IGNORED

What is a GOOD 3/4 Helmet?

Guest Popeye

If your getting a 3/4 with a full shield like that that pivots close to the ear, why not just get a modular? You get the protection benefit of a full helmet plus the ability to flip either the shield or the entire front of the helmet. I picked up 2 from VOX. They have the separate tinted, flip-down shade and weren't but $100. Got them for cold weather and ridin the Wing (headsets,intercom, etc.)

http://www.sterlingtek.com/voxfufaflupm.html

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/82000038/Images/1/helmetcool2.gif

That seems like a very good price for a helmet with so many features.

`

I've been using $40. 3/4 Fulmer helmets for the past couple years. They're 'green' [probably reason for good price.

Mine gives me a sore spot on top of forehead after a few hundred miles, & Nav needs a face shield with hinge by ear, to block all air....she wears goggles with shield now due to dry eyes, but can't wear her glasses to see.

We don't want full style, just 3/4 for a decent price.

They are easy to find in catalogs, but that's like buying shoes from a catalog.

I don't like a face shield, but it's a necessity for Nav.

The visor is good for me to keep sun out, but Nav just needs shield with room for glasses, which are hard to find.

I can move ears & mics over.

Mine is easy, just a comfortable 3/4 & visor.

Nav is harder with shield allowing room for glasses & pivot at ear, to keep air out.

Any suggestions?

Not about Helmet, but I do have a suggestion for the glasses. My dealer had what looked like goggles, but very, very compact that were specifically made to go over glasses. I got some for my son since he wears glasses and sometimes doesn't like the wind. You might try looking around for those types of glasses/goggles..

Guest KitCarson

Helmets are kinda like your clothes.......not any one helmet can do it all. For me it takes two.......in the summer I use a regular 3/4 Nolan , when it starts getting cooler and temps start to vary....I use a modular. Modulars are great in the winter......keep that cold air out..and as the day warms and you are cruising through some little town......you can flip it up and get some fresh air. In summer.....if you are like me......it will be flipped up all the time anyway, and that does make for a lot of air noise at interstate speeds. Been trying out a CL33 with shield this winter........still makes a lot of noise....so come summer will go back to old reliable......

Sometimes.......when by myself........on a hot humid boiling day....temps close to or over 100........on a two hour lazy ride on the back roads......I will put that helmet in the trunk!! Yea I know.......Kit the safety nut.......well do have my weak moments too!! Beautiful day.......life is good.....powerful bike.....not a care in the world.......hey I mean once in awhile one just has to enjoy life!!

www.helmetshop.com

Good luck!

Thanks for the link, Nav likes the N-42 with the extra dark shield & will keep enough wind out

http://www.helmetshop.com/mmHEL/Images/S39-9810.jpgIt has pivot back a ways to help keep wind out. Those 'snap-ons' don't do it well enough for her.

It has to be shiny black to match our new scoot, but $189. is a bit stiff.

We'll just have to try one on her.....with glasses on....she's tired of missing the scenery.

Myself, I can do with any DOT, 3/4 that fits [XXL], no face shield & just move our J&M speakers/mics over.

Eileen and I use the Nolan N41 Classics. We really like them. They have flip up shields. Mine is in the up position almost 100% of the time but she likes hers down. We both wear glasses with them and they work great.

This link has some details and pictures. I'm using it to show the models, I've never bought from this company and know nothing about them.

http://www.extremesupply.com/nolanhelmets/n41classic.htm

Same helmet that Donna and I wear. They are really great fit, quality, and comfort. You can remove the faceshield if you don't want one on your helmet.

Joe

Thanks for the link, Nav likes the N-42 with the extra dark shield & will keep enough wind out

http://www.helmetshop.com/mmHEL/Images/S39-9810.jpgIt has pivot back a ways to help keep wind out. Those 'snap-ons' don't do it well enough for her.

It has to be shiny black to match our new scoot, but $189. is a bit stiff.

We'll just have to try one on her.....with glasses on....she's tired of missing the scenery.

Myself, I can do with any DOT, 3/4 that fits [XXL], no face shield & just move our J&M speakers/mics over.

The best i could find is $154.95 take a look below.

www.extremesupply.com/nolanhelmets/n42.htm

I just realized, looking at Z Factor's post, that my post may have given the impression that the VOX came with the headsets at $100 apiece. NO! I'm adding those separately. I still feel like it's still a good deal for a very good quality, modular helmet with the flip-down internal sun-shade.

Sorry for the misleading wording in my original post. My bad!

autopilot

The helmet I really want isn't available in the states yet.

http://www.reevu.com/images/silverthumb.jpghttp://www.reevu.com/images/frthumb.jpg Yeah, rearview built in!

www.reevu.com

The best i could find is $154.95 take a look below.

www.extremesupply.com/nolanhelmets/n42.htm

Cost $155. and No shipping, that's doable.

Nav wears regular/normal size glasses, but does need them to see any distance. Sort of the reason for long rides.

I can probably get the size right 'Med' & return if 'glasses' are a problem.

Is there room for wearing glasses with this one?

Nav really likes the Nolan 42N-COM, but hates the white letter ADVERTISING written on it.

How to repaint a helmet, or who makes a good one without ADVERTISING written on it?

Nav really likes the Nolan 42N-COM, but hates the white letter ADVERTISING written on it.

How to repaint a helmet, or who makes a good one without ADVERTISING written on it?

I think any good quality helmet is going to have the brand name right in the finish, but I've seen a few 'el cheapos' made by companies, that private label their helmets, that use decals for obvious reasons....

I just ordered my new helmet and it's the same one as squid and Lonna use. It's gonna cost about 75 and it comes with the clear and tinted sheilds as well as the visor for when you don't want either for that price. Plus it covers your ears really well for those chilly days.

Margaret

• 14 years later...
On 1/29/2008 at 12:37 AM, Animal said:

These are my favs, and with the oval rather than round shape, it will take the pressure off your forhead.

Debi

1/2 helmet is the same as NO helmet because it doesn’t protect the back of the skull which is where the vast majority of disabling or deadly impacts occur.

I’ve had high end Shoei and lower end Bell helmets and have to say that my current 3/4 is the most comfortable I’ve ever had.

it’s a Scorpion EXO 220. The air vents on the top you can actually feel the air flowing across the top of your scalp. Great for hot weather. Has a hidden drop down sun visor just like on fight pilot helmets.  The lining is removable for washing too.  And best part is the helmet comes in at about $150.

It also comes with a full face clear shield that attaches if you want additional “bug” protection.

Edited by ChiefGunner