IGNORED

Question for our southern friends

steamer

Robin and I are seriously thinking about retiring in the south and are looking into 55 plus manufactured home communities. We have found a bunch in FLA. But very little to no info in any other states. We are looking in NC, SC, GA, and FL. Does anyone here live in, or know of such communities. Looking for any and all info and opinions.

Guest scarylarry

I was born and raise in Nashville Tn. and I don't know of manufactured home communities, do know of some stick built homes communities..

They are very pricey too..

I'm 3 yrs from retiring and somewhat in the same boat, looked manufactured home communities and some good friends in Florida told me that if I could stand it get a nice 5th wheel in case you have to leave for a hurricane, keep in mind the folks lived where Ivan and Opal came through...

Robin and I are seriously thinking about retiring in the south and are looking into 55 plus manufactured home communities. We have found a bunch in FLA. But very little to no info in any other states. We are looking in NC, SC, GA, and FL. Does anyone here live in, or know of such communities. Looking for any and all info and opinions.

This one is lose to where I live and has a good reputation.

http://www.55places.com/south-carolina/communities/del-webb-charleston

I think this calls for a vote........:whistling:

If it were me - I would decide what state or area ya want first. What kind of weather you want to live in. Ive traveled up and down the east coast quit a bit, and for us we just fell in love with N.C. Seemed perfect for what climate we wanted and had mountains close and ocean too. Lots of things to do, if ya like to explore. Then I would go from there but thats just me.

The Del Webb community in Summerville is nice with security gate, pool clubhouse and ponds. HOA fees include lawn care services but not sure about exterior maintenance. These are stick built homes and not manufactured or modular homes. There is another retirement community close to Bluffton SC around the Hilton Head Island area. This is also a Del Webb, stick built community but has some legal issues going on with some of the homes regarding moisture behind the exterior siding I believe.

If you have not spent much time in Florida and you are thinking of living here year round I would suggest you visit for a few weeks in the summer so you you can get a taste of the heat and humidity, you may not like it, I don't.

In the summer the Atlantic coast is some what cooler that the Gulf coast and a lot cooler that the interior of the state. The interior (Gainesville south to Brooksville) will offer the best riding. If I were going to live in a manufactured home in Florida I would not do it with in 40 miles of either coast because of the hurricanes.

There is a nice retirement area north of Leesburg called the Villages, but I think those are conventional structures.

If you have not spent much time in Florida and you are thinking of living here year round I would suggest you visit for a few weeks in the summer so you you can get a taste of the heat and humidity, you may not like it, I don't.

In the summer the Atlantic coast is some what cooler that the Gulf coast and a lot cooler that the interior of the state. The interior (Gainesville south to Brooksville) will offer the best riding. If I were going to live in a manufactured home in Florida I would not do it with in 40 miles of either coast because of the hurricanes.

There is a nice retirement area north of Leesburg called the Villages, but I think those are conventional structures.

I spent 6 weeks in Orlando in Aug. when I was in the Navy. I got use to the heat pretty quick. But then again I was also a Steam plant operator at the time. Thats where the name comes from. If it is FL. we choose, It will probably be north central.

We owned a manufactured home in a community in Delaware, Pot- Nets rite on the bay, It was a land lease deal, you really need to do your homework on this type of deal. We spent 12 yrs in this arrangement, the lease went thru the roof and the value of your house tanked because of it.

:080402gudl_prv: Craig

I live in central Fl. Sebring I can be on the Gulf in 2 hours or in Coca Beach area in about 3. Lots of manufacture type homes down here and stick built for cheap if you look around. Some in comunities like it sounds your looking for. Duplex/town home type stuff. The manufactured stuff is going pretty cheap as it aint selling very well and seems to be alot on market. Be picky. Dang sure check on the HOA or lot fees. A friend of ours has a manufactured home in Lake Placid south of here by 20-30 miles and her fee is $400 something a month and she owns the house. I personaly would look into Fla and Ga as there is no state income tax. NC is high in some places for property taxs. The area over by Dalhonga Ga and Helen is nice and also rual setting. Close to mountians and should be cooler in summer.

Guest scarylarry

I agree Helen is a super nice area...I think they have a state income tax not sure on that but I know car tags are base on the value of the car and that cab get pricey..

Tn. has no state income tax and the tags can run 25.00 to as much 80.00 a year base on your county..

Mind are 80.00 a year and it is not base on the value of the car..

Tenn. does have a sales tax of 9.25 though but property taxes are cheaper here from what I hear, my home is value at 150k and my property taxes are 800.00 a yr..

Hopes this give you some insight of what area to look at..

I agree Helen is a super nice area...I think they have a state income tax not sure on that but I know car tags are base on the value of the car and that cab get pricey..

Tn. has no state income tax and the tags can run 25.00 to as much 80.00 a year base on your county..

Mind are 80.00 a year and it is not base on the value of the car..

Tenn. does have a sales tax of 9.25 though but property taxes are cheaper here from what I hear, my home is value at 150k and my property taxes are 800.00 a yr..

Hopes this give you some insight of what area to look at..

I wuold scare you if I told you what we pay for porperty tax up here. Lets just say we pay 3 times what you pay. If you live on the lake its 10 time more.

Guest scarylarry

I know the one thing is the more north you go the higher the price is..

I don't know if you tax more cause it is lake property or not here it don't matter it is what the house is value at and yes lake property is higher like everywhere...

I know I spent few weeks in Mass. and thought I would choke when one told me what they paid in property taxes...

I thought D***n I could buy a home for what they paid...

Guest scarylarry

more wealthy county usually charges less taxes than a poorer one.

Something is wrong with that picture...

I know my sister move from Clayton county over to Fayette county, years ago an she said it cost more to live there...

This is my brother's property in Florida. It is very close to the Gulf (3 or 4 miles) and in very good condition. I know he would entertain offers. I can get you some more pictures if you are interested.

I would suggest where ever you decide to go that you rent there for a few months first before you buy.

http://www.alligatorpark.com/homesforsale.php?view=details&cat=2&id=1

BOO