IGNORED

Parts Question??

I have an 85 that needs the seals on the luggage replaced. Asked at the dealer just for fun but they are discontinued. What are people using to seal the luggage? Where can I find it? Also are they still shpping the carb boots from the above link, $60 for 4??

TX

I don't know about what can be used to replace the seals, but.....you can tighten up the bags somewhat. Move the latches inward a bit. As I remember you have to take the latchtes off (2 screws each) and then enlongate the hoses so they move inward a bit. Or, if you weld you can build up the latch a little so it holds the bag closed tighter.

Frank D.

If you are speaking of the seal/gasket in the aluminum channel around the perimeter of the saddlebags; someone used spline material for window screening. The spline is a vinyl tube with fine exterior ribbing. It is available in different diameters at home centers. Remove the old gasket and push in the new. The tongue part of the opposing aluminum extrusion will compress the spline and form a dry seal.

I'm one of the guys that did the seal with the screen spine material. It works. I did the top trunk a few years ago and it's still water tight. It's a bit of a job digging the old stuff out and pressing in the new seal but it's worth the time to do.

One of these days I'll get around to the saddlebags.

Mike