IGNORED

rear wheel removal with center stand

jilldwr

I just mounted a 1st gen center stand on my 99 RSV. I now need to remove the rear wheel to replace the wheel bearings. Is it possible to do this using the center stand instead of the bike lift? I'd hate to remove the center stand to facilitate the bike lift.

I'd have to remove both bags and one side rail but will I still need to jack the bike up to get the wheel out or is the center stand going to be high enough ( the rear wheel is 1.5" off the floor with the center stand).

Yes it can be done. The trick is to remove the front tire first. Then you can tilt the bike toward the front with the help of a small jack placed behind the centerstand raising the rear of the bike high enough to remove the rear wheel.

Sure and if ya want to take the tour pack and rear fender off and hang it all from the rafters.....blah. BLah blah!

Asked and answered ( no ya can't) unless ya do a bunch of other items

No cant.

Mike

Sure and if ya want to take the tour pack and rear fender off and hang it all from the rafters.....blah. BLah blah!

Asked and answered ( no ya can't) unless ya do a bunch of other items

No cant.

Mike

I beg to differ,

The question was can you remove the back tire without removeing the centerstand.

The answer is yes you can.... by doing the following........... Blah, Blah, Blah yourself

I beg to differ,

The question was can you remove the back tire without removeing the centerstand.

The answer is yes you can.... by doing the following........... Blah, Blah, Blah yourself

no need to beg, it won't help

read it again, his hope was that the centerstand would be high enough to perform the task alone without a jack and a board and a front wheel removal or a list of try this and try that.

if you look at the pictures that cougar posted, you will see that it requires that the rear fender tip to be as high as the top of the rear brake rotor of the rear wheel to allow you to remove the wheel.

enjoy your day. mike:080402gudl_prv:

no need to beg, it won't help

read it again, his hope was that the centerstand would be high enough to perform the task alone without a jack and a board and a front wheel removal or a list of try this and try that.

if you look at the pictures that cougar posted, you will see that it requires that the rear fender tip to be as high as the top of the rear brake rotor of the rear wheel to allow you to remove the wheel.

enjoy your day. mike:080402gudl_prv:

:doh:

I'm just saying, It is possible to do it as I suggested. I know because I have done it. Removing the front wheel only takes a minute or two and might be easier than removing the center stand to use the motorcycle lift. But, I really don't care it can be done any way he wants to do it.

Have a nice day:stickinouttounge:

I just mounted a 1st gen center stand on my 99 RSV. I now need to remove the rear wheel to replace the wheel bearings. Is it possible to do this using the center stand instead of the bike lift? I'd hate to remove the center stand to facilitate the bike lift.

I'd have to remove both bags and one side rail but will I still need to jack the bike up to get the wheel out or is the center stand going to be high enough ( the rear wheel is 1.5" off the floor with the center stand).

#1. Part of your question as follows in my view...*No sir, you will not be able to remove the rear wheel with just the center stand.

#2. Why remove the center stand ?...* I have a 2007 Royal Star Tour Deluxe with a used Yamaha center stand mounted. I never have to remove it to jack the bike up to remove the rear wheel ???

#3. I bought my center stand and the attaching bolts from Ponch here on this site. Ponch told me and taught me this;

A. Nice to have the center stand when winter comes and you want to lift your bike up off the tires for winter storage.

B. Carry a 9 1/2 " long piece of 2" X 4" with you at all times in your saddle bag. Use the 2" X 4" to place under and in front of the rear tire. Pull the bike onto the 2" X 4" and stop when it is sitting on the 2" X 4". Now put your bike onto the center stand. This makes it much much easier. Also in the event that you have a flat on the front while traveling, after you have the bike on the center stand. While applying some lift to the front end, remove the 2" X 4" from under the rear tire and put this 9 1/2" long 2" X 4" up and down length ways in under the frame in the front to get the weight off the front tire to fix it. Also you can do this in the winter to give the front wheel a good cleaning to.

**I carry a Wall Mart cheap cigarette type plug in air compressor in my saddle bag, with a new tire plug kit. You can temporarily fix a flat on the front or rear if you have a center stand. My feeling is that you would need to get the weight off the tire to properly fix and inflate the tire. Don't forget the 2" X 4" to fix the front and to aid in getting the bike on the center stand. If you do not have a cigarette type plug on your bike, you can put alligator clips on the power ends of the air compressor and simply remove the seat and place on the battery terminals.**

C. To lift the bike upon to the center stand.

Grab the handle bar with your left hand. This is after you have put down your side stand.

Grab the rail around your hard bag with your right hand.

Put your right foot firmly on the center stand spur and hold pressure down on it as you you lift and pull the bike toward the rear. You may have to try a few times, but it does get easier after a few trial runs.

D. To put the bike back down. Sit upon the bike and with your side stand down, gently roll the bike forward and off the center stand while watching and being careful of the side stand.

Now that your center stand is up, you can put the side stand up.

** If your side stand is interfering with your center stand. You can very carefully grind the very end of the center stand off. I did mine while applying cold wet rags to keep from building up heat and damaging the chrome on the side stand. Worked fine and no damage. **

The higher the rear tire is off the ground, the easier it is on the old body anyhow. I did see a first gen at Don's MD that had the front wheel off, and the n the rear also. But with these second gen bikes, I would jack them up on a good bike jack or bike lift. I use a bike lift from Harbor Freight that I got a good deal on. I also use my center stand to hold the bike up while on the bike lift. For you still have to have the weight of the bike onto something.

I hope this helps you with your center stand jlldwr.

Regards,

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

No you do not. If you try my method you will find out it works extreamly well without the use of a 2X4.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1393

I think this is what hes talking about. As for me I used the 2x4 and just pulled the rear out from under it. I had mine out to pull the rear pumpkin when it went south.

David

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1393

I think this is what hes talking about. As for me I used the 2x4 and just pulled the rear out from under it. I had mine out to pull the rear pumpkin when it went south.

David

I think so to David. But jilldwr has a 99 RSV. That's why I thoroughly explained everything.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

Before your bike goes over! Make sure you have a tie down strap. To hold the center stand from collapsing. Use the strap to tie the center stand to the forward engine guard. Snug it up good and tight. Dont ask my about how I know... There is a how too. on this in the first gen section. You should read it.:223: