dealers and the are not helpfull at all, they dont want to share part #s so I may compare and try to figure out what might swap. Thanks for your attention...:depressed:

http://www.yamahapartsmonster.com/p/Yamaha-Cruiser-Parts#/Yamaha/ROYAL_STAR_TOUR_CLASSIC_-_XVZ13ATL_-_1999/FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER_2/XVZ13ATL_(1999_MOTORCYCLE)/FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER_2_(XVZ13ATL_-_1999)

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/home.aspx

here are 2 links you can check and compare prices that will be a start good luck with your search and others will chime in with a lot more knowledge than i have

also welcome to the site you cant ask for a better group of people to pick their brains as this place is full of knowledge on these bike i know its the best 12 bucks i ever spent good luck and welcome aboard

well i can tell you that all 96-2001 28mm carbs will work on your bike. as it happen i have a couple of set of 28mm carb and i have reworked a couple of set for guys needing. right now i just swap for a set that suppose to be in great shape andpaul is waiting to get his hand on them for his bike but if you can send me $300.00, i'll let you have them right now!!! LOL!! just kidding paul!!. i haven't had any time yet to go thru these yet but brad said he cleaned them up and put them in a ziploc bag. he didn't remember what jets are in them, so i'm needing to look into that, if they have been up-jetted may need to open up your airbox or i can put the oem jets back in. i think you would like the up-jetted as they give a little more power to the motor. joe, you can spray a lot of wd40 or rust buster on your screws and work them in and out till they get loosen up to work. there's a guy on delphiforums.com "royal star v-4 rocks" that has gotten stuck screws out of carbs, if you need to go that route. i'll try to help you out if possible on your carbs as i get time, just let me know, don.

starting in 1996 yamaha came out with the royal star, 1300cc motor,4-cyls, 4- 28mm carbs, single spring valves, 4th and 5th gears are higher ratio speed gears or overdrives. they made these bike till 2001. in 1999 yamaha took the 1300cc motor put a counter-balancer, larger cams, double valve springs, 4- 32mm carbs and put it into the venture touring bike, called it a royal star venture. in late 2004 they put the new venture motor into the royal star tour deluxe for 2005. they quit making the tour deluxe and keep saying they're going to redo their touring bike but hasn't done anything yet. the 1996- 2001 royal stars has about 76hp and the 99-present venture and td has 98hp. lot of us who's got the 96-01 royal stars has done a few mods on them to bring more power to these motors.

Here is a heckuva deal on a set of 28mm carbs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-Yamaha-XVZ-1300-LT-Royal-Star-Deluxe-Carburetors-H12-/400325027175?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d353b2567

As I understand it, the 28mm carbs have chrome metal diaphragm covers and the 32mm have black plastic covers. Someone correct me, if I'm wrong.

Thanks on that ebay post, I did see it. But again Im confused about if my is a 28mm or 32mm. I do remeber seen the crome/metal cover on carbs. Like I mentioned earlier my Local Yamaha dealers out here in Vegas are terible to share part numbers. Thanks I will look into this carb, its a great deal. Thanks again...

Joe

Your bike came out of the factory with 28mm carbs.

That does not mean that some previous owner could not have swapped the carbs out to 32mm from a Venture, but it would require some sort of adapter plate to make them mount up. By comparing the parts diagrams avaialabe on line to what you have, you should be able to tell pretty quickly if someone has added an adapter plate the convert to 32 mm carbs.

If you are certian that the carbs have not been swapped out then you have 28mm carbs.

I hope this helps to clear up your confusion.

Thanks guys for all your imput... it looks like my bike has the 28mm acording to the crome/metal covers on the side, my bike does not apear to have a adapter on it. Just to make sure Im goin to take the carbs of the bike. I guess I could measure the opening of the intake to see what size it is. (28mm/32mm) Thanks again, I will keep you posted on the progress.

Ok the carbs have been deliever to my house. I have a 1996 RSTD with a 1300 with 28mm carbs, the the set that I bought in ebay are of 1998 royal star lt H12?!?!?!....(also 28mm)

The first and main thing I have noticed is thay the 1998s have some wires/sensor/relay looking things on the carbs that my 1996 carb dont have. My carbs have the wholes but are caped/not used(looks factory). Can I asumed the 1998 are a fancier model and the housing on carbs are the same, I dont need to worry about does wires on the 1998 carbs I picked up on Ebay. :fingers-crossed-emo

Maybe the wires are for the throttle position sensor .... You can probably simply leave them tied back and disconnected if your ignition relies on vacuum instead.

I don't know these bikes so I am guessing, others may have a better idea.

The other possibility is that they are for heaters. Again you could probably ignore them .... or find out how they work and upgrade.

those are the carb heater, they put them on some models all differant years. really don't need them unless you are riding in cold weather. it a little heater that heat the carb and gas up to help starting the bike when cold. if you have to choke your for several minutes to keep it running they will help out. most just need to choke a minute to keep it running.

• 3 months later...