IGNORED

Market Rearch_What would you pay for a new redesigned Venture?

RSTDdog

What would you pay for a redesigned Venture?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. What would you pay for a redesigned Venture?

• I would buy a new Venture today
    • I would wait and buy iy used
    • Not in market till currrent bike dies
    • Maintain Cruiser base styling
    • Update to modern styling

SO what would you pay for a new venture with FI, ABS, Aluminum frame, Full fairing, bags trunk, radio, intercom, bluetooth, etc. This assumes most peoples desire for the Venture to remain a full on luxo tourer similar to HD, WING and BWW. While you can choose more than one option, try and keep your selections consistent. For instance if you are not going to buy till your current bike dies or you are waiting to buy used, don't select what you pay for a new one, since technically you wouldn't buy a new one.

If you are providing info in a post like I would pay the samee as brand X model, provide what that bike costs so we don't all have to guess and look it up.

Thanks

RSTDdog

Edited by RSTDdog

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/triumph-trophy-se/

This. I have never been a fan of the Harley clone, Nice bikes but not my style. The problem is Yamaha has missed the boat badly. the fjr1300 is not a sport/touring bike. It's a sportbike that has bags.

On the same note, I dont want a full size car that the Goldwing has become. I want a bike that can fit in a garage easily next to the car, is comfortable for 1000 mile rides and is comfortable for the wife on the back. BMW can do it with the 1200LT and triumph promises the same thing.

I like the current style and as such the Harley Ultra and the Victory Vision/XC are also on my list.In order for my wife to ride with me I need to convert to a trike.I have gone to a Goldwing Trike now but I hope to go back to a Royal Star trike soon.I have ridden the Yamaha V4 since 1986 and I loved my Royal Stars. Just real dissapointed in the way Yamaha has (not) developed the platform and done its marketing.

There needs to be another catagory for the voting. I would NOT buy a venture. If I can ever get another bike it will be an 09 or later harley ultra classic. Yamaha couldn't do anything to the venture to make me get another one.

Wow ediddy! Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel. LOL.

The poll is, to quote Arte Johnson, veerrryyy interesting.

The most popular price [$22500] is what I would pay if I were in the position to buy new. But as my next bike will almost certainly be a trike, I have to buy used as buying one new just isn't going to happen. I can't justify putting $30k+ into a bike. And if I don't end up having to buy a trike, the next bike will alsmot certainly be a RSV/RSTD as all of the other touring bikes, most especially the GW or that Triumph are too tall. 32 in seat heights and 28 in inseams do not mix. Otherwise, I would have been hunting for a GW this past year+ instead of a RS.

It will be interesting to see how this all comes out. :mo money:

I think my deal is done. the Honda shop is willing to give me 7500. asa trade in on my Venture. going down on Saturday to talk to them. On a 2012 1800, with 6093 miles on it.

Be careful my friend, I think you're vastly underestimating how much you're gonna miss a cassette player.

The poll is, to quote Arte Johnson, veerrryyy interesting.

The most popular price [$22500] is what I would pay if I were in the position to buy new. But as my next bike will almost certainly be a trike, I have to buy used as buying one new just isn't going to happen. I can't justify putting $30k+ into a bike. And if I don't end up having to buy a trike, the next bike will alsmot certainly be a RSV/RSTD as all of the other touring bikes, most especially the GW or that Triumph are too tall. 32 in seat heights and 28 in inseams do not mix. Otherwise, I would have been hunting for a GW this past year+ instead of a RS.

It will be interesting to see how this all comes out. :mo money:

Well......let's have a debate here. I have owned 2 RSV's (both 99's), one GL1500 Goldwing and my current GL1800 Goldwing. The lowest seat height out of those 4 (Measured by my ability to reach the ground) is the GL1800. I wear a 28 inseam pant size, and those are even a bit long. The specs on the GL1800 say the seat height is 29.1 inches. Where are you getting the 32" from?

That being said, just today my spare seat was delivered to Mean City Cycles for modification. They are going to lower it and narrow the front so I can hopefully flat-foot it. I should have it back in roughly one week from today. Can't wait to try it.

My RSV's both had pillow top seats, and were a stretch to reack the ground, even more so than my current Wing.

Joe

This is kind of off the subject of the poll, but since some are talking about Goldwings, I wanna say this.......Goldwings are SWEET bikes.

They have been around so long in their current state that I am a bit bored with them, but make no mistake, they are sweet rides. As a matter of fact, you would be hard pressed to ligitimately bash them for anything.

Take the skin off them and they are aluminum framed sport bikes. They have a motor that'll smoke any other touring machine on the road except maybe the new BMW K1600GTL. The passenger seat is a freakin La-Z-Boy. Has all the gadgets. Yank any trailer you wanna hook up to it. The list goes on and on.

I completely understand when I see folks on this forum leave the Venture for the Goldwing. It's Yamaha's fault that that would happen.

The one and only reason there isn't one parked in my garage is my knees. Okay, I guess that's two reasons since I have two knees. I've had six knee surgeries due to sports injuries in my past, and the foot position on the GW makes for knees that are killing me after a long ride. I like the feet forward position of the Yamaha and other bikes because I can move my feet around and stretch them out on the hwy pegs if i need to. I know you can put hwy pegs on the GW, but when my feet are spread outside the engine heads on the pegs, it feels like a woman at the OBGYN getting an exam. Also, another real problem for me when I ride the GW, is since I'm a giant with long legs, the front of my knees constantly rub the fairing. It drives me crazy. These are problems with my body, not the bike.

I love Yamaha's, and would step up to a new Venture if they ever update it, but Goldwings are at the top of the heap of tourers.

This is kind of off the subject of the poll, but since some are talking about Goldwings, I wanna say this.......Goldwings are SWEET bikes.

They have been around so long in their current state that I am a bit bored with them, but make no mistake, they are sweet rides. As a matter of fact, you would be hard pressed to ligitimately bash them for anything.

Take the skin off them and they are aluminum framed sport bikes. They have a motor that'll smoke any other touring machine on the road except maybe the new BMW K1600GTL. The passenger seat is a freakin La-Z-Boy. Has all the gadgets. Yank any trailer you wanna hook up to it. The list goes on and on.

I completely understand when I see folks on this forum leave the Venture for the Goldwing. It's Yamaha's fault that that would happen.

The one and only reason there isn't one parked in my garage is my knees. Okay, I guess that's two reasons since I have two knees. I've had six knee surgeries due to sports injuries in my past, and the foot position on the GW makes for knees that are killing me after a long ride. I like the feet forward position of the Yamaha and other bikes because I can move my feet around and stretch them out on the hwy pegs if i need to. I know you can put hwy pegs on the GW, but when my feet are spread outside the engine heads on the pegs, it feels like a woman at the OBGYN getting an exam. Also, another real problem for me when I ride the GW, is since I'm a giant with long legs, the front of my knees constantly rub the fairing. It drives me crazy. These are problems with my body, not the bike.

I love Yamaha's, and would step up to a new Venture if they ever update it, but Goldwings are at the top of the heap of tourers.

Wish could give me about 4" of your leg length. We'd both be more comfy on our bikes!

:big-grin-emoticon:

ive been watching some bmw k1300gt's online. similar to my first gen i size and seat height, cept it has every farkle...standard. heated grips,big luggage, heated seat, adjustable windscreen, and a huge dose of power with excellent braking. late model gt are running under 20k...yep...thats what its gonna be....

ive been watching some bmw k1300gt's online. similar to my first gen i size and seat height, cept it has every farkle...standard. heated grips,big luggage, heated seat, adjustable windscreen, and a huge dose of power with excellent braking. late model gt are running under 20k...yep...thats what its gonna be....

My cousin bought a BMW R1200RT last April and he and his wife have ridden the hair off that thing, and they love it!

It has stereo, XM radio, heated grips, heated seats, cruise, all kind of ride adjustments. They love getting to the hotel and popping the saddle bags and trunk of the bike and carrying them into the room.

I also have a friend that purchased a BMW K1600GTL about a month ago. I got my first look at it a couple weeks ago and, WOW, that suckers way bigger than I thought it would be. Its about the size of a Goldwing, and has the new inline 6.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/triumph-trophy-se/

This. I have never been a fan of the Harley clone, Nice bikes but not my style. The problem is Yamaha has missed the boat badly. the fjr1300 is not a sport/touring bike. It's a sportbike that has bags.

On the same note, I dont want a full size car that the Goldwing has become. I want a bike that can fit in a garage easily next to the car, is comfortable for 1000 mile rides and is comfortable for the wife on the back. BMW can do it with the 1200LT and triumph promises the same thing.

Would you pay 19,000 for one? http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/triumph-trophy-se-price/

Looks like a nice bike. 10k mile valve adjustments on a touring bike though. Couldn't tell if its a shafty or not. I would prefer shaft. Off topic ( I can hijack my own thread I guess)Yamaha could easily do this to the FJR and likelycould sell it for 2k less.

Hmmm...

I'm in an odd position as I always bought my Venture to put a sidecar on it, though I put a few thousand miles on it solo first. My Venture has never been good on petrol, so as a tourer it was limited on range. It was a very fast and comfortable armchair that went around corners too, but it was too big and heavy for much of the time. In the UK I just have no need of a 750lb 1200cc motorcycle because I don't sit on motorways all day - I live in London. If I was touring more and wanted a bike that size, I'd wonder why a turbodiesel option wasn't available, or at least an engine that could do 50mpg like I'm told the BMW can do. Or better.

I really WOULD NOT want linked brakes though, although I've no objection to ABS.

And a built-in upgradeable computer that could cope with GPS, mp3 player and gave feedback on the engine/diagnostics in a comprehensible form.

Yamaha could easily do this to the FJR and likelycould sell it for 2k less.

but they wont. More ST1300's are sold than FJR's and the Kawasaki Concours 14 is better than those two as well. Yamaha is completely ignoring the touring segment where the people with money spend. the sportbikes are mostly ridden by kids that have never seen a $1000 bill in their life let alone even have a pair of 20's in their pocket, yet Yamaha seems to chase the low end cheap sportbikes more than any other segment.

I have ridden Yamaha most of my life, but I'm looking at the Triumph and the BMW's now. the ST is not good for the pillon rider and the queen demands comfort. and I just dont have a 3 car garage to hold my sportscar and a goldwing.

This is going sideways but what the heck.

I've been a fan of GW's ever since they first came out over 30 years ago. But I can't ride them. I won't ride a bike I can't flatfoot. I'm on the balls of my feet on one if I'm lucky. The "official" seat height may be 29in but with the spread of the floorboards, for me it might as well be 32. And since neither the 1500s or the 1800s can be lowered, all I can do is drool over one in the yellow paint job, my favorite color in GW's. Especially in the $40k+ Champion trike I saw a few years back!

But lower a RSV an inch front and rear like Owen's '08, or Gunboat's '99 [both sold now], both of which I've ridden, and I can flatfoot them. I also find it interesting that on my TC, put the Mustang seat it came with on it and I can't flatfoot it but put the "Butlerized" stock seat on it and I can. I am closer to flatfooting with the Mustang seat [maybe a 1/2in] than I am on a stock RSV. And my TC is not a top heavy GW or RSV so I can handle the difference. Now I just have to get the rest of the bike to fit me and not the 6 footer who owned it. And get the Mustang trimmed down in front so I can get my feet down all the way. :) The trip home on that seat when I bought the bike, some 1400 miles from Illinois to Houston with a lil side trip to Bogaloosa, taught me just why those seats are worth the big bucks.

A GW trike is the only way I'll ever be able to ride one. I'm keeping an eye on the Spyder RT's as well. With luck, I might find a RSV trike. I'm beginning to think hen's teeth are more common! ;)

Well......let's have a debate here. I have owned 2 RSV's (both 99's), one GL1500 Goldwing and my current GL1800 Goldwing. The lowest seat height out of those 4 (Measured by my ability to reach the ground) is the GL1800. I wear a 28 inseam pant size, and those are even a bit long. The specs on the GL1800 say the seat height is 29.1 inches. Where are you getting the 32" from?

That being said, just today my spare seat was delivered to Mean City Cycles for modification. They are going to lower it and narrow the front so I can hopefully flat-foot it. I should have it back in roughly one week from today. Can't wait to try it.

My RSV's both had pillow top seats, and were a stretch to reack the ground, even more so than my current Wing.

Joe

I gave up waiting for Yamaha/Star and bought a Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS. Paid 17.5K out the door with 6 years warranty. Fuel injection, ABS, Frame mounted fairing with trunk and bags, 6 speed with virtually no whine, belt drive with no drive lash. Built in radio and intercom (but you have to pay for the cables to connect the headset). Once past the break in period the motor is smooth and well mannered, not like some v-twins. Handles very well, tracks straight and true and doesn't feel like a pig in the parking lot.

Would I like an updated Venture? You bet. Will I consider it if or when Yamaha/Star builds one? I'll have to see what they come up with. I'm glad I rode the RSTD and I really enjoyed the V4 motor. But life goes on and I can't wait for some motor company to make what I want when the competition is willing and the price is right.