IGNORED

turn signals intermittent

Guest Dave Rogge

Guest Dave Rogge

My '84 VR has turn signals and emergency flashers that work about 1/2 the time. Before I start

tearing things apart, is this a common issue with the self cancelling feature on the signals? When the t/s won't work, neither will the 4-way flashers. The handlebar switch works freely.

Anybody?

Thanks

First thing I would do is spray down the Turn Signal Switch with an electrcal contact cleaner. ( spray can ) Maby use WD-40 first, then contact cleaner.

Possible dirty contacts. OR, open up the switch houseing, the switch itself might be going bad mechanically. ( as it is an old bike )

Next, I would remove and Clean out all of the bulb holders, and replace all 4

bulbs.

Also, Check the " Signal " Fuse holder !!! If the fuse block has never been replaced, the prongs that hold the fuse's in position might be bent, and you might

simply have an intermittant contact, at the " Signal Fuse " itself.

If all this fails to help, you might need to replace the Flasher Unit itself. These units on these bikes do not have a very good reputation. I have heard of a lot of guys had to replace them.

Bad thing here is that they are not cheap. But sombody might have a spare from a salvaged bike,

First thing I would do is spray down the Turn Signal Switch with an electrcal contact cleaner. ( spray can ) Maby use WD-40 first, then contact cleaner.

Possible dirty contacts. OR, open up the switch houseing, the switch itself might be going bad mechanically. ( as it is an old bike )

+1

I never checked my flashers but this is what fixed my turn signals.

• 1 month later...
I found a turn signal relay on ebay for a 1983 venture but can't locate it on the motorcycle. it is round and metal in color. can anyone help?

Behind left front turn signal lens(remove it), down low, sort of under air duct. PIA. Emergency flasher is also here, side by side in rubber straps. I unmounted mine and reattached to top of air duct behind the turn lens.

BTW- the 2 pin flasher you pictured IS the Hazard Flasher. The turn signal is a 3 pin flasher.

The two common elements to T/S and flasher inoperation that I would address are the flasher relay and the emergency flasher switch itself. Behind the right, fron turn signal lens is the emergency flasher switch connection... I would pop it open, check for corrosion or damage and clean as required... you can even check continuity for proper operation of each switch position.

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/flasher.jpg

Mike Brood

(mbrood)

Oceanside, CA

• 4 years later...

sorry to revive an old thread but this may help someone along the way. I went for a ride yesterday and i know the signals were working for the first bit of the ride but then they stopped working. they would work some times and not other times,but the Hazards were working the whole time so i read a few threads about the topic and checked the fuse,removed and cleaned the signal switch with no success. after further inspection i noticed that the harness for the hazard lights was a little corroded, so i cleaned it up and applied some diletric grease and viola, my signals are back and the harness was easily accessed by removing the front right signal assembly