IGNORED

RSV rear wheel bearing question

Im rebuilding the rear wheel with all new bearings, spacers and seals. I have a question on the proper positioning of a spacer flange on the disc brake side of the wheel so maybe someone here who has had to rebuild their wheel and/or someone who has removed the bearings on that side can answer this. Or maybe someone who has a rear wheel laying around with the bearings removed can chime in too.

The spacer flange is a stamped steel spacer with one side flat and one side hollow. It goes into the wheel just behind the wheel bearing and seats into a cut-out in the axle opening, followed by the bearing. What I need to know is what side of the flange faces the bearing. The flat part, which im leaning to or the hollow portion? The parts fiche offers no help.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies but its obvious that I may not have explained it clearly. This spacer fits in behind the bearing, not on the outside of it. It becomes part of the inner wheel once its installed. The parts fishe shows the spacer but it does not show up on the wheel assembly page of the repair manual. The Factory Manual is known for its typos anyway. Sorry I cant post pics of it but the spacer is a stamped steel piece which is flat on the outside and has a hollow channel on the inside, almost like a hollowed out steel covered transmission seal if you get my drift. It fits into the wheel after the long spacer goes into the center of the wheel but before the bearing gets pressed in. Its followed by the bearing, then the c-clip and finally the dust seal. It looks like something that is usually never removed but since this wheel was chromed its apparent that the chromer removed this spacer during the hot tanking process.

I just want to make sure this spacer is installed facing the right way. Bubber may have been closest with his comment but since the wheel was tanked it removed any sign or mark that I may have been able to use here.

Got to it this AM. It actually fits cup side to the bearing but it needs to be tapped into place over the long center spacer until the spacer sits flush with the cup lip. The whole assembly then drops into the space in the wheel and the bearing is then pressed into place. The spacer is designed to hold the long spacer centered in the wheel. Too bad the factory manual does not make this clear. Wrapped the install up today and the wheel is back on.