IGNORED

New noise to diagnose

I'm a little surprised as the bike has been so solid but what sounds like a serious noise has begun on my 86.

While at cruising speed, if I lean in to a turn (either direction) I hear a howling noise that stops as soon as I straighten up. (rear wheel bearings ???)

More recently I noticed that when coasting to a stop with the clutch lever in, I hear what actually sounds like gear mesh noise.

I have also noticed that as the bike slows down, I feel and hear a vibration at around 15 mph.

I am thinking rear wheel bearings or u joints?

I had all of the sounds you described, a new set of E3 tires made them all go away.

But then I knew my tires needed replacing. front was showing weather cracking and was worn to almost the wear bars and the rear was 8 years old. So I did tires first and checked all of the bearings while it was apart. Bearings were all good.

I'm a little surprised as the bike has been so solid but what sounds like a serious noise has begun on my 86.

While at cruising speed, if I lean in to a turn (either direction) I hear a howling noise that stops as soon as I straighten up. (rear wheel bearings ???)

More recently I noticed that when coasting to a stop with the clutch lever in, I hear what actually sounds like gear mesh noise.

I have also noticed that as the bike slows down, I feel and hear a vibration at around 15 mph.

I am thinking rear wheel bearings or u joints?

Ray,

I'm in the middle of the same thing right now. Do you fee a "buzzing" sensation in the handlebars as well?

In my case it is not the bearing. I did the check by pulling the wheel forward & back then side to side, no movement.

When I too off the wheel I looked at the bearing put my finger in it it spun smoothly. I took it to the Yamaha dealer & he confirmed bearing is perfect, the TIRE on the otherhand even though it had plenty of thread was worn unevenly at the edges where the tire sidewall meet the road threads.

The "line" per say was cupped (for lack of a better word) with little flat spots.

I was going to change my tire anyway since it's 8 years old, but the buzzing & whining on leans got me to do it now. I went with a Kenda Kruz to match the new rear the PO put on last year. I understand the only last 5K mile, so I will replace them both later with Dunlops.

So inspect the tire edges, you'll be surprised how little the imperfection is.