IGNORED

HID Light Kit

I've an 08 RSV...and I've read MANY of the HID headlight threads on this board, and have one one "basic" question:

Is the HID Country 35 watt "Motorcyle HID SLIM KIT" a stable kit?

I'm contemplating this configuration:

HID Country 35 Watt HID Slim Kit

9003/H4 Bi-Xenon bulb

6000K Crystal White

Approx $52.00

Is anyone running this setup? Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

I've an 08 RSV...and I've read MANY of the HID headlight threads on this board, and have one one "basic" question:

Is the HID Country 35 watt "Motorcyle HID SLIM KIT" a stable kit?

I'm contemplating this configuration:

HID Country 35 Watt HID Slim Kit

9003/H4 Bi-Xenon bulb

6000K Crystal White

Approx $52.00

Is anyone running this setup? Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

I have had that exact setup for 3 years now, I love it and will never go back to incandescent. I do carry the old halogen bulb as an emergency spare.

Once you go HID you'll never go back to the old bulbs.. (I also carry a spare standard H4 bulb on road trips, just in case) In the past 3 years, never had any issues and just recently upgraded to a 55W HID which is wow, even more impressive. I just got back from another road trip, and when traveling through deer infested areas at night, ended up with a few bikes behind me who were taking advantage of the long reach of the light on my bike.. as soon as a deer was spotted, everyone slowed down and started hitting the horn to spook the deer back into the woods.. a bit funny at the time..

I found it able to punch through thick fog better than regular bulbs as well.. you still end up with that curtain of fog in front of you but the road is much more visible through it..

Do you have to upgrade the charging system when you change over to this set up?

Not at all.. your typical H4 bulb in your bike is a 55/65 low/high beam setup.. installing a 35 or 55w HID doesn't require more power than an OEM bulb.. There are several components to the HIS system, more cables and connectors and a slim ballast but it's typically all easy plug and play.. easy to install.. Depending on where you get it from, it's a single bulb on a piston that pushes and pulls the bulb in and out of the housing to get the high and low beam function. The only thing you have to be careful of is the placement of the ballast as it can get hot, and that you shouldn't flick the high/low beam back and forth repeatedly which might weaken or break the piston mechanism..

Apart from that it's all easy-peasy..

I got a kit off ebay. When I get on the house PC I will look up info. It works great. I would however recomend an on off switch for the HID. As there is alow voltage failsafe on it amd everytime you start bike it goes into this mode and restats light. So it makes the bulb start twice for every time you crank bike.

One of my drivers for swapping over to a HID headlight is to conserve on current (pillion gets cold when we ride in December...may need heated liner).

In my mind, going to a 35 watt HID saves me amps AND still gives me a brighter headlight.

All of other lighting has been converted to LED (running, turn, & brake).

Odd thing is...the prices range from $50 - $200.

How do you choose a "good" HID conversion?

Not at all.. your typical H4 bulb in your bike is a 55/65 low/high beam setup.. installing a 35 or 55w HID doesn't require more power than an OEM bulb.. There are several components to the HIS system, more cables and connectors and a slim ballast but it's typically all easy plug and play.. easy to install.. Depending on where you get it from, it's a single bulb on a piston that pushes and pulls the bulb in and out of the housing to get the high and low beam function. The only thing you have to be careful of is the placement of the ballast as it can get hot, and that you shouldn't flick the high/low beam back and forth repeatedly which might weaken or break the piston mechanism..

Apart from that it's all easy-peasy..

Just how hot will the ballast get? I mounted mine to the inside of the fairing with 2 sided tape. (It's right under my left front turn signal) I haven't lit the lamp yet because I still need to remove my dash, take it apart, and jumper the circuit board. Something I am not looking forward to.

Guest scarylarry
I got a kit off ebay. When I get on the house PC I will look up info. It works great. I would however recomend an on off switch for the HID. As there is alow voltage failsafe on it amd everytime you start bike it goes into this mode and restats light. So it makes the bulb start twice for every time you crank bike.

Maybe I'm to old school but the one I avoid as much as I can is adding switches, I guess that is me...

So If I could get around the adding switch I would do the upgrade and heaven forbid if you mention RELAY in this thread...

Maybe I'm to old school but the one I avoid as much as I can is adding switches, I guess that is me...

So If I could get around the adding switch I would do the upgrade and heaven forbid if you mention RELAY in this thread...

I was just gonna go there.........

I have mine set up with a push button switch and a flashing red LED hooked up thru a RELAY, to remind me that I forgot to turn on the light........

Guest scarylarry
I was just gonna go there.........

I have mine set up with a push button switch and a flashing red LED hooked up thru a RELAY, to remind me that I forgot to turn on the light........

I'm thinking cougar jumps on every relay thread since he is the king of relays...:rotf::rotf:

I think Flyin os the one that hooked me up with a parts list and diagram on how to wire it up. Was pretty easy. The kit I bought had the harness relay and all neede parts. I mounted my ballaset off the frame for the fairing so some air could get around it hopefully.

Alrighty. Got home and looked up the info. Here is the listing for the light I bought. 6000K was suggested as it was the "best" overall light. [ame=http://www.ebay.com/itm/260920721646?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D260920721646%26_rdc%3D1]Look here[/ame]. And if I have to I'll either look up the post or put the directions somewhere for the On/Off switch with warning light. The light works well as it flashes to let you know "hey stupid turn me on".

Just how hot will the ballast get? I mounted mine to the inside of the fairing with 2 sided tape. (It's right under my left front turn signal) I haven't lit the lamp yet because I still need to remove my dash, take it apart, and jumper the circuit board. Something I am not looking forward to.

The first time I installed the ballast I also used double side velcro tape, the space created by the velcro should give adequate heat stand off space but it created enough heat that the tape on the inner fairing softened and it slid off.. So on the second installation I glued small wooden blocks onto the ballast and then velcro that to the inner fairing and it's held solidly ever since.. just use a good heat resistant glue.. I believe I used Gorilla Glue for that application and its worked out fine.

There's actually a circuit setup you can install on the bike that won't deliver power to the headlight until the engine is actually running after startup, which actually gives you a bit more cranking amps at startup since the headlight isn't on when you turn the key.. I don't have this on my bike at the moment but plan to rig it this winter.. a lot safer than risking forgetting to turn on your headlights via switch..

I don't have the schematics for this set up at hand but can hunt it down and post it if someone wants to have a look at it..

Cheers

Mine came with a couple of metal tab like brackets. I used them and mounted it to a bolt for the radio equip. That way it has air flow around it. Oh and I included the diagram of the light switch. OK found I think the orginal place I got info for the warning light switch. It is from Flyinfool. I posted his wiring diagram also I hope I dont get in trouble. In the post it tells you all parts needed. A lot of the kits come with a wiring harness now so you can disregaurd those included in a kit. The biggies you need are the switch, LED lite for warning and the resistor.

Edited by djh3

Mine came with a couple of metal tab like brackets. I used them and mounted it to a bolt for the radio equip. That way it has air flow around it. Oh and I included the diagram of the light switch. OK found I think the orginal place I got info for the warning light switch. It is from Flyinfool. I posted his wiring diagram also I hope I dont get in trouble. In the post it tells you all parts needed. A lot of the kits come with a wiring harness now so you can disregaurd those included in a kit. The biggies you need are the switch, LED lite for warning and the resistor.

I have no problem with posting links to what I wrote. Save me frome typing all of that over again.

If there is someone that really wants me to, I can figure out how to set the same thing up on a second gen. the circuit is the same, just the wire colors and locations will be different.

There's actually a circuit setup you can install on the bike that won't deliver power to the headlight until the engine is actually running after startup, which actually gives you a bit more cranking amps at startup since the headlight isn't on when you turn the key.. I don't have this on my bike at the moment but plan to rig it this winter.. a lot safer than risking forgetting to turn on your headlights via switch..

I don't have the schematics for this set up at hand but can hunt it down and post it if someone wants to have a look at it..

Cheers

I would like to see how they decided to do this. It was an option that I was considering but got lazy and did not put in the effort into figuring it out.

Jeff, yea me too. Once we got guys to chime in about this relay and delay this and that my head was spinning. Your idea was easiest and works just great. All I did was run it like th hand drawn first wire pic. I just put the switch inline using the HID kit relay wiring kit. Just interrupt the power closing the realy and your there. Works fine lasts long time. :cool10: