IGNORED

Front suspension bottoms out on 87VR

So I finally got my class fixed(thank you to everyone for your help), and my front forks still dive and bottom out when I hit the brakes. I can see the forks raise and lower when I use the compressor. I rode it at 21 lbs and over little bumps and when I brake it dives down and clunks, what I assume is bottoming out. Anyone know what I should check? I just bought the bike and don't know any history of it, so I can only assume that everything is original.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

21 lbs of air in the front is the max. the manual calls for so if you are still bottoming out your springs are probably shot.

A set of progressive springs will probably help that. Next to tires, progressive springs are probably the single best thing you can do to improve your handling too.

a super brace helps handling but won't do anything about bottoming out.

I'd strongly recommend Skydoc for most parts you need.

I got Progressives from him and they included very easy to follow step by step instructions

Not only decent prices but he's usually ready willing and VERY able to help out with any technical info.

:thumbsup:

I agree with everyone that your 25 year old springs are probably toast! You may have a secondary problem though, since you state bottoming out when stopping. The bike is equipped with an anti dive system that activates when the brakes are applied. They are electric solenoids on the bottom of the forks and energize thru a relay and use the brake light line to energize the relay. You may have a bad relay. To test, simply disconnect the black and white wires at the connector and check for 12 volts on the connector coming from the bike when you squeeze the brake lever.

Some members disable the anti dive for some reason or other claiming it robs power from the electrical system or some other reason, but myself I like them as they do dampen the hydraulic part of the shocks and stiffen up the front suspension when the brakes are applied to minimize front end dive. You will notice with new springs, especially progressive brand, that the suspension is a lot stiffer already but myself, I prefer a stiffer suspension when I apply the brakes so I kept mine enabled...

I had the same problem on my 83, Took the front springs out and they were consiiderably shorter than the minmum length. Put in a set of progressives and problem fixed, I never ran any air in the front after that. Sure inproved the handling, and no more dive at a stop sign

Progressive Springs, New Oil, ( the correct amount ) about 1 1/2 oz. less then OEM with the progressive springs.

Do the anti dive voltage check.

Also, pull off the Anti dive units, and clean the parts, just in case the oil flow thru the anti dive valves, might be plugged.

You might have to replace the O-Rings on the two anti dive units.

After work all done, you should be able to run with No Air Pressure in the forks.

Thanks for all the replies and help. So, I've got my springs ordered from skydoc. I'll be putting them in as soon as I get them. There is no signs of oil leaking from the seals. Hopefully there is some oil in there. I don't plan on changing them if I don't have to. I tested the anti dives and they are getting power. I'll pull them of when I do the springs and clean them up. Why are some disconnecting them? The oil will drain out when I pull the anti dives, right? What type of oil should I put back in?

Any other tips for changing the springs?

Blackhawk , my new to me 87 has been doing the same thing.( Diving hard in a stop) and dropping a little. I was wondering if the springs could be bad because the bike only has 35k on the clock.

So my question, With such low mileage can the springs be bad? If so I have a set of Progressives in my 85 in the garage I'll just change them over. but do I need to?:detective::confused24:

Blackhawk , my new to me 87 has been doing the same thing.( Diving hard in a stop) and dropping a little. I was wondering if the springs could be bad because the bike only has 35k on the clock.

So my question, With such low mileage can the springs be bad? If so I have a set of Progressives in my 85 in the garage I'll just change them over. but do I need to?:detective::confused24:

The springs do not die from mileage alone, they also die of old age. Those springs have been holding the weight of the bike up for 25 years now. Whether it was ridden or not the springs are still working to hold up the weight.

The springs do not die from mileage alone, they also die of old age. Those springs have been holding the weight of the bike up for 25 years now. Whether it was ridden or not the springs are still working to hold up the weight.

My 84 needed them & she JUST turned 15K. The old girl sat in a lonely garage for YEARS!

Alright, I'm getting frustrated here, I had the springs rushed to me, installed them, without the PVC spacers as recommended to start, only using 2 washers on each side. I put in oil to around 5 3/4 inches from the top of the fork. It still bottomed out. I disconnected the antidives to see if that changed anything, it did not. So I took it back apart and was going to cut one PVC spacer in half. The cut did not go so well, so I put 10 washers in each side, which is about the size of half the PVC spacer. And, it still bottoms out. I gave up for the night. Should I add more preload? Any other ideas what could be going on here?

I agree with everyone that your 25 year old springs are probably toast! You may have a secondary problem though, since you state bottoming out when stopping. The bike is equipped with an anti dive system that activates when the brakes are applied. They are electric solenoids on the bottom of the forks and energize thru a relay and use the brake light line to energize the relay. You may have a bad relay. To test, simply disconnect the black and white wires at the connector and check for 12 volts on the connector coming from the bike when you squeeze the brake lever.

Some members disable the anti dive for some reason or other claiming it robs power from the electrical system or some other reason, but myself I like them as they do dampen the hydraulic part of the shocks and stiffen up the front suspension when the brakes are applied to minimize front end dive. You will notice with new springs, especially progressive brand, that the suspension is a lot stiffer already but myself, I prefer a stiffer suspension when I apply the brakes so I kept mine enabled...

The anti-dive is completely unnecessary with Progressive springs. It only works on the last bit of fork travel anyway, right where the springs are at their hardest setting, and if the front is set up right it's just junk metal .... unsprung, so get rid of it :) Unsprung weight is no friend of decent steering and the VR already has too much ... every little you can lose helps.

I ride mine pretty hard, a long way and carrying a decent load. Never had a problem with the front diving excessively ... the rear is a different story.

The original Yamaha rear shock is probably past it's sell-by date and I would replace that with a progressive shock too, but there are about 400 reasons why I can't.

In the meantime, it does okay with the damper on 3 and about 45lbs air pressure. If I let the air go, or forget to check it there are times when it will bottom out over bumps.

So I've come to think this is the way the bike is. It is now pretty stiff when I'm riding, but if I slam on the brakes, it dives, more than any bike I've had before. But, as this is a new bike to me, it must be the way it is. When I'm going slow and slam on the brakes, it dives and bottoms out. It no longer bottoms out when I'm riding, like it did before the new springs. I think I'm going to take out some of the spacers I put in and hopefully get a smoother ride. Hopefully it doesn't cause a problem if I have to stop quick and it bottoms out.

So I've come to think this is the way the bike is. It is now pretty stiff when I'm riding, but if I slam on the brakes, it dives, more than any bike I've had before. But, as this is a new bike to me, it must be the way it is. When I'm going slow and slam on the brakes, it dives and bottoms out. It no longer bottoms out when I'm riding, like it did before the new springs. I think I'm going to take out some of the spacers I put in and hopefully get a smoother ride. Hopefully it doesn't cause a problem if I have to stop quick and it bottoms out.

If you put progressive springs in, and spaced them too much, it will be stiff at the front. It should NOT bottom out under braking.

Reducing the spacers will soften the ride.

It will dive a bit because you are stopping 800 pounds plus you and whatever you are carrying ... but my front suspension has never bottomed out yet ... The rear can over harsh bumps but I think I've fixed that by upping the air a bit.

Comparing my 84 VR to my 81 Honda CB750 the VR feels harsher than the Honda. That's why I installed progressives. It's not as smooth or soft, actually its a bit bumpy when you hit potholes. It kinda feels like a car with airshocks. When I brake, even hard I get no massive dive. Actually its quite smooth. Does this happen when you use both the hand & footbrake? Is it possible that you may only be stopping with your front brakes?

The bottoming out can it be the fairing making noise?

In comparison to all my other bikes, I expected the VR to ride like an old time Cadillac (soft & squishy) But it actually rides harsher like an old 60's Camaro with stiff suspension

Hey Aaron,

I was hoping that you would call again after your ride, but this will do. Drain the 10 wt. oil from the forks, and go to the 15 wt. oil. Remove the spacing washers from the fork tops and start over. As I mentioned, there is a fine tuning process with these progressive springs. Be patient, it will work out. Don't be afraid to use your cell phone. Many members have me on "speed dial"!:crackup:Think of how proud you will be when you finally get this sorted out.

Earl