IGNORED

New to Trike...questions.........

DragonRider

I just got my trike, never rode one for any extended distance, I find the ride a little harsh, so I have a couple of questions. First a little info about my trike, It is a 93 Venture Royale, with a Motor Trike kit installed by the factory in 99. One of the previous owners added air bags that are hooked up to the class system. It also has progressive air shocks. How much air should I run in them and what air pressures do you reccomend in the tires. Mine are radials, and right now they have 20 lbs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lewis - 20lbs in the rear is just fine. I have a friend that runs 18 - so you can start with the rear tire pressure and start finding the sweet spot with your air bags.

Maybe a place to start would be to let enough air out to allow the bike to 'squat' just slightly when you get on. That'll be too little air but a good starting point.

It'll change when you go 2 up - and of course how much make up is in your tour box

oooops - did I say make up ??

No make up in there yet.........but I imagine there will soon be. I have already found 1 thing I dont care for on this trike, the foot position is different than my 83 and since these are not adjustable like the ones on my 83, I am stuck with it............guess I will have to use the highway pegs. Second is the driver backrest, when Charlene rides with me it will have to come off, but that the same on the 83, unless I can relocate the box a couple of inches. I am still finding things on the bike, I found an extra key wired to the frame when I removed one of the side covers........side covers have broken tabs, thats an easy fix. The air bags are hooked up to the Class system, thats good. Like you said, got to find the sweet spot between the tires, air shocks and the air bags...........But its all good, I am getting plenty of compliments on it and even had an offer to buy it by one of my coworkers, when I am ready to sell it. He is a new Harley rider.............but originally wanted a trike, just too much money, so he bought a new Ultra Glide instead.........go figure.

So how are you liking your new maxxed out trike.........I love the pinstripes that Jaybird did. I might add some one day.

Lewis - 20lbs in the rear is just fine. I have a friend that runs 18 - so you can start with the rear tire pressure and start finding the sweet spot with your air bags.

Maybe a place to start would be to let enough air out to allow the bike to 'squat' just slightly when you get on. That'll be too little air but a good starting point.

It'll change when you go 2 up - and of course how much make up is in your tour box

oooops - did I say make up ??

Air shocks and air bags is a little over kill. I have a 99 rsv with motortrike with sring over progressives and air bags. I have the spring overs set stiff and run about 30 psi in the bags. combined wgt for wife and I is around 470lbs. If I were you I would run very little to no air in the shocks and play with the air bag till you find the sweet spot. Trikes ride a little on the harsh side no matter what you do with the suspention. You'll get use to it.

Like was said. start with 20 psi in the tires , let some air out of the bags and then find what you like in settings for the air system. Im only using about 10-12 psi in my air bags but then I have a heavy rated Works shock along with them. Prior to the Works shock I ran 20-30 psi in the air bags.

You want just enough for a smooth ride yet not bottom out on bumps and for sure that'll change two up and whatever other load you're carrying. :080402gudl_prv:

Larry

well take your time with it. and remember ( as if you need reminding) that this is a whole new skill set. A trike is a trike and so now you'll be learning so many new things but once you do the riding experience will be great. i had a sidecar for many years to cart my kids around . it was different but fun in its own right. Enjoy the new world...:thumbsup2: