IGNORED

Front end question

I was going 35 MPG and I let go of the handel bars to zip up my jacket, I know I shouldn't ever take both my hands off grips , but that being said at that speed the front wheel really started to wobble, I that I was going down for a moment it was that bad, at first I thought it was just the road but I tried it again and again the wobble. I also tried at 30 mpg and 40 and zero wobble. What should I be looking at ? Thanks

Look at the following in this order although its not uncommon for a front end wobble at certain speeds.

Front tire pressure

rear tire pressure

front tire cupping

stearing head bearings for proper tightness on rebound

I have one with everything right still wobbles at 32mph to 35 mph everything is good and thats just the speed its gonna happen on my 84 the 83 it happens at 25 to 30 both bikes are stable at 125 no wobble so its a resonate frequency that causes most wobbles at certain speeds.If all is good then just go with it and dont take both hands off at that speed I do it all the time so I wont tell you not to take your hands off.

Good luck

Jeff

In addition to loose steering head bearings and swing arm bearings, some tires make this a lot worse. Both my 83 (purchased new) and my 89 (bought 4 years ago) had Bridgetone front tires on them when purchased. They both had a tendency to wobble a bit here and there. When I put Elite II's on the 83, that tendency was gone. It was fine with Metzlers and Avons also. With Avon's on my 89, it feels great, but then I don't take both hands off the handlebars either.

Frank D.

My '84 does it also in that range. I've done new tires front and rear, check the pressure and balance, installed new head bearings and checked the swing arm. After all was done it was much better but it's still there, Not nearly as bad, but there none the less. Nature of the beast I guess.

Adding a lil twist to the gas brings it back to right real fast.

Mike

Adding a lil twist to the gas brings it back to right real fast.

Mike

That little bit of advice is exactly why I am riding a 1st gen, it does bring back a painful memory.

Old man was a pro racer & one of the things he oft told me was if the front end goes into a wobble, crank on the power & it will straighten out.

One fall afternoon we were out riding, dad was pulling away on his new 750 honda I was next on a 350 honda with a fork mounted fairing and brother & his friend behind. I took off after the old man & went over a hump in road that pulled the front up a little. Bike started wobbling slightly due to air catching the fork mounted fairing and pushing it. So heeding the words of wisdom, I gave that little 350 all it had and hung on, just knowing it would smooth out very soon. But the wooble did not improve, it got worse, but the old man said give it power and I did. When bike finally came out from under me, it left 3 tire marks on the road about 30 degrees from center for 1st other way for 2nd and back for 3rd one. Bike went down fairly hard a caught my leg under it but didn't break it. Learned this after trip to ER and rather than xray leg, doctor told me to get up on it, which I painfully did and he said it was fine.

Old man did mention on way to hospital about difference between wind & wheel wobble at least. It was interesting how close we were to house when this happened also, dad went and got car while my brother got me out of ditch.

And that is why I despise fork mounted fairing bikes.

Gary

Thanks, I have Avons on the bike, i checked all the items metioned and they seem to check out, I'm guessing it's just the nature of the beast.

No . . . Maybe

My '85 was stable as an oil tanker until I replaced the steering head bearings and fork seals. Now it feels loose all the time and at moderate speeds it wants to wag its head. I am still trying to figure it out. I know that my steering head bearings keep getting loose and I guess I haven't tightened them correctly yet. However, even right after tightening the steering head when the beast is at its best, it is still not back to where it was . . . :confused24:

I will keep reading posts until a brain fart occurs :whistling: