IGNORED

Considering Juming Ship

Dmnordin

It's killing me to think about doing another engine swap into my 83/86 Venture Frankenbike. And I'm very ticked off to not be riding the rest of the season.

I still may try to get another 86-93ish engine, or another 86-93ish Venture, ride it for a couple more months, and do an engine and plastic swap. But it's stressing the crap out of me.

I've read a LOT of adventure rider riding reports the past 2.5 years, and it really intrigues me to be able to go odd pavement on a lighter bike. I've looked at a new Honda NC700 and a Suzuki 650 Vstrom and I'm approved for either one. My wife isn't on the wagon. I'm more interested in the Vstrom. I may try to look at used Vstroms depending on if I can get financing. I'm very interested in the high gas mileage (65mpg); that would pay for over 50% of the payment (new one), increasing my monthly $ commitments about $100/month, and I wouldn't have to touch it mechanically for a lot of years other than normal maintenance.

Tomorrow I'm going to go to the credit union and see what Kind of financing I can get for different options.

If I do go the adventure rider bike route I will just part out all of my Venture stuff. Sucks that I barely spent almost $200 for a new rear tire. I'm just getting VERY sick of life's curve balls.

Doug

If you never try you'll never know. Right now interest rates are farely low. I kinda did the same thing, got rid of my rstd for a honda st1300. I've always liked the looks of them. I keep it for about eight or nine months and sold it. I wish I could afford two bikes cause it was a lot of fun, but the wife didn't care for it and my riding buddy got rid of his ride and wanted something we both would enjoy.

Maybe a Kawasaki KLR650?

That would be in my sights.

Tons of accessories and built for many years so used parts are available.

They can be found low mileage for cheap.EXAMPLE: http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/3232629340.html

If I had a better back and could do any off pavement riding(I would LOVE to ride the Trans America Trailway),I would be all over the KLR 650!

Edited by MikeM

Doug the KLR is counter balanced and relatively smooth. You should give Rob Beesely a call from thr TRA website.He has been riding his KLR for years,used to ride it all over until he got his Concours.I would get one in a heart beat but I want Cynthia with me so its trike or ride alone. Just remember just because you ride something else doesnt mean you have to leave us behind too.

I just checked there are 2 pages of KLRs on KSL one in Provo a 2009 for 3500 obo.8K miles.

Edited by Pegasus1300
addition

That's what I was thinking....comfort. I can't imagine any duel purpose bike having the comfort level of the VR, regardless of age.

It sounds like you've had to change an engine before....what are you doing to these bikes? I thought they were relatively bomb proof!

It looks like the klm650 gets between 45 & 55 MPG. MPG is one big thing I want to improve substantially, & the vstrom is supposed to get 65ish MPG. It helps justify the debt side of the equation. I'm not totally sold on the comfort part of my venture. It's pretty good, but I've done a lot of things to mine, and my butt and damaged legs still complain loudly.

My wife doesn't ride with me: arthritis.

Doug

My $.02, Vstrom! Actually it should be whatever bike feels right to you as no two people are alike. Also, new vs used, check the APR's for both. See what your monthly payment would be for both cases. I once looked at a used car and a new car, $12000 used car vs $16000 new car and the new car payment was $1 a month less than the higher APR used car!!!

I had an 08 klr 650 it was fairly smooth fun to ride easy to through around but after 200 miles I wanted off. It would be a great commuter bike but the mileage is only in the mid 40's. I now have a r1150gs bmw and it is awesome I can ride it all day no problem. The bmw is heavy for extreme off roading but I have taken it through some pretty rugged country. Duel sport bike are great if you like the back country but the rsv is still the king of comfort for the long haul.

Doug, there is no doubt in my mind that in the choice betqween a KLR650 and a Vstrom 650...the Vstrom 650 wins out 100% of the time. If you compare those two bikes side by side, there is no comparison.

The Vstrom 650...or WeeStrom...is fuel injected...V-Twin...Dual headlamps...Tubeless tires...and there are 1,314,650 aftermarket accessories made for the 650 Vstrom today.

While the KLR650 has a decent history, and is a overall good bike, it also has engine issues that has plagued the KLR community for many years. As a World Traveler bike, it is very good. But for commuting around this country, the Vstrom 650 kicks the KLR650 butt, all over hill and dale.

Ultimately, it is your decision, and it has to be the bike that fits you best. But...(pssst) I would buy the Vstrom 650 in a heart beat.

The new dual sports are definitely out. Aside from my wife's veto on the debt, I checked into insurance : it wipes out all gas mileage savings.

I. Rode 2 klr650's yesterday. It was fun. Today I'm checking out an 05 vstrom and a 93 venture royal.

The credit union approved me for a signature loan that would be enough. My wife still doesn't want the debt, even for a used bike. Still working on that. I may need to be in the doghouse.

Doug

There are several V Stroms on KSL. Look for the 650.It has plenty of power is smoother gets better mileage and is usually cheaper then the 1000.Tom and Laura Bernard from the SLC chapter each have one and really like them.They went from a Goldwing to the VStroms.

Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness then to get permission ( you didn't hear that from me)

I checked out an awesome 05 tricked out vstrom today I can get for 5000, only, it's going to be 5k too much for my wife. I'm not even going to broach the subject. I also checked out a 93 VR that turned out to be a piece of crap. Makes mine seem like a total dream. So I just went onto ebay and did the Buy it now for a 90 venture 1300 engine in Denver for $1000 shipped. I guess I'll stay a Venture rider and do the big engine swap after all. I need to go to the credit union and finalize a loan tomorrow. This will be my cheapest option.

Doug

Last evening I couldn't get the bikes out of my brain, and I started thinking about getting the engine AND a KLR650. Only, the ones I looked at were about $4grand. So then I looked and found a 2000 & a 2002 KLR for a little over $2000. Today I rode the 2000; 4Kmiles on a nice engine rebuild. My wrists & hands hurt all afternoon from the freeway vibration.

In the meantime, I made an offer on the Vstrom, and the owner (on consignment) called me & was OK with it because they took it off of consignment from me & he talked about selling it directly to me.

I called my wife & we talked for quite a while. Surprised the heck out of me when she finally relented and agreed to let me do the deal for $3800. Of course I made some commitments on the other side of the deal to make it happen.

I'm going to part out my venture.

WooHoo! no more rebuilding Ventures for me!:rotf:(crazed look in my eyes as I laugh my "evil laugh"):cool10:

Doug