IGNORED

Sidebag top cover strap?

There was a company making a cable deal that would allow the top to hang at the side of the bag.

Don't remember who it was though and don't remember if it has ever been talked about on this forum but I bet it has.

Someone will pop in with the information.

BOO

When I had my 86, I used coated picture wire.

Cut the wire to the desired length (personal choice)

Affix terminal ring connects on both ends of the wires.

Attach wires to one of the bolts holding the latch and to the catch.

The picture wire comes in various diameters and is very flexible. Using the coated wire prevents any abrading on the edge of the case.

Edited by Black Owl

Whatever you use, get it on asap. If I hadn't had wire connectors on my top, I'd of left it by the side of the road half a dozen times already. Just the other day a redneck in a dually ford pickup came up fast in my mirror. I remember thinking what the heck when he pulled upside of me with a gap toothed grin. Then he held out my new Frogg Togg rain gear and I looked down to see the top of my bag dangling by the cables. Right, then who was the one looking stupid. Get em on. They won't stop the stuff from blowing out of your side bags but at least you won't be leaving the tops behind.

Humble in Iowa

Totally agree based on my own experience. I lost a cover on a freeway (was able to go back and find it). Made up some hangers the next day. Initially I used #⃣14 electrical wire but over time, the wire gave way at the connector so I also went to nylon cord like Condor. They really work great and have saved me from losing a lid several times since. They also work well on 1st gens to just hang your lids when you want access to your side bags.

I got this idea from Condor (Jack).

Just used thin nylon rope with wire end connectors

Essentially the same system came on my VR except it uses braided boot laces for the cord. They are a bit of a PITA when it comes to putting the lid back on because the line usually sticks out and has to be tucked in. I was thinking of getting some chain to replace the line as it would more likely collapse onto itself as the lid is being put on.

It was over a year ago that I had the thought and have had it again on numerous occasions since then but still haven't gotten around to making the change. :bang head:

OK, so I constructed retaining lines using small diameter nylon rope and wire ring type terminals, and the project came out successfully. Works great! When closing, the lines seem to relax right down in the saddlebag without any fuss. Thank you all for your suggestions and tips. Now I don't have to compromise where to put the lid when off, as it simply hangs off the side freeing up the seat and cargo rack space.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83,88 Venture

• 3 weeks later...

What a great thread! I always wanted to figure out how to do that but never got around to it. I used a small diameter paracord and the electrical clips like the pictures above except I had to use the yellow connectors because of the diameter of the cord I used. It does work great!

Awsome Idea!! :cool10:

Thanks again!