IGNORED

Got my 1990 VR home today

Gojira

Got my 1990 Venture home today. It will need some tlc, tires, battery, the normal stuff. It also has a leak at the thermostat housing. Why would this leak?

One of the worst things is the handling. It has a Dunlop CruiseMax on the front, and an Elite on the rear. When coming to a stop, the whole front end shudders like it has an octagonal shaped tire or something. Whole bike feels just generally wobbly and mushy. A cursory inspection reveals a few loose bolts. So I think I'm gonna strip off the bodywork and tighten EVERYTHING. And maybe some solid or urethane motor mounts. Combing through the forums looking for a plan of attack.

Otherwise, I think the Venture and I are going to make lots of memories.

Edited by Gojira

how man miles on this bike ? If high milage, and if it still has the OEM fork springs, then you will have to replace them with the " Progressive Suspension fork Springs "

( about same cost as OEM springs ) ( they are much better )

Also, big handling improvement is to install the " Super Brace " front fork brace it it still has the OEM fork brace installed.

Also, Drain, and replace the front fork fluid, most likley its never been replaced.

Be sure to do a check for " Head Shake " You might have to add some torque to the steering head large nuts.

Also check everything on the rear suspension for correct torque settings.

Also, good idea to dissassemble and clean and lubricate the Suspension parts under the rear Shock absorber.

Welcome to VentureRIders. Here you will find others that can answer almost any question (motorcycle or not) question you have. This is a great place to spend $12.

Your thermostat housing leak could be caused by a couple of things. Before you pull the top half off, notice if the top is completely in the bottom half. If so, I'd replace the O-ring. When I bought my 89, the thermostat housing top half was warped, so I replaced it and the O-ring. It only helped for a little while. My new housing was starting to warp. I looked at how the 2 bolts held it together and decided that I needed to spread the force a little. I made up 2 pieces that hugged as much of the top half ridge as possible. Think of it as oddball shaped washers. I made it out of steel hat was about 1/16" thick. Since then, mine has been dry. Another person on this site made it in 1 piece, but I didn't see much benefit of doing so, so I made it in 2 pieces.

I may have pictures of the brackets I made on my other computer....I'll check

Someplace else to look for loose bolts is: Remove the 2 bolts holding the right footpeg on and you will find bolts under it that hold the frame together. You will also have to remove the brake master cylinder lever to get the footpeg out of the way. Before you do, look at how the dot on the shaft is lined up with the slit in the lever so you get it back on in the correct position. In an early service bulletin, Yammie wanted all of the dealers to check them for tightness at every service.

As for the tires.......Those of us that want them to handle good use Avons.

Frank D.

Edited by frankd

Thanks guys, this gives me a good place to start. Head shake is a good way to put it.

When I bought it, it had a little over 24K miles, but the bottom of the engine looks like more than 24K. Sometimes hard to tell with a bike though.

If I post a pic of the fork brace, maybe you can tell me if it's a super brace?

The thermostat housing bolts are snug, but there's a gap in the middle. Should be easy enough to make a load spreader. Good idea.

With the fork seals, it's not the mileage, it's the age! Those seals are 22 years old! As suggested, rebuild your front forks and install Progressive (brand) springs. The "Superbrace" is an aftermarket product and is roughly twice as thick as the stock brace. The best way to tell is the stock brace is rounded across the top whereas the superbrace is flat across the top.

You may want to check out your front brakes for proper operatrion as well. You may have a piston that is frozen. It is also a good idea to flush the brake system as well...

Welcome aboard!!!

Progressive shocks are a variable rate spring, and it will make your front suspension better than new, stiffens it up a tad so you won't bottom out your springs, especially when stopping hard. You won't need much air if any in the shocks which brings the front end down a little which is desirable on a tall bike like the 1st gen...

Jump over to the First Gen Tech area and you will find a lot of info on the work you need to do. Also, be sure to pull and clean and grease the triple tree fork neck bearings. That made SO much difference in my 89. Also I agree with the front fork brace AND the Progressive springs. They also made a BIG difference. PM me with a regular email address that I can attach word files to and I can send you a bunch of informative instructions you can print off and put in a 3-ring binder. I have collected "how to" threads and made my own repair manual.

Good Luck and welcome !

P.S. Did you know that you have a faster bike than the 2nd Gens have here ? Just a little side info ! :happy65:

Jump over to the First Gen Tech area and you will find a lot of info on the work you need to do. Also, be sure to pull and clean and grease the triple tree fork neck bearings. That made SO much difference in my 89. Also I agree with the front fork brace AND the Progressive springs. They also made a BIG difference. PM me with a regular email address that I can attach word files to and I can send you a bunch of informative instructions you can print off and put in a 3-ring binder. I have collected "how to" threads and made my own repair manual.

Good Luck and welcome !

P.S. Did you know that you have a faster bike than the 2nd Gens have here ? Just a little side info ! :happy65:

:goodpost::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::worthless:

just dont forget the camera :322: :080402gudl_prv:

I just about always have the camera when riding, except to work. :)

I have collected "how to" threads and made my own repair manual.

Sweet! I'll PM you. :cool10:

On the plus side, the bike came with a genuine Yamaha service manual.

We should post a poll on how many 1st Genners vs 2nd Genners there are. I have 2 riders and 2 parts bikes. Yammer Dan has.... I think at last count 457 +/- 10 or 12. The first Genners would answer this week and the slower 2nd Genners would probably show up and answer next week..... :backinmyday:

:rotf::rotfl:

Since we wouldn't want anybody to feel left out, we could have an "other" category for the Hardley and Goldwing wanna-bees.... :rasberry: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :crackup: